No announcement yet.

Another Snow Day Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ya know, I just realized that I paved the way for this crap to happen when dcg had a fever over 102 on two separate occasions and both times I let her come back after 24 hours instead of the 48 in my policy.

Comment

Originally posted by craftymissbeth View Post
      Ya know, I just realized that I paved the way for this crap to happen when dcg had a fever over 102 on two separate occasions and both times I let her come back after 24 hours instead of the 48 in my policy.
      Don't beat yourself up. There is NO one right or wrong way in this business and as soon as you put a stop to one issue, another one appears.

You will always have families that push your buttons and try to squeeze just a little more out of you and in hindsight, you can always look back and see just where you went wrong, but it isn't so clear when you are living it day to day.

Sometimes, my strict factor is on high if I am feeling pulled by too many families at once and other times, I am feeling less pulled and allow a few things here and there to slide. It is human nature.

What I do though is try to always make sure parents understand that some rules are non-negotiable and others have a bit of "bend" but ONLY if the circumstances are right.

If you let this child come back after 24 hours verses your policy of 48, I would make sure the parent KNEW that I was lenient about that because it worked at that moment but they shouldn't expect it to always be that way.

Maybe with the snow and travel advisories, now would be a good time to draft a letter about your policies, why you have them and that families are expected to have reliable back up. Let them know that coercing or guilting you into staying open is not something you are going to allow on a regular basis.

If you have 5 families needing you on a bad weather day, it makes sense to stay open but if you only have one, it isn't cost effective so each snow fall or snow emergency will start out a closed day unless otherwise notified. However, that call is YOURS to make, not the parents.

Comment

Originally posted by craftymissbeth View Post
        Weather related closings and closings due to loss of utilities are the ONLY times I still charge. Any other time I close (holidays, vacations, etc.) are unpaid. Is it taking advantage for the majority of providers who close on holidays yet still charge?!
        Most Holidays that are charged for are paid vacations for the parents as well. They are also scheduled a year in advance, leaving plenty of time for them to find a back-up if necessary. Again, this is coming from a parent perspective, but, if I'm paying daycare and they said they'd be open because I complained... I'm much rather use them then my SIL, who probably wants to spend her day off not watching my kids KWIM?

However, if it in your contract & she complained and played the poor me card, and I caved... only to find out she had a back-up anyway I would probably feel the same way as you.

I so get where you're coming from... I do not mean to make you feel you are wrong for your decision/feelings. My DH always adds his 2 cents especially when I don't want it Just trying to make it 'positive' instead of 'negative' so you would not feel so venomous towards this DCF... only because I've been there. I would LOVE to close for weather. During a major blizzard (nicknamed snowmageddon) a couple of years ago where the plow got stuck in my cul-de-sac, I still had a family literally park on a side street and hike a 1/2 a block in waist high snow to get to my house. Unless I as willing to go unpaid, I just put up with it. I never really thought about the emergency side of it though... something to think about for future storms.

Hope you get through this day! Good luck!

Comment

Crafty, I did the exact same thing, but by pick up time the roads were actually ok. What I told my dcps was, I would make exceptions to my being closed if schools were closed, but it would be based upon my terms. The one DCM who made a stink about my new policy is the one that can work from home. Go figure.

The weather is supposed to be yucky again tonight & then again this weekend. I just wish spring was here!

Comment

I had one mom try to get here at 6:00 this morning. She almost ended up in the ditch. I texted her last night asking her if she was going in at normal time. She said yes she had to make an effort. Well, that effort almost cost her. Then one left because of accident. His mother did say that she is glad I called because 1) roads are getting bad and she saw two cars in ditches in the space of 4 miles.

As far as charging I am going to let parents know they can use one of their 5 vacation/sick days or pay the full rate for the week.

Comment

FWIW - my policy is if schools are closed, I am closed. However, I do have a couple of teachers who have optional workdays if schools close due to bad weather. I only have 4 full-timers, so I MAY offer to let my teachers' kids come, but they know (especially after last week) to check with me first. I try to use my best judgement on road conditions.

Adding - last week, our school system closed in anticipation of snow that ended up not starting until that evening. So schools were closed with no bad weather. Neither of my teachers' kids came, because the moms were home. Fast forward to Friday - schools were closed for the fourth day in a row, and suddenly the teachers are BEGGING me to take their kids for the day;they just HAD to work! Now, supposedly every bad weather day is an optional workday, but that was much more important after they had been with their kids all week!

Comment

I am in KS as well....and I didn't close. I really think I should have. One dcd got stuck in my drive when he came to pick up and some neighbors came and helped dig him out. Took a while! "Think maybe you should've kept her home?! That's what he gets!" Sorry..I know I'm being snarky but MAN! I advised my other dcd to not park in the drive but I was seriously worried that I might get snowed in with these babies.....NOoooooooo!

Comment

Working...
                X