Should I Charge Them to Replace It?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I Charge Them to Replace It?

One of my AS kids borrowed my child's watch yesterday, then lost it outside. We can't find it anywhere, and it rained all night long last night. It wasn't a nice watch, but it was one that my child has owned for five years and was special to him. He's not horribly upset, but I am mad.

I didn't have time to address it with Mom yesterday at PU because we had to be somewhere in a hurry. Should I say something today, and would you ask them to pay to replace it? The value is probably only about ten dollars, but it is in my contract that they are responsible for repairing/replacing damaged items.

I wouldnt. This is why I only let kids play with things that aren't special. Sounds cold to say it out loud but after losing things due to other kids mistakes over and over...... We adopted this policy. I wouldnt ask for payment unless it was something like a window or a tv but even then I would consider it part of the territory of having other peoples kids in my home. And give them the option of replacing it even tho my policy states they do. If I am actively supervising them most things would be my fault anyway. Here I don't keep many school avers but the ones I do have the same rules as the babies. They stay in The same room with me.

Comment

You're right - I shouldn't have allowed it to happen in the first place. I'm thinking about making him look for it this afternoon until he finds it, rain or no rain (not that I'll make him look in the rain, that has stopped! ). Even if it's broken, I think he needs to take responsibility for losing it. Is that too harsh?

Comment

I think that's a great idea. After allhitting it with the mower would be bas and if parents find out and make comment as to asking why.... You could wzplain u let him borrow your sons watch and he lost it it was ruined and you wanted it found prior to mowing to prevent further expenses. They may offer to replace.

Comment

And seriously I'm tired of spell correct on this iPad! Lol

Comment

thats a tough one...i do think he needs to be held accountable. how old are we talking?

i had a similar type issue yesterday with a 3yr DCB...he ripped/shredded up a nice flap book. He knows better. I mentioned it to mom at p/u , i didnt charge her for it but did let her know that dcb will no longer be able to read books by himself. it broke his heart . i treasure books for kids and she knows this.

i did charge a mom once for a new PSP . her son who was suppose to be napping snuck off his mat (was on my sons floor since he coulddnt behave in the dcroom) and broke and took apart my sons PSP ....i called her immediately and told her what he did. she knew where he had to nap so she coudlnt pull the 'i wasnt watching him' kwim? needless to say she wasnt happy but she paid the $200 and then i termed a month later

sorry to hyjack your thread...i would mention to the mom and see how she reacts maybe? normally i charge for anything over $10

Comment

Wow! If it had been his DS or something expensive like a PSP, you can bet I'd be charging them!

This child is 8. He knows better.

Comment

After school mom....Ok...this might come out sounding a little grumpy but you either knew he had on your son's watch and didn't ask him to take it off or you were not watching him when he put it on. Either way I wouldn't charge the parents....let it slide.
                Bentley bands....in your post about the three year old tearing up a book you said "you walked into the room" and found him doing this. Personally I think if you leave a three year old out of your sight you are lucky if the only thing that has happened is that he ripped up a book. That sounds potentionaly dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by Live and Learn View Post
                  Bentley bands....in your post about the three year old tearing up a book you said "you walked into the room" and found him doing this. Personally I think if you leave a three year old out of your sight you are lucky if the only thing that has happened is that he ripped up a book. That sounds potentionaly dangerous.
                  dont you go to the bathroom? ever go lay a baby down? cook? sorry, i dont have eyes everywhere 24/7 ...

Comment

Originally posted by BentleysBands View Post
                    dont you go to the bathroom? ever go lay a baby down? cook? sorry, i dont have eyes everywhere 24/7 ...
                    I agree - we can't see everything. And 3 yo is old enough to know better!! You should be able to trust a 3 yo alone for a few minutes. I have a 2 year old and 2 1/2 year old here that are both trustworthy enough to leave if I have to potty or change a diaper or start lunch.

Comment

Originally posted by BentleysBands View Post
                      So true...no one can be expected to have eyes on even one child ALL the time, never mind multiple children! We have to do so many things that demand our attention, it's impossible. Answer the phone, put something in the garbage, break up a fight, put on a bandaid, change a diaper...

Comment

Originally posted by Luna View Post
                        So true...no one can be expected to have eyes on even one child ALL the time, never mind multiple children! We have to do so many things that demand our attention, it's impossible. Answer the phone, put something in the garbage, break up a fight, put on a bandaid, change a diaper...
                        u answer the phone?! ::

Comment

I'm just wondering how old your own son is? Did he borrow the watch out to the 8 yr SA kid or did the SA kid ask him for it? Just asking because all of that would make a difference to me in deciding what to do. I have an 8 yr SA boy and he is forever manipulating the younger kids to give stuff to him etc. If your son is the same age, then maybe he should be talked to about what things he is allowed and not allowed to borrow out to others and he should understand that he can say no and things can happen when he borrows stuff out etc. My own kids were never allowed to borrow anything out unless they basically didn't care about it because that kind of stuff does happen. My own ds borrowed out a Gameboy game in 3rd grade and other kid lost it. My son knew the rules and was outta luck. The other boy was nice enough to offer one up in trade so it was ok. Anyways, the point I was making was everyone needs to understand the rules about borrowing before anything can really be done...kwim.

Comment

I didn't know that he had the watch until after the fact - when he came up to me and told me that he'd lost it. My own child is a year younger than this one. You're right in that I should just have a discussion with my own kids about what is and is not appropriate for play/lending.

Also, just for the record, my regular group of kids are 7, 8 (x2) 10, and 11, so I don't really feel the need to keep my eyes literally on them at all times while they're here, though we do all stay in the same three rooms in my house. It's different when I have younger ones here! If I sat and stared at them all afternoon, it would probably creep them out.

Comment

,.. I didnt know you weer mostly bigger kids. . ok, so he took it without asking?? thats different. Yes, he stole it from your son and left it outside and ruined it., he should either do extra chores at your house,... (think organizing bookshelves, or helping your son straighten his room,.. or replace the watch with his own money and his parents should be told.

Originally posted by AfterSchoolMom View Post
                              I didn't know that he had the watch until after the fact - when he came up to me and told me that he'd lost it. My own child is a year younger than this one. You're right in that I should just have a discussion with my own kids about what is and is not appropriate for play/lending.

Also, just for the record, my regular group of kids are 7, 8 (x2) 10, and 11, so I don't really feel the need to keep my eyes literally on them at all times while they're here, though we do all stay in the same three rooms in my house. It's different when I have younger ones here! If I sat and stared at them all afternoon, it would probably creep them out.

Comment

Working...
                              X