References On A Child

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• References On A Child

I am a licensed daycare provider. Is it ok for me to call a child's previous daycare for a reference? Parents are entitled to get references on providers, does it work the opposite way?

Originally posted by Lauram16 View Post
    I am a licensed daycare provider. Is it ok for me to call a child's previous daycare for a reference? Parents are entitled to get references on providers, does it work the opposite way?
    I have heard of a few providers doing that but I never have.

Comment

Absolutely it's OK! The child (and their parents) are going to be in your home. You have a right to know who is going to be in your home. You don't need any nasty surprises.

I often call past providers and I also run parent names through the local arrest check and the sex offenders registry.

Comment

I have, but not on the child. It is a criminal background check and references on the parents.

I am not sure, but I think there has been legislation about the child's info :confused: Someone correct me if I am wrong.

In the past they'd give you a heads up in the case of a violent history, but I am not sure that is something generally discussed further or even *legal*.
        - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Our licensor frowns upon provider's who call anyone's previous or past provider.

It is considered a breach of confidentiality. She WILL write us up for it.

Fortunately, I live in a small enough community that most providers here all know each other and it's pretty hard not to know what's going on somewhere else whenever drama is brewing...

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
            Our licensor frowns upon provider's who call anyone's previous or past provider.

It is considered a breach of confidentiality. She WILL write us up for it.
            Really?? Even when the parents choose their own references on their enrollment application? :confused:

My mandatory training class is where I got my first sample forms..... ::::::

Eh, I am enrolled to take the new "Confidentiality" class next week with the rest of my annual power points...ugh... Guess I better pay close attention to what is new this year....
            - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Herder View Post
              Really?? Even when the parents choose their own references on their enrollment application? :confused:

My mandatory training class is where I got my first sample forms..... ::::::

Eh, I am enrolled to take the new "Confidentiality" class next week with the rest of my power points...ugh... Guess I better pay close attention to what is new this year....
              *sigh* yep. I used to have a "loop hole" and have a place in my enrollment routine that asked parents specifically if we could contact their previous provider and if the parent signed it, great!

But now, with the QRIS thing being pushed so hard, PROFESSIONALISM is HUGE and calling to do a reference check on someone is considered something that goes directly against the confidentiality rules.

When questioned about it, we were told that ALL providers have a different and unique relationship with families and just because a family may have been a PITA family for Jill Smith, doesn't mean they will be for us.

Unique and different are terms "they" can use to defend their policies but NOT terms I can use to SUPPORT my rights or needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                *sigh* yep. But now, with the QRIS thing being pushed so hard, PROFESSIONALISM is HUGE
                OK , so the new buzz word for 2014 is "Professionalism" and it loosely translates to "bend over and....".

*** I wondered why that word was in the title of 6 of my classes. One did not even try to incorporate it, titled simply "Professionalism". ::::::::

Did I understand it right this time happyface

Eh, I was sick of "Quality" anyway.

Comment

I was told you could call, but the only questions you could ask were if the child had been enrolled there and if they would take them back. Just like if an employer called your previous employer, that is all they call legally ask. 2 yes or no questions, but if they answer the 2nd one no, you could take that as a sign

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Herder View Post
                    OK , so the new buzz word for 2014 is "Professionalism" and it loosely translates to "bend over and....".
                    Yes. Sad huh?

Originally posted by mema View Post
                    I was told you could call, but the only questions you could ask were if the child had been enrolled there and if they would take them back. Just like if an employer called your previous employer, that is all they call legally ask. 2 yes or no questions, but if they answer the 2nd one no, you could take that as a sign
                    We USED to be able to do that but now we are being told to "be the professional" and make our own decisions based on our own experience....::

Comment

Working...
                    X