I Feel Terrible!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Feel Terrible!

So the one time I don't close due to bad weather I get a dcm super mad at me.

We got a lot of snow yesterday and the wind had been blowing it around all night. I told everyone to keep an eye on the roads as I might close due to bad conditions. Well the local schools didn't close and the main road stayed plowed and my road didn't look that bad.

So I didn't close last night since I felt bad closing more for weather than illness so far this year. I figured that I'd leave it up to the parents to decide since it didn't seem to be emergency conditions.

Well one family called to say they weren't going to try since their road wasn't plowed this morning. I checked the local schools and they finally closed at 7am...

My other dcm never called which was weird since she usually will cancel on her own if the weather is even slightly bad. However it was a half hour past her drop off time and she wasn't here. I was about to call to check on her to see if we had a miscommunication last night at pick up and then I spotted her walked with dcg through the snow down the road to my house.

She was mad. She said she got stuck when she tried to turn from the main road to my road because of a 4 ft drift (I couldn't see that from my house). Then she angrily said I should have called her to tell her they didn't plow my road yet. I apologized and said that I assumed she wasn't coming as other parents chose not to come because their road wasn't plowed and that I felt bad closing so I thought I'd let her make the decision this time since she made the decision not to come last few times. She said her road was plowed so she decided to come and said she expects me to call her next time.

So lesson learned...you can't trust parents to make the right decision because they don't know how bad it is on your road.

Why would she attempt to drive through a 4 ft snow drift instead of turning around, calling you and saying she tried but wasn't able to make it?

Comment

Originally posted by taylorw1210 View Post
      Why would she attempt to drive through a 4 ft snow drift instead of turning around, calling you and saying she tried but wasn't able to make it?
      That's what I was thinking, too.

Comment

That's what I assumed she would do too if my road was that bad...I can't tell by looking because I am not driving in it and I can't see everything. The drift was a surprise for me...I said as much and she said she figured that since she came this far she mind as well walk...

At least I will never again feel bad for closing due to weather and she will never risk it again (hopefully).

I guess I feel stupid for not following my gut and making the decision for the parents like I usually do...hopefully someone will learn from my stupidity: close for bad weather even if you think your parents won't come!
        Last edited by Kabob; 02-21-2014, 08:33 AM. Reason: adding stuff

Comment

Ugh. How is the drift and her getting stuck your fault? If she is the one who chose to drive, she needs to pay attention. I hate when parents blame dc for things-closings, weather,sickness, etc. I didn't close but do have one family supposedly on the way. I did inform her my hill is not plowed and I haven't seen anyone drive past-including the city bus. We shall see.

Comment

I live 10 miles from town on a one lane dirt road on top of a mountain.

I am not a weather man nor a highway maintenance worker. It's not really my job to worry about anything past my driveway.

Getting here is their concern, and their call to make.

That's why I work from home. ::

Comment

I wouldn't blame you for any of that if I was dcm. You're not in charge of plowing!

Comment

My question exactly!

Comment

:: :: ::

I clicked "reply" and then couldn't think of anything to type because I was laughing so hard about a grown woman being mad at someone else because SHE couldn't make a safety decision all by herself!

Comment

Maybe once she has had all day to calm down she can explain herself? Eh. I'm just gonna smile and say "next time I'll close."

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post

I clicked "reply" and then couldn't think of anything to type because I was laughing so hard about a grown woman being mad at someone else because SHE couldn't make a safety decision all by herself!

I think she was so embarrassed that she was angry...the guy that was trying to plow our road apparently got her out. I was taken by surprise since I honestly expected her to not even try that...but yeah...experiment failed!

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post

Ditto what BlackCat typed. However, I am not laughing. My face is contorted.

Comment

Of all the things parents try to blame on daycare providers...now we are in charge of how much snow we get and plowing the roads!! Not to mention parents' stupidity and bad judgement!!! ::

Comment

Originally posted by Kabob View Post
                            So the one time I don't close due to bad weather I get a dcm super mad at me.

We got a lot of snow yesterday and the wind had been blowing it around all night. I told everyone to keep an eye on the roads as I might close due to bad conditions. Well the local schools didn't close and the main road stayed plowed and my road didn't look that bad.

So I didn't close last night since I felt bad closing more for weather than illness so far this year. I figured that I'd leave it up to the parents to decide since it didn't seem to be emergency conditions.

Well one family called to say they weren't going to try since their road wasn't plowed this morning. I checked the local schools and they finally closed at 7am...

My other dcm never called which was weird since she usually will cancel on her own if the weather is even slightly bad. However it was a half hour past her drop off time and she wasn't here. I was about to call to check on her to see if we had a miscommunication last night at pick up and then I spotted her walked with dcg through the snow down the road to my house.

She was mad. She said she got stuck when she tried to turn from the main road to my road because of a 4 ft drift (I couldn't see that from my house). Then she angrily said I should have called her to tell her they didn't plow my road yet. I apologized and said that I assumed she wasn't coming as other parents chose not to come because their road wasn't plowed and that I felt bad closing so I thought I'd let her make the decision this time since she made the decision not to come last few times. She said her road was plowed so she decided to come and said she expects me to call her next time.

So lesson learned...you can't trust parents to make the right decision because they don't know how bad it is on your road.
                            It's not your job to give her this kind of heads up. She's not an idiot, and could easily have stayed home, whether or not you were closed. Her getting angry at you becase SHE chose to go out and SHE didn't drive carefully enough NOT to get stuck , that's ALL on HER. Maybe I'm a little insensitive to that, because we don't close in CO and these parents always whine when the schools don't as if the fact the schools close or don't close ties their hands with whether or not they can make their own decisions. In fact, there is NO penalty on a questionable day if you keep your child home for safety reasons. (aka EXCUSED absence and not counting toward your attendance record)

Comment

Wouldn't it be something if mom wasn't even working today?!

Comment

Working...
                              X