Playground Woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playground Woes

I have 2 under 1yr, and 3 that are 4/5 yrs. The older ones want to LIVE on the playground, but taking babies outside is such a hassle! They eat grass, crawl in front of swings, get totally filthy. I've tried putting them in bouncy seats/play pens/activity saucers, but then they scream because they want to move around like the big kids. Any suggestions? I sure can't think of anything else to make everyone happy.

Pushing this post back up.

Comment

I have one 9 month old. He is NOT a fan of being outside. Screams a lot when we are.

I let him crawl around. Eating grass won't hurt them. Eating bugs won't hurt them. The only worry for me is choking hazards, like maybe acorns.

If they are getting that dirty, I'd just grab a couple pairs of dark sweats and socks over their own clothes (mine loses all shoes...fat feet). Either have the parents bring them or pick some up at Goodwill or Walmart.

Comment

Originally posted by Heidi View Post
        I have one 9 month old. He is NOT a fan of being outside. Screams a lot when we are.

I let him crawl around. Eating grass won't hurt them. Eating bugs won't hurt them. The only worry for me is choking hazards, like maybe acorns.

If they are getting that dirty, I'd just grab a couple pairs of dark sweats and socks over their own clothes (mine loses all shoes...fat feet). Either have the parents bring them or pick some up at Goodwill or Walmart.

I have a 3 1/2 year old - yes a 3 1/2 yr old - who does the same thing OP. Walks in front of the swings constantly. He gets knocked down daily by someone swinging - still doesn't learn his lesson.

He eats EVERYTHING outside. I've given up hope on redirecting the eating. I feel as though he hasn't gotten sick from it yet, so it must not be too bad for him...

But I am planning to put some landscape timbers up around my swingset to give a visual barrier of where to stay back from the kill zone. I don't know if it'll actually help my little guy, but maybe it would keep the crawlers out or atleast slow them down. ?

Comment

oh yeah...the swings, I forgot that part. I don't have swings myself.

Can you get some of that 12" high garden fencing to put around the swings? Something that the bigger kids can get over, but not the littles?

Or, fence in a smaller area for just the littles? They'll complain at first, but eventually should get over it.

Comment

I got rid of my swingset completely. Swings with a mixed age group are my worst nightmare. I'm actually surprised that the state hasn't nixed swings for home daycares yet.

When I am taking the babies out, I take a big huge comforter to lay down, and some toys they can play with and books for me to read to them. I give them age-appropriate (safe) natural items to explore. It is not easy getting the recommended two hours per day of outdoor time with infants and with a mixed age group!

Comment

I wish I could let my crawlers completely loose outside... But being in the woods and the ground is sort of hilly.. So I put down a huge huge play yard thing... It's three hooked together so it's huge.... Then I put blankets under it... And I know they won't roll down into he woods or get into the sand pit etc.

But it gives hem a safe area that's HUGE to play in... One end I purposely leave grass for them to play in...

Comment

Or, fence in a smaller area for just the littles? They'll complain at first, but eventually should get over it.
                I agree with this.

Let the play space do the hard work for you.
                - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

oh yeah...the swings, I forgot that part. I don't have swings myself.

Can you get some of that 12" high garden fencing to put around the swings? Something that the bigger kids can get over, but not the littles?

Or, fence in a smaller area for just the littles? They'll complain at first, but eventually should get over it
                  I agree!

Comment

I also use the plastic, seat belt, baby swings, First Years, or something like that. Those are magical with babies, they always fall asleep in them

Comment

I like the idea of the 12 inch garden fencing! That would slow them down at least. Does anyone use a play yard? Like the ones that look like a baby gate, but they're circular?
                      And I know the grass /bugs won't hurt them, but they're constantly getting choked on something out there. That was my main complaint with putting stuff in their mouths. My parents are great, so they don't mind it either, it's just the concern over choking.

Comment

Originally posted by Wednesday View Post
                        I like the idea of the 12 inch garden fencing! That would slow them down at least. Does anyone use a play yard? Like the ones that look like a baby gate, but they're circular?
                        And I know the grass /bugs won't hurt them, but they're constantly getting choked on something out there. That was my main complaint with putting stuff in their mouths. My parents are great, so they don't mind it either, it's just the concern over choking.
                        I use the play yard. I have four total.. But I use two large ones put together in a safe area. Under it I spread out blankets and use the play yard to hold the blanket down. Then they have a safe spot with toys they can explore.

Comment

I have one 11 month old and three 1 year olds right now plus older kids. Everyone goes outside. I doesnt bother me if they get dirty or put stuff in their mouths. I just let them go at it. My own 1 year old loves to eat dirt clods. I just tell him no and offer him a toy instead but its no biggie if he eats it, its just dirt. I would just turn the kids loose and let them work things out on their own. If you have to change them when you go in, its just part of the job. I would not keep all those preschoolers inside. We are outside as much as possible.

Comment

If it really bothers you, I would buy a couple of Go Pods (on amazon). They are like pop-up exersaucers. Think a camping chair for infants! I really love mine, and it travels very easily.

Comment

Working...
                            X