Non Eating DCB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non Eating DCB

I have a dcb who fights me on eating lunch at least one a week. He will refuse to eat even a bit and then is sick to his stomach in the afternoon. He brings his own lunch and wont even touch a bite of anything I give him.

I had him start bringing his own lunch because he wasn't eating anything I gave him. But now its more like he is just not eating here.

Everytime he doesnt eat he throws up in the afternoon and I make mom come and pick him up.
    Any ideas why he would do this?

I never fight with anyone to eat. I give them their food and they either eat it or they don't. I don't say one word about it. It isn't discussed at all. When snack/lunch is over I throw out whatever is left uneaten.
    Maybe his stomach is upset from fighting with you over food? In any case, if he throws up, call for pickup.
    Mealtime happens too often to be fighting over it.

Comment

Originally posted by Luna View Post
      I never fight with anyone to eat. I give them their food and they either eat it or they don't. I don't say one word about it. It isn't discussed at all. When snack/lunch is over I throw out whatever is left uneaten.
      Maybe his stomach is upset from fighting with you over food? In any case, if he throws up, call for pickup.
      Mealtime happens too often to be fighting over it.

He may be a more sensitive child, and it could be tied to his picky eating. It may also be the reason he throws up. All the arguing over food could be causing him anxiety, which makes his stomach sick.

Or, his stomach is sick because he didn't eat, and he hasn't made the connection, but he's not going to if it's a battle.

Serve the food. That's where your job ends.

Comment

I used to argue with him now I say fine and he lays down for nap. When i said fights me I was meaning like throwing himself down on the ground and screams when i put the plate down. He does the same if i ask him to just take one bite.
        I used to try to get him to take one bite because I know he is going to be sick later. I used to offer him something diffrent too. Now if he throws himself down from the table when lunch happens I tell him if he doesnt want to eat then he can go lay down. We always have nap after lunch so he knows he is going to lay down either way.

The throwing up is always around 3. It is alway water/ stomach acid.

Comment

Originally posted by Kcole1075 View Post
          I used to argue with him now I say fine and he lays down for nap. When i said fights me I was meaning like throwing himself down on the ground and screams when i put the plate down. He does the same if i ask him to just take one bite.
          I used to try to get him to take one bite because I know he is going to be sick later. I used to offer him something diffrent too. Now if he throws himself down from the table when lunch happens I tell him if he doesnt want to eat then he can go lay down. We always have nap after lunch so he knows he is going to lay down either way.

The throwing up is always around 3. It is alway water/ stomach acid.
          So does he eat breakfast at home..... Does he drink the milk etc with breakfast or lunch?

Despite skipping a meal, he should NOT be throwing up acidic stuff on that short of a time... Maybe mom could talk with pediatrician about untreated reflux?? Maybe that's why he's refusing to eat and maybe that's why he's throwing up after just skipping a meal.

I've taken care of hundreds of pediatric patients that skips one, two, six, a week of meals and it doesn't cause vomiting.

Just a thought.

Comment

Wonder if he has acid reflux or a food allergy, something like that, which is making it actually painful for him to eat. This sounds like some sort of physical cause that needs addressed. I would bring it up to mom and suggest a doctor visit/ENT referral/something. Poor thing, that's not normal at ALL.
            Hee hee! Look, I have a signature!

Comment

Originally posted by Cradle2crayons View Post
              So does he eat breakfast at home..... Does he drink the milk etc with breakfast or lunch?
              He usually comes with breakfast in hand. He does have milk with breakfast and I believe it has that carnations insta breakfast stuff in it.

No milk with lunch.

No throwing up yet. He had a handful of goldfish crackers. This poor kid.

Comment

Just a suggestion... I would have him sit at the table with everyone until they are finished.It's amazing how much children will eat if they know they are not getting up until everyone is done. It may take a few days of him screaming at the table but he will learn to either eat or sit quietly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kcole1075 View Post
                  He usually comes with breakfast in hand. He does have milk with breakfast and I believe it has that carnations insta breakfast stuff in it.

No milk with lunch.

No throwing up yet. He had a handful of goldfish crackers. This poor kid.
                  If he eats breakfast there is NO reason why he should throw up in the afternoon after simply skipping lunch.

I would send mom to the pediatrician with a form describing the issues YOU are having at daycare such as the not eating, vomiting acid in the afternoon etc and have the dr address these issues.

Not eating is one thing and really no big issue but I would be worried something more serious is going on here. If nothing else, CYA.

Comment

I talked with mom again last night about his non eating. He didnt throw up yesterday but was dry heaving. She said this morning he didn't eat dinner last night either

She is going to get him another doctors appointment because of it. She just had him go for his eczema in January . It took her over a month to get that appointment. So I am praying it doesnt take that long again.

Comment

I get real sick if I'm not able to eat quickly enough once I get hungry. I get real sick, dizzy, and dry heave. I think my issue might be a drop in blood sugar.

What about other issues like gall bladder, intestinal problem, etc???

Does he ever get sick when he does actually eat?

Comment

Maybe he is not eating because his tummy hurts I would guess something he ate for breakfast or dinner the night before. It would help if they kept a food diary and you keep one of the days he does not eat and throws up.
                        It:: will wait

Comment

No he doesn't get sick when he actually eats.

When this first started to happen I was thinking he got some form of a stomach bug. But it happens without fail when he doesnt eat.

It might be like what you described ladypearl. I have really been working communication with this child. He is 4 but doesnt communicate when he is hungry thirsty ect. But then with going to the bathroom if I am not around for him to tell me he needs to go then he just goes in his pants.

I am going to talk to mom about us starting a food journal today.

Comment

He could very well be dehydrated. Does he drink much?

He could have low blood sugar, or it could be gastro-intestinal as mentioned. He def needs to be seen. Once or twice is even odd, but every time is not right.

It shouldn't take that long to get an appt unless she just isn't calling? Especially something like this they would take him in the same day (here anyway)

Comment

Originally posted by CraftyMom View Post
                              He could very well be dehydrated. Does he drink much?

He could have low blood sugar, or it could be gastro-intestinal as mentioned. He def needs to be seen. Once or twice is even odd, but every time is not right.

It shouldn't take that long to get an appt unless she just isn't calling? Especially something like this they would take him in the same day (here anyway)
                              I make sure he drinks a lot of water here. We don't have any juice here.

Its not everyday here but almost once a week. This is the first time it has been two days of no eating.

I think the last time she wanted it to be a physical with the doctor so they could talk about more than one issue. Last time I sent him home because he threw up she said she was going to book another appointment but she hasnt mentioned anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X