Eating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eating

Ok so here is one more. (then Im done for the day ) I just started a 3 year old last week. I have always had under 1 because I don't charge extra for babies. This lil girl is something. She is rude(mom calls her a momma hen) Every thing is a challenge with this lil girl. I have been very strict so that she understands how its gona go in my house (and shes getting better) but how long should I give her to eat? Breakfast last about 45 min then finally after asking her to eat over and over again, I say ok breakfast is over and she is't even half done. Then same thing with lunch and snack. I want to give her plenty of time, but I need her to understand that when its time to eat then its time to eat. How long is too long and how much time is not enough time? Shes already telling mom Im mean I don't want her to tell her Im not letting her eat too

45 minutes to eat is plenty of time!

It sounds like she's trying to be mother hen at your house too. I'm sure after a while of not eating breakfast after you have given her plenty of time, she'll change her attitude and eat. If not, oh well, you gave her the chance to eat at breakfast.

Comment

I have ages 12mo-4 and they are almost always finished within 20 minutes or so.

Comment

Have you tried a visual boundary? Set an egg timer on the counter for your goal time, tell her when it goes off lunch is over.

Make sure she can see the time going down.

45 minutes is pretty close to ridiculous, IMHO...

This one is $8.99 on amazon.
        Attached Files
        - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Set a kitchen timer. I allow 30 minutes. How much or how little time you allow is up to you but set the timer.

When the timer goes off, lunch is over.

Don't make a fuss, don't prod, remind, push, and don't stress about it.

Be matter of fact about it. Lunch is served at xx time and over at xx time.

She WILL get it after a couple times.

I don't worry about it at all, the more you worry about it or push/prod kids to hurry, the slower they are so I just allow a specific amount of time and that's that.

ALL my kids are done LONG before the 30 minutes is up.

Comment

I would stop telling her over and over to eat. I'd give a 5 minute warning that breakfast is almost over, and then remove the plates. If you're giving 45 minutes, that is PLENTY of time to eat if she wishes.

Comment

Ok thanks. I have other kids, but they are in high chairs and they do feed them self's but they don't play. They eat. She is the only one at the table. When my kids don't have school, they sit at the table with her, but once again they eat. Don't get me wrong, Im having alot of issues with her such as attitude and eye rolling and very upset with not getting her way, but I wanted to nip this eating thing before it got too out of hand. I can get the other stuff under control. Im going to set the timer and try that at lunch. Thanks

Comment

I have seen kids at this age try to use their own eating as a way to gain control (they feel like they are able to be in charge of you by refusing to follow your wishes to eat). Just explain that she has XX minutes to eat and when time is up, food gets taken away. Don't make a big deal over whether she eats-tell her it is her choice whether or not she eats, but that when time is up, it's up. The more you beg her to eat, the more she'll probably resist.

Comment

Working...
                X