Do You Allow "Weapons"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leanna View Post
    I run a gun/weapon free daycare. I do not allow weapon toys of any kind. I do see their creativity when they turn something into a gun/sword/alien ray shooter/etc., but I explain that guns hurt people and that we don't hurt each other, real or pretend. I also do not allow "dead" or "kill" play. I tell them that so many people would be so, so very sad if they died so we don't pretend it.
    This exactly.

No weapons of any kind. I tell the parents that there are ENDLESS things the kids can play and imagine. Killing each other doesn't need to be one of them.

Comment

I try to redirect them without placing emphasis on the weapon. I'll point to their hand or arm and explain that the length and force of their movements can hurt somebody.

Even though I'm anti guns, I do believe there is no harm in gun play and that children are just imitating what they see on tv. The problem arises, I believe, from tv, movies, and video games that glorify crime and make it seem cool, instead of irresponsible.

Another issue is that I'm in a very pro gun part of the US. It's the parents responsibility to set these limits for their children and I don't want to go against their teachings

Comment

I've always believed, and learned as part of my training, that power, aggressive and gun play are a part of healthy, normal development.

However, I was raised in a different country where we don't often have to worry about our children having ready access to guns.

Now that I'm in the US, I have to admit, I'm conflicted about this. Luckily, none of my boys have started gun play yet so I haven't had to make a choice yet.

Comment

Gun play is like wrestling, a part of healthy development, and one that I strongly believe should take place at HOME, not day care.

I have a wide age range and gun play leads to wrestling, which leads to fighting, etc. And with bigger boys someone always gets hurt. A few years ago I gained a dcb from another (highly regarded) provider. The parents issue? There was too much gun play/wrestling and her child was coming home covered in bruises and scratches (more than normal) He was fine here (as was she:: ) but I do run a tighter ship with the wrestling/gun play.

Comment

No weapon toys are allowed. If the DCKs make a gun out of Mega Blocks, I do not mind. None of my DCKs focus or obsess about with shooting one another. I rarely see it. Though I feel abused by books & storytelling. All of them except the baby are obsessed with books and story time.

Growing up in California, most people I knew had guns. It was nothing to go into a neighbors home and see one on a side, kitchen or cocktail table. I grew up thinking Dads have guns. I never thought to touch it or play with them. With gun safety in the media I’m sure it’s not as common to see a gun laying around.

Comment

The boys that I care for are always playing shoot'em they call it. They do not have actual toy guns or swords, but rather they make things out of legos typically or one of my wood sticks that we use for music. I have never had real toy guns. I don't mind it. I don't believe that a 2 year old playing with a lego made gun has ever been proven to be the cause of a 15 year old going in a school and shooting someone. Having said that, I don't allow them to shoot each other. They need to shoot the dragons in the backyard or a bird or squirrel.

Comment

Originally posted by Stepping View Post
                I've always believed, and learned as part of my training, that power, aggressive and gun play are a part of healthy, normal development.

However, I was raised in a different country where we don't often have to worry about our children having ready access to guns.

Now that I'm in the US, I have to admit, I'm conflicted about this. Luckily, none of my boys have started gun play yet so I haven't had to make a choice yet.
                WHERE in the US do children have a "ready access to guns"!?

I grew up in a hunting family- I was taught (as we're each of my kids) to shoot at 8. But The general exposure much earlier. We do not fear guns-
                I also have a healthy respect for good vs evil play-
                With that said I still don't allow weapon play and "bad guy" play here. I don't like the way it escalates. Even my own kids weren't allowed during daycare hours. I find it too hard to control in a group setting...

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                  IMHO, gun play is no more the cause of violence than toy kitchen sets are the cause of obesity.
                  AMEN!!!!

When QRIS started with assessment and guns or action figures were a definite no-no, providers explained how certain children have parents with jobs who have guns...Do we teach the children the parents are wrong? NO, we explain how every person has their place in the world and what is expected when these "community helpers" have a gun. Many dads/moms hunt with guns, bows, etc. While I do monitor closely when children in my care talk/play guns, I feel it is a great opportunity to teach safety as well.

Comment

I'd just like to say..
                    This thread is what I love about this forum...

Personally.. I do not allow weapon toys...
                    I don't allow gunplay... or pretending to shoot one another...

I have a sister that has two sons...she has also taught elementary level school for 20 years...
                    At one time she told me that her son 'turns everything' into a POW POW....
                    so we had that discussion...about the fact that you can IMAGINE that a banana is a POW POW...but ultimately...it is a banana... only a toy gun is actually a POW POW..
                    anyway.. I do have my own opinion about violent type play with weapon toys...

But...as a side bar..
                    My husband is a Texas Concealed Handgun Instructor.
                    He has many guns.. all locked away in another part of our building..
                    He has gun classes all the time...and I've heard him speak about
                    non violent conflict resolution.
                    I have been with him...at an IHOP late one night...when a fight broke out...it was near our table...and although he is very protective of me...
                    he was very upset afterward...
                    If he were to have become involved...and something happened... it would affect his Instructor license... so he is all about NOT getting caught in someone else's conflict ...

Anyway... I enjoyed reading Blackcats opinion on this subject...and I have clicked on many of the links to read through them as well..
                    Thanks all for always broadening my knowledge...just by expressing your various opinions and insight...

www.tammyschildcare.com

Comment

Originally posted by Familycare71 View Post
                      WHERE in the US do children have a "ready access to guns"!?

I grew up in a hunting family- I was taught (as we're each of my kids) to shoot at 8. But The general exposure much earlier. We do not fear guns-
                      I also have a healthy respect for good vs evil play-
                      With that said I still don't allow weapon play and "bad guy" play here. I don't like the way it escalates. Even my own kids weren't allowed during daycare hours. I find it too hard to control in a group setting...
                      I apologize if my comments offended or angered you, that wasn't my intention. However, the US has far more gun crime than most other western countries and rightly or wrongly this is a common impression of the US.

See comment above about a provider who frequently saw guns around people's homes growing up.

"Growing up in California, most people I knew had guns. It was nothing to go into a neighbors home and see one on a side, kitchen or cocktail table. I grew up thinking Dads have guns. I never thought to touch it or play with them. With gun safety in the media I’m sure it’s not as common to see a gun laying around"

Comment

Originally posted by Stepping View Post
                        I apologize if my comments offended or angered you, that wasn't my intention. However, the US has far more gun crime than most other western countries and rightly or wrongly this is a common impression of the US.

See comment above about a provider who frequently saw guns around people's homes growing up.

"Growing up in California, most people I knew had guns. It was nothing to go into a neighbors home and see one on a side, kitchen or cocktail table. I grew up thinking Dads have guns. I never thought to touch it or play with them. With gun safety in the media I’m sure it’s not as common to see a gun laying around"
                        I don't think you are wrong. We've had several children in our area die after being shot with a gun a parent left lying around. And it's been incredibly difficult to prosecute the parents for absolute negligence.

Comment

Working...
                        X