Would You Send This Child Home?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would You Send This Child Home?

We were closed for the long Easter weekend (Closed on Thursday, opened today). One of our DCB, had his 12 month immunizations on Friday. He came today with a rash all over his stomach, back and arms. The Mom said it was a reaction to the immunization shots. It's been four days though, to me this doesn't seem normal. I'm 14 weeks pregnant, and don't want to take any chances. My Husband opened the door this morning and didn't look at the rash until just now...I was out all morning doing school runs and so now he's been here for three hours already. It sounds stupid on our part, to tell the parents that we aren't comfortable with it now, cause they probably will wonder why we didn't call them sooner. What do we do??

I would. I would also tell mom to report to VAERS. http://vaers.hhs.gov

Comment

I wouldn't chance it. I would just say the more you thought about it, the more uncomfortable you feel with him there. Call her to pick him up and say you want the Dr. To say what it is and how long you can expect it to last. If he can't/won't do that then I would exclude till it is gone. Your pregnancy is too important

Comment

Originally posted by llpa View Post
        I wouldn't chance it. I would just say the more you thought about it, the more uncomfortable you feel with him there. Call her to pick him up and say you want the Dr. To say what it is and how long you can expect it to last. If he can't/won't do that then I would exclude till it is gone. Your pregnancy is too important
        exactly. either way, with that severe of a reaction, he should be seen by a doctor.

Comment

Sounds like he got his MMR or Chicken Pox and basically has mini-measles/chicken pox. Nothing reportable and I believe it's not even contagious but that I would double check. It means the vaccine is doing it's job actually, it's quite common. It all depends on your exclusion policy on your contract, fevers, rashes, reactions, etc.

Comment

The only thing I can think of to be worried about, being pg, is fifths disease.
            But it doesn't sound too likely if he doesn't have rash on his face. Fifths seems to come and go with exposure to sun or warmth too, so you could watch for that, or have parents watch for that.
            Kids are not usually excluded from dc for fifths unless symptoms warrant it.

Comment

However I do exclude for any undiagnosed rash, except a normal diaper rash.

Comment

Working...
              X