Peanut Allergy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peanut Allergy

So i have a space coming... i have a lady who has wanted into my daycare for some time now. She and i discuss the space and her daughter 21 mo has a nut allergy. 3 reactions so far... just touched a cashew and got hives. So we have nuts in every cupboard here and some kids even bring nuts in their lunch. i also live 35 min from the hospital. Mother is not concerned and says she has an epi pen and meds. i am personally terrified and i dont want to accept her, what do i say? it seems too risky but i dont want to discriminate.

I am a very nut friendly household. I would never accept a child with a nut allergy because I could never assure the safety of the child. Other allergies I could deal with (dairy, a particular fruit or veggie), but nut allergies tend to be serious.

Comment

Originally posted by Leigh View Post
      I am a very nut friendly household. I would never accept a child with a nut allergy because I could never assure the safety of the child. Other allergies I could deal with (dairy, a particular fruit or veggie), but nut allergies tend to be serious.
      I am the same way. I could never make my home nut free so I could never accept a child with a nut allergy.

Comment

Originally posted by roxy1 View Post
        So i have a space coming... i have a lady who has wanted into my daycare for some time now. She and i discuss the space and her daughter 21 mo has a nut allergy. 3 reactions so far... just touched a cashew and got hives. So we have nuts in every cupboard here and some kids even bring nuts in their lunch. i also live 35 min from the hospital. Mother is not concerned and says she has an epi pen and meds. i am personally terrified and i dont want to accept her, what do i say? it seems too risky but i dont want to discriminate.
        If you feel like turning your home into a nut-free home would be too difficult, you need to think of the safety of the child before anything else - even if the mother doesn't. It would be too difficult for me to make my home nut-free.

Comment

My 7 yr old son has a peanut allergy so my home is completely nut free. If you didn't feel comfortable I would let the mom know. I would rather someone be upfront with me rather than side step around the subject. It is life threatening. If the school calls me my stomach hurts because I'm scared something happened.

Comment

I was asked to watch a child with a nut allergy and really considered it. I passed because I just wasn't sure I could ensure his safety. We are big into nuts and peanut butter here. He also had an epi pen. I'm not sure if this is true, maybe someone else knows better but if you do have to use the epi pen do you also need to call an ambulance?

Comment

YES, if you use EPI, call 911 immediately after. (Or if you're quick, at same time).

Any time you use epi, regardless of what caused the allergy, it's an emergency.

Comment

I would not accept a child with a nut allergy. I wouldn't feel comfortable with that child in my care. I would be upfront and honest about it.

Comment

I think we just had a discussion about PAs. Maybe someone can link that here?
                  IIRC It was found that since food allergies are protected under the ADA then you can not discriminate against a child who has a PA just bc of the allergy.
                  I may be wrong but I thought that's what we read. I'll go search for that link, maybe BC can chime in?

Comment

The second child I kept had a peanut allergy. I was new and foolish and took her. If I'd found this forum before then, I would have turned her down. She had an attack at home during the year or so she was with me, but never one while here. It didn't affect her breathing but her skin was an itchy, bloody, horrible mess. I didn't have trouble going peanut free as far as peanut butter foods. My problem was having to read the labels on things that either had hidden PB or were produced on a factory line where peanut items may have also been produced. It put a real crimp on what I could feed the other kids. I wouldn't have termed her over it, at least not as things were at that time, but I would hesitate to take on another one.

We didn't have an epi pen because her doctor said she wasn't old enough for it. We are only 3 blocks from the fire station and 2 minutes from the hospital, but it was always a worry. Personally, I thought her doctor was way too casual about it.

Comment

Here it is!
                      I have a dcg (14 mos) who has been in my care for 4 months. Dcm told me this morning that she is getting tested for a peanut allergy soon as she had a reaction to peanuts a while ago. She didn't tell me about her having had a reaction previously :eek:. She also mentioned that she would be getting an epi pen for her if her

Comment

And here is what BC found after research into the subject:

Americans with Disabilities Act

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) extends the protections provided by 504 to private schools and private child care centers.

Children with food allergies have received protection under ADA. For example, in a public settlement agreement under the ADA, a private child care facility was ordered to enroll children with food allergies, and to take appropriate steps to assure that the facility was prepared to recognize an allergic reaction, and respond appropriately.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunchimes View Post
                          The second child I kept had a peanut allergy. I was new and foolish and took her. If I'd found this forum before then, I would have turned her down. She had an attack at home during the year or so she was with me, but never one while here. It didn't affect her breathing but her skin was an itchy, bloody, horrible mess. I didn't have trouble going peanut free as far as peanut butter foods. My problem was having to read the labels on things that either had hidden PB or were produced on a factory line where peanut items may have also been produced. It put a real crimp on what I could feed the other kids. I wouldn't have termed her over it, at least not as things were at that time, but I would hesitate to take on another one.

We didn't have an epi pen because her doctor said she wasn't old enough for it. We are only 3 blocks from the fire station and 2 minutes from the hospital, but it was always a worry. Personally, I thought her doctor was way too casual about it.
                          I find that odd - when me son was younger we had Epipen Jrs, they are especially for younger weights/younger kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Evansmom View Post
                            And here is what BC found after research into the subject:

Americans with Disabilities Act

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) extends the protections provided by 504 to private schools and private child care centers.

Children with food allergies have received protection under ADA. For example, in a public settlement agreement under the ADA, a private child care facility was ordered to enroll children with food allergies, and to take appropriate steps to assure that the facility was prepared to recognize an allergic reaction, and respond appropriately.
                            I can understand that with a center, but not a home daycare. I kind of doubt that it would apply to an in home caregiver. ADA requires "reasonable accommodation", and in my opinion, it is unreasonable for me to have to rid my home of nuts to take in a child that I don't want. I am not interpreting the law here, it COULD apply to in-home caregivers, but I couldn't see how, considering that it is sort of dictating to me how my entire family must eat even outside of daycare hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Leigh View Post
                              I can understand that with a center, but not a home daycare. I kind of doubt that it would apply to an in home caregiver. ADA requires "reasonable accommodation", and in my opinion, it is unreasonable for me to have to rid my home of nuts to take in a child that I don't want. I am not interpreting the law here, it COULD apply to in-home caregivers, but I couldn't see how, considering that it is sort of dictating to me how my entire family must eat even outside of daycare hours.
                              ITA & I am a mom who has a son who has a peanut allergy. It is really important that the child can be safe. And I would applaud a provider who outright is honest & says she/he can't accommodate that. Better safe than sorry!

Comment

Working...
                              X