18 Month Old...Mouths Everything!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18 Month Old...Mouths Everything!

How do you stop an 18 month old from putting everything in his mouth? He has always put everything in his mouth but I THINK he is getting old enough to stop. Today I picked up every toy that I thought he could put in his mouth....he is now picking up the Little People school bus and big things like that and mouthing them. This is also the kid that is always the first to start with a cold etc. I can see him sitting in a shopping cart licking it. This is the same child that was sort of an ooopps for these older parents, his siblings are 18 and 19 years old. Everything that this little boys does is "funny", over this past weekend the siblings were teaching him to say " oh ****" NICE! A couple of weekends ago his older sister was home from college and was getting ready to leave, she say " ******X come say goodbye and give me a kiss" he ran up to her and slapped her across the face. THEY ALL LAUGHED!!!! He also still gets up twice in the night for full bottles of milk, I could go on and on about this kid but for now my question is regarding the mouthing of everything.

I would put him in a pack and play with limited items until he slows down,... I dont like them usually but seems like he is spreading more colds than anything right now.

Originally posted by Miss Joy View Post
    How do you stop an 18 month old from putting everything in his mouth? He has always put everything in his mouth but I THINK he is getting old enough to stop. Today I picked up every toy that I thought he could put in his mouth....he is now picking up the Little People school bus and big things like that and mouthing them. This is also the kid that is always the first to start with a cold etc. I can see him sitting in a shopping cart licking it. This is the same child that was sort of an ooopps for these older parents, his siblings are 18 and 19 years old. Everything that this little boys does is "funny", over this past weekend the siblings were teaching him to say " oh ****" NICE! A couple of weekends ago his older sister was home from college and was getting ready to leave, she say " ******X come say goodbye and give me a kiss" he ran up to her and slapped her across the face. THEY ALL LAUGHED!!!! He also still gets up twice in the night for full bottles of milk, I could go on and on about this kid but for now my question is regarding the mouthing of everything.

Comment

I have a 3 yr old dcg who licks walls, windows, tables, the chairs, even other daycare kids! I've caught her licking other kids' boots in the coat room too! :confused:She also mouths everything!! I have some of those little action figure guys who have all had their heads chewed off by her and most of the dolls hands are chewed up also! :confused: Do they make rawhide chews for kids?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
        I have a 3 yr old dcg who licks walls, windows, tables, the chairs, even other daycare kids! I've caught her licking other kids' boots in the coat room too! :confused:She also mouths everything!! I have some of those little action figure guys who have all had their heads chewed off by her and most of the dolls hands are chewed up also! :confused: Do they make rawhide chews for kids?!?!
        They make chew toys for autistic children. have you seen these?

Large selection of oral motor tools, chewy tubes, Grabbers, Chewable Jewelry and more. Great for your speech and feeding therapy programs.

Comment

Originally posted by DCMomOf3 View Post
          They make chew toys for autistic children. have you seen these?

http://www.nationalautismresources.com/oral-motor.html
          OMG! Those are awesome! I am totally getting some of these! This little dcg I have is not autistic, just has a bad licking/chewing habit. I suppose it is like biting one's nails...once they start a bad habit it is hard to stop.

Comment

I didn't mean to sound like I thought he was, but I have a friend whos child IS, that is how I knew about these. Somedays I want one for myself (the days I can't stop fidgeting. LOL)

Comment

Thanks for that link. I'm waiting for EI to bring me some for DS but they have been on backorder for months.

FWIW, he's 21m and does the same thing. He isn't autistic, but is severely speech delayed (maybe apraxia) and has sensory issues. DD1 is autistic and she could use those pencil toppers in school.

Comment

I had the green chewy toy and the vibrating toy for my grandson. He has sensory processing disorder. He liked to mouth the strangest things. He alos liked to lick lotion and shampoo and he if he could get it he would stuff baby wipes in his mouth and like suck the soap out of it. Of course we didnt allow it. And he wouldnt eat anything that wasnt pured. he ate baby food and yogart for along time until we got him diagoned and started taking him to Kenoshea. Now the kid will eat much and doesnt put things in his mouth much but he does still like to lick. people clothes etc. Sensory processing is a hard thing to overcome .. Praise God for Kenoshea and his weekly OT visits..

I think that some kids just need more oral stimulation. and they get alot out of there mouths learning. I would provide the child with something acceptable to mouth when you see them doing it and remove the thing that you dont want all germed up sanitize it and give him the chewy thing that they can do that with. maybe have them sit on a chair or couch to use it and say when you are done you can go play.. just a thought?? Or am I wrong

Comment

I don't care if they suck and chew on toys.

I have my rooms divided based on this so they stay in the area where all the toys can be sucked until they stop doing it.

Once they stop doing it they can be moved over to the "big kids" side of the room which has a lot more toys and a lot cooler toys.

Once they hit about two they realize that the only way they can get over to the "dark side" (as we call it is to quit putting toys in your mouth. Once they graduate to the dark side... if they start putting those toys in their mouth then they go back to the baby side. A couple of times of doing that and they get that they have to stop doing it.

When it's to their advantage to quit doing it they quit doing it.
                  http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

Doesn't it figure when I place an order EI shows up with one today!

His therapist worked with him for about 30 mins, exchanging the P for whatever he put in his mouth. She just said "No chewing on toys, chew on this". By the end of their time he had stopped licking her tools and was using the P. He's been carrying it around all day and asked for it as I was putting him down for a nap. He never was a pacifier kid and he nurses to sleep. Not today!

Comment

Ohhhh, this is my pet peeve. I understand that it is part of normal development for children to "mouth" things, however, as they get older there is no reason they can't be taught not to put things in their mouths. My dck's are really very good about not putting things in their mouths because I constantly remind them "dont put it in your mouth" or "not in your mouth" and they usually stop before it gets there. In the event that they do put something in their mouth, I take it from them and it goes to the sink to be disinfected. My kiddos are 22 mos, 23 mos, 30 mos, 36 mos and 6 yrs. I also wash their hands when I see them putting their hands in their mouths other than when they are eating. We have enough illness spread through here as it is, I cannot imagine what it would be like if everyone was putting everything in their mouth. Before daycare, when it was just my own children here, I did not mind so much when they put something in their mouth because it was their own toys, but it honestly grosses me out to see other kids sucking on and sharing toys. So, the rule is nobody sucks on them When my almost 2 yr old son acts as though his mouth hurts or he is teething, I give him a mesh feeder with something frozen or even ice in it for him to suck on, that is the extent of it.

Comment

I also have an 18 month old boy who puts everything in his mouth and always has a runny nose. Yesterday I did get out the pack n play and stuck him in there with a few toys. I am totally fed up with it. He also started taking the other kids drinks, food off their plates etc. Everybody has their own cups. Everybody but him has open cups he has a plastic one with lid and straw. He also has been hitting, biting, pushing the other kids. I found out the other day that his dad thinks the boy can do wrong. Or just says well, he's boy.

Comment

Working...
                        X