Opening on President's Day.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opening on President's Day.....

So it begins.....it's the Weds before President's Day and the one parent I knew would ask, did yesterday at pick up!! We have had some crazy weather and school will be opening on Monday to make up a snow day. So she ask's me........."Since school is open will you be opening too". Um NOOOO!!! I already have my holiday planned and your child was here every single snow day we had, and was my only dck here on quite a few of those days, why should I have to make it up??? The mindset of some people totally erks my nerves!

Ugh! Last year, I was lounging around in my pajamas on President's Day when the doorbell rang. My ds happened to be home, as well, and his company is hardly ever closed! Anyway, dcm shows up with dcg, and I looked at her shocked, and said, "It's a federal holiday- why are you here?" She rudely said back, "My work and dcd's work is open!", as she shoved dcg at me
    I could understand if she works retail, but she doesn't, and every single one of my neighbors had two cars in the driveway, meaning both moms and dads were home that day, and they all work in various types of businesses.
    So, because I need the income and can't afford to term, I am open again on Monday for ONE family, and it really irks me
    I know, I know, I need a stronger backbone with this family-one of these days!

Comment

I will be open for it this year.

I (unexpectedly) will need to take a mid-week () training class soon that cannot be done online. It is an unusual circumstance, here, with very little notice. (the training is for my part-time job, not childcare related)

I put it to a vote. The parents unanimously chose to swap Presidents Day for it.

Works for me, no pay loss and the clients are happy.
      - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

I am open. Most my parents work.

It's not a holiday I normally close for.

@MrsMichelle I have in my handbook/policies that if at any time only one family needs care, I will close.

It isn't worth (for me anyways) to be open for one family.

ALL families are required to have a written schedule submitted so they would get plenty of notice and ALL parents are required to have back up care.

Comment

I don't view President's Day as a major holiday and most businesses are open therefore I never have it off, but if its in your contract parents need to understand that. We also have school this year due to making up a snow day.

Comment

I'm closing because I stayed open on MLK Day.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsmichelle View Post
              Ugh! Last year, I was lounging around in my pajamas on President's Day when the doorbell rang. My ds happened to be home, as well, and his company is hardly ever closed! Anyway, dcm shows up with dcg, and I looked at her shocked, and said, "It's a federal holiday- why are you here?" She rudely said back, "My work and dcd's work is open!", as she shoved dcg at me
              I could understand if she works retail, but she doesn't, and every single one of my neighbors had two cars in the driveway, meaning both moms and dads were home that day, and they all work in various types of businesses.
              So, because I need the income and can't afford to term, I am open again on Monday for ONE family, and it really irks me
              I know, I know, I need a stronger backbone with this family-one of these days!
              If it was listed in your contract as a holiday you are closed for you really should stick to your contract. If your holidays are not clear in your contract you need to fix that!!

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy8 View Post
                If it was listed in your contract as a holiday you are closed for you really should stick to your contract. If your holidays are not clear in your contract you need to fix that!!
                This was kind of a gray area in my contract, and now I have just accepted that I have to stay open for them. @ Blackcat- it would be nice to put that in my contract, good idea!

Comment

I'm open, but it's not one I close for. I only have one family on Monday, and mom is a federal employee, so they won't be here. I'll be getting a free day off.

Comment

Originally posted by craftymissbeth View Post
                    I'm closing because I stayed open on MLK Day.

All of my families are off anyway .

Comment

I had two parents ask me this as well. We will be closed tomorrow and maybe Friday b/c we're in a State of Emergency, so now I'm struggling again with opening on Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                        I am open. Most my parents work.

It's not a holiday I normally close for.

@MrsMichelle I have in my handbook/policies that if at any time only one family needs care, I will close.

It isn't worth (for me anyways) to be open for one family.

ALL families are required to have a written schedule submitted so they would get plenty of notice and ALL parents are required to have back up care.
                        I could have wrote this all the way-

yes you do need a backbone, sorry but I am closed on Presidents Day. Don't open your door. Put a note up now reminding them. ITs ok to have a break! It makes you a better provider. Parents need to have back up!!!

Comment

I am in awe at how many daycares are wishy washy on what days they are open and closed. I make a schedule up in December for the following year stating what days I am closed and I don't negotiate this. My parents have ample notice to make arrangements.

If a parent brought the child to me on a day that I said I was closed and said they had to work. I would hand the child back and say I am sorry I am ClOSED today. Even if I did nothing all day!!!

Sorry but I don't blame the parents on this one as much as I blame the providers! The parents are going to try but the providers need to be able to hold up policies and be clear to parents-

UGH~:confused:

Comment

Originally posted by My3cents View Post
                            I am in awe at how many daycares are wishy washy on what days they are open and closed. I make a schedule up in December for the following year stating what days I am closed and I don't negotiate this. My parents have ample notice to make arrangements.

If a parent brought the child to me on a day that I said I was closed and said they had to work. I would hand the child back and say I am sorry I am ClOSED today. Even if I did nothing all day!!!

Sorry but I don't blame the parents on this one as much as I blame the providers! The parents are going to try but the providers need to be able to hold up policies and be clear to parents-

Comment

Originally posted by My3cents View Post

Exactly! My parents have my holiday schedule for the year. No WAY would I take a DCK on my day off!

Comment

Working...
                              X