X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mommymuffin

how is dh?

Thanks for asking!
    So this past weekend my hubby has been drinking a lot of water and peeing a lot, I had thought perhaps he had diabeties so I made him the first appointment yesterday morning. He had to go in without me because I had dc kids. He came home and said...yep I have diabeties. He already has ulcerative colitis and is thin as a rail so it didnt make much sense but he does have it...at 27 yo.

Then he went in the basement with his dad to work on the basement for my daycare. He came up stair and at the top of the stairs I saw him. His hand was on the baby gate and it was shaking like crazy...then I looked up to his face and it was white as a ghost and his eyes were open really wide and not focused on anything (later he told me he lost his vision walking up the stairs).
    I grabbed him and helped him into a chair. Then his head fell back on the chair and his eyes rolled back and he wouldnt talk to me. My dc kids were sitting right there on the couch, thank god they are too young to know what was happening. I was crying..that went on for 30 seconds then he started talking again. Come to find out it was because he was dehydrated so bad.

To make a long story shorter after taking him to the doctors again and then rushing him to the hospital, he was discharged last night at 7. Thank goodness he is ok, it didnt happen when he was driving and he is safe! Whew!

His sugar is still high, last night it was 567 and I was up all night just terrified something was going to happen to him..I was just waiting for a seizure or something.

He is okay and I am soooo thankful!! I really thought I was losing him.
    I am still shook up but I am trying to settle down for the sake of the baby.

Thanks for asking and listening!

Comment

wow, how scary,... please know we are thinking of him, and you and update us now and again ok?

Comment

Hang in there...it gets easier. My own dh got diabetes about 4 yrs ago. By the time he went in his numbers were averaging 600+ or so. He takes 3-4 insulin shots per day and checks his blood sugar twice as much. He also takes a shot at night to carry him through into the wee hours of the morning. He is 6'3 and 180lbs so the Dr.s couldn't believe he had those numbers. All is well now and with a little tweaking to the family diet he has his numbers under great control now. Can't remember a day he has been over 130 in a long time. It is the low numbers that freak me out. His all time low is 22. He lost an older brother due to complications related to diabetes. His brother was nearly blind and had already lost a leg. He was 34 when he died. He is very much on top of it though so we manage. If you ever need any advice, let me know. It is definitely an illness that effects the entire family!

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
          Hang in there...it gets easier. My own dh got diabetes about 4 yrs ago. By the time he went in his numbers were averaging 600+ or so. He takes 3-4 insulin shots per day and checks his blood sugar twice as much. He also takes a shot at night to carry him through into the wee hours of the morning. He is 6'3 and 180lbs so the Dr.s couldn't believe he had those numbers. All is well now and with a little tweaking to the family diet he has his numbers under great control now. Can't remember a day he has been over 130 in a long time. It is the low numbers that freak me out. His all time low is 22. He lost an older brother due to complications related to diabetes. His brother was nearly blind and had already lost a leg. He was 34 when he died. He is very much on top of it though so we manage. If you ever need any advice, let me know. It is definitely an illness that effects the entire family!
          They said they dont know if it is type I or type II and they gave him no insulin.
          I do have a question: I am meeting him at the doctor after he gets off work and I wanted to bring him something to eat...but I have no idea what? I gave him 2 turkey sandwiches for lunch.
          Thanks for the support.

Comment

Originally posted by laundrymom View Post
            wow, how scary,... please know we are thinking of him, and you and update us now and again ok?
            Will do! It is so nice to chat with you all about anything and everything!

Comment

Basically anything with sugar carbs is bad for any type of diabetic. Carbs should be like whole grains and carbs that come naturally in foods. For snacking my husband eats protein snacks like jerky and beef sticks and cheese. He tries to avid the processed food stuff that is nothing but sugar. My husband does not fall into either category either. They have him listed as a type 1 and 1/2 because usually type 2 usually get pills and is caused by obesity annd/or adult on-set. Type 1 is usually diagnosed in childhood or before age 18. Since my hubby had signs of juvenile diabetes and has to take insulin shots but was 37 and not over weigh they clasified him as type 1 and 1/2. My dh keeps his numbers under control by watching his carbs. He takes a specific amount of insulin based on the number of carbs he is eating so he aims for low carb foods. He also has ulcers and coilitis type isymtoms so it is best to eat healthy. I would bring him anything that has LOW carbs. Even 4-5 grams of carbs effect the sugar levels. Sugar free does NOT mean carb free.

Comment

Oh Mommymuffin, how scary for you. I'm so glad he's doing better now, and hope things can stay under control now. Make sure you take care of yourself and that little one!

Comment

I'm a Type II, have been for 19 years. I've not always done a good job of taking care of myself. The low weight (not being overweight), is b/c when you sugar is not in control, you are literally, peeing the weight away.

Hope he is better at taking care of himself than me. I started on pills 19 years ago. I am now on insulin shots twice a day.

Feel free to ask any questions. I'll be happy to try and answer.

Just remember it is VERY hard for the person with it to give up the foods they love.

Comment

Mommymuffin I am glad to hear that things are turning out OK. I know this must be very stressful for you. Your family is in our prayers.

Comment

Glad to hear is ok. I read today that by 2020 50% of Americans could have some sort of diabetes. http://www.cnbc.com/id/40332640

Comment

I was thinking of you and your DH today, MommyMuffin but couldn't make it to the computer. I'm glad that he's going to be ok.
                        Hee hee! Look, I have a signature!

Comment

Mommymuffin, you seem to be holding up well, I wish I could give you a big hug! You have a lot of learning ahead of you and I can't offer much in that department, but we're all here for ya!
                          Take care, momma.

Comment

Also thinking of you and your family...Good thoughts coming your way and a happy Thanksgiving!

Comment

Working...
                            X