Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CARE vs. EDUCATION

The "stars" thread got me thinking...

We often have debates on here regarding care for young children vs. education for young children. Often these debates get boiled down to those providers with degrees or a lot of coursework in early childhood education to support “education” while those providers who have come into the field through other channels to support “care.” (I know there are exceptions to this…read on because that really isn’t the point, just a note I am making). This debate gets discussed in all kinds of ways, even in how we refer to ourselves (teacher, baby-sitter, provider, etc.)

I personally chose this career at as a teenager. I was lucky enough to get my Bachelor’s degree in early childhood education. I student taught at our college’s lab preschool, did many field placements, and worked at centers and Head Start before becoming licensed as a provider 6 years ago. I am a member of my local child care RR and the NAEYC. I read studies and journal articles often. Some of my favorite authors are John Holt and Vivian Gussin Paley. I get very upset when this field is portrayed in a negative light and even more upset when a fellow provider does something to bring this on the profession. I am all about professionalizing the field and promoting high-quality child care.

However, in our quest to defend family child care, I think we often divide exactly where we should be coming together. In all of my years of schooling under experts in the field of early childhood I have to say that one of the most important things I learned (possibly THE most important) is that high quality child care is education.

Read that line again...high quality child care is, in itself, education. Early childhood educations is not some mysterious thing that can only be carried out by some special individuals. It is NOT worksheets and crafts and themes. It isn’t even activities and field trips and carefully selected toys. It is CARE. Children grow and learn and prosper (and thus become ready not just for Kindergarten but for LIFE) through high quality care. It is holding a baby while giving her a bottle. “Wow, you are hungry!” you say as the baby gulps down her milk. It is changing a fussy toddlers diaper and engaging him in conversation so he is more cooperative. It is a lot of hand-washing (some sing a song, some pretend their hands are animals, some do an assembly line - either way the child learns how, and when, and why to wash). It is making sure every child is safe and healthy. It is feeding healthy foods. It is proper, age appropriate -discipline (which is part of being safe and healthy). It is Derek learning empathy when Katie falls and scrapes her knee and you comfort her with hugs and soothing words. Next time someone falls down Derek is the first one to ask if he is ok and helping him up. It is honoring each child’s family and home and knowing that no matter what those are the people most special to him. It is watching them play with lots of open ended toys and their language and imaginations blossom and fly. It is a provider witting with four or six kids on a rainy afternoon and watching Mary Poppins (gasp!). It is baking cookies together on Sam’s birthday (or just because). It is the nursery rhymes and lullabyes that our moms and grandma’s taught us. It is loving hands, warm hearts, and positive attention and supervision at the right times.

?????What??? What about curriculum? What about planning activities? What about XY&Z? What about it? Curriculum is fine….but what are the goals? Are the goals that the child will be a curious, imaginative, eager, life-long learner with positive social skills? Yes? Ok great! Or are the goals to learn shapes, colors, letters, and counting? Boo. News flash to all….kids will learn all of that through high quality care! You don’t need worksheets or letter of the week or to verbally quiz them during free play (“What color is your block?). Activities are great if they are meaningful and not contrived (and optional for the child). Planning a week-long study on bears just because you know a bear-song and there are some really cute bear crafts on pinterest?...boo again.

As we continue our day, let’s keep this in mind. We, daycare providers, child care providers, and baby-sitters, lets agree on this one thing. Let’s agree to care for the little ones and let everything else fall into place.

Originally posted by Leanna View Post

News flash to all….kids will learn all of that through high quality care!
    I agree with this statement whole-heartedly. I have talked to providers whom feel like providers here have been brainwashed by QRIS-thinking and need to be de-programmed. Providers here are so worried about counting materials, having group time/not having group time, whether or not the assessment sees an example of something being talked about between provider/child,.....where does it end and how do we get back to where we were? :confused:

I enjoyed your post!

Comment

Well said!

Comment

I also enjoyed that and for the most part agree.
        However, I have also used curriculum when it is needed. Again, we can't place all these little square/circle/triangular pegs into those single shaped holes.
        The only thing I would add that we need to be doing is adapting to the children's needs as well.
        Right now we do a "letter of the week" because I have a little girl who will be going into K next year, who needed a light review, and it makes her feel like she is in "big girl school" like her older sisters to have "work" she does here. Now we are talking optional one worksheet a day and maybe a craft once a week, but she LOVES this stuff and spends a LOT of her time every day writing our letter or drawing out the "number" or playing school with the youngers based on our poster.
        The rest of the kids get "what is on our poster" for five minutes a couple of times a day and we talk about the weather, and what day it is today.

I often think of these kids as my own (though now it is more like grand children.) They come, they go, they play, they help work, they just be. Sometimes we do things, sometimes we just snuggle, sometimes I tell them go play with each other. They are part of the family. And yes, just that simple caring attitude, raising little people just by loving them, is as successful, if not more so, than any curriculum could ever hope to be.

Glad to have you as part of the "care team." We need more like you

Comment

I LOVE your post!

I came into this field through a bachelor's degree and experience working in a preschool. Now I do family child care. The more I learn about child development, the more I move away from an "education" model and towards a "care" model. I too love John Holt and Vivian Gussin Paley.

I actually think that most of the early childhood "learning activities" that you see in preschool settings actually get in the way of real learning.

As a preschool teacher, I was told to speak to children in forced, unnatural ways to improve literacy or boost comprehension or whatever. "Oh, Billy, you are eating CIRCLE shaped crackers. Sally has a RECTANGLE shaped sandwich." Ugh. And we wonder why some kids grow to have poor social skills. Whatever happened to real conversation, not contrived around a theme or secretly trying to teach shape recognition?

There is so much pressure to follow these practices, though. Parents want to see cutesy crafts sent home in their kids backpacks. They are under social pressure to have their 2-year-olds recognizing letters and numbers and colors. So we are expected to quiz them.

Get this... my 18-month old son was playing at the train table and picked up two trains, one green and one black. I watched as he looked at the black one and said "Black." And then he looked at the green one and said, "Neen." I smiled and stayed out of it, as I'm trying to do more and more these days. My husband saw, and was excited, and said, "Wow! What one is the black one???" (hoping he'd name it again). My son just stared at him, put down the trains, and walked away. I think kids dislike being put on the spot to perform just like we would as adults. What if my son was in a classroom setting and a teacher was asking him questions like this, and he was responding in the same way by not answering or walking away? I think it would be assumed that he didn't know his colors when clearly he does, but he just doesn't want to perform.

Comment

*** I think many of us were providing these "services" before the buzz words started equating to Federal dollar$ for our States. We were under the umbrella of Human Resouces, but life changed when they moved us under the Dept. of Education.

It all goes in a cycle, don't like the way it is going? Wait 3 more years... it will change. ::::

I love spending time with the kids, not the hype... they inspire my days. lovethis

Back in the day the Kindergarten teachers would give us (licensed childcare providers in their district) a list of things they wanted the kids to know before coming to their class. THAT is what we worked toward, if we hit a road block we could write the teacher and set up a meeting. They used to have time for that and seemed to like it... I miss those days and the relationships that formed locally.

Now my classes are "death by power point" and geared toward large centers. Very little of it applies to FCC.
            - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Originally posted by preschoolteacher View Post
              I LOVE your post!

I came into this field through a bachelor's degree and experience working in a preschool. Now I do family child care. The more I learn about child development, the more I move away from an "education" model and towards a "care" model.
              Same here. I have an AS in child development and came from a center background (worked in a center for 14 years before opening my fcc) where we had all these educational activities that we were required to do. When I opened my fcc, I was still in the center mindset. I often went back and forth between having a more home like environment or preschool environment. And as time went/goes on, I'm moving more towards the "care" model. I do have 3 out of 5 stars through our STARS program and was thinking of trying for a 4, but am quickly moving away from that. I'm happy to be where I am at.

Comment

Originally posted by Leanna View Post

We often have debates on here regarding care for young children vs. education for young children. Often these debates get boiled down to those providers with degrees or a lot of coursework in early childhood education to support “education” while those providers who have come into the field through other channels to support “care.” (I know there are exceptions to this…read on because that really isn’t the point, just a note I am making). This debate gets discussed in all kinds of ways, even in how we refer to ourselves (teacher, baby-sitter, provider, etc.)

I personally chose this career at as a teenager. I was lucky enough to get my Bachelor’s degree in early childhood education. I student taught at our college’s lab preschool, did many field placements, and worked at centers and Head Start before becoming licensed as a provider 6 years ago. I am a member of my local child care RR and the NAEYC. I read studies and journal articles often. Some of my favorite authors are John Holt and Vivian Gussin Paley. I get very upset when this field is portrayed in a negative light and even more upset when a fellow provider does something to bring this on the profession. I am all about professionalizing the field and promoting high-quality child care.

However, in our quest to defend family child care, I think we often divide exactly where we should be coming together. In all of my years of schooling under experts in the field of early childhood I have to say that one of the most important things I learned (possibly THE most important) is that high quality child care is education.

Read that line again...high quality child care is, in itself, education. Early childhood educations is not some mysterious thing that can only be carried out by some special individuals. It is NOT worksheets and crafts and themes. It isn’t even activities and field trips and carefully selected toys. It is CARE. Children grow and learn and prosper (and thus become ready not just for Kindergarten but for LIFE) through high quality care. It is holding a baby while giving her a bottle. “Wow, you are hungry!” you say as the baby gulps down her milk. It is changing a fussy toddlers diaper and engaging him in conversation so he is more cooperative. It is a lot of hand-washing (some sing a song, some pretend their hands are animals, some do an assembly line - either way the child learns how, and when, and why to wash). It is making sure every child is safe and healthy. It is feeding healthy foods. It is proper, age appropriate -discipline (which is part of being safe and healthy). It is Derek learning empathy when Katie falls and scrapes her knee and you comfort her with hugs and soothing words. Next time someone falls down Derek is the first one to ask if he is ok and helping him up. It is honoring each child’s family and home and knowing that no matter what those are the people most special to him. It is watching them play with lots of open ended toys and their language and imaginations blossom and fly. It is a provider witting with four or six kids on a rainy afternoon and watching Mary Poppins (gasp!). It is baking cookies together on Sam’s birthday (or just because). It is the nursery rhymes and lullabyes that our moms and grandma’s taught us. It is loving hands, warm hearts, and positive attention and supervision at the right times.

?????What??? What about curriculum? What about planning activities? What about XY&Z? What about it? Curriculum is fine….but what are the goals? Are the goals that the child will be a curious, imaginative, eager, life-long learner with positive social skills? Yes? Ok great! Or are the goals to learn shapes, colors, letters, and counting? Boo. News flash to all….kids will learn all of that through high quality care! You don’t need worksheets or letter of the week or to verbally quiz them during free play (“What color is your block?). Activities are great if they are meaningful and not contrived (and optional for the child). Planning a week-long study on bears just because you know a bear-song and there are some really cute bear crafts on pinterest?...boo again.

As we continue our day, let’s keep this in mind. We, daycare providers, child care providers, and baby-sitters, lets agree on this one thing. Let’s agree to care for the little ones and let everything else fall into place.
                :hug::hug::hug::hug:

This is me giving you a standing Ovation. The best emoticon I could find for the job...

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Herder View Post
                  *** I think many of us were providing these "services" before the buzz words started equating to Federal dollar$ for our States. We were under the umbrella of Human Resouces, but life changed when they moved us under the Dept. of Education.

It all goes in a cycle, don't like the way it is going? Wait 3 more years... it will change. ::::

I love spending time with the kids, not the hype... they inspire my days. lovethis

Back in the day the Kindergarten teachers would give us (licensed childcare providers in their district) a list of things they wanted the kids to know before coming to their class. THAT is what we worked toward, if we hit a road block we could write the teacher and set up a meeting. They used to have time for that and seemed to like it... I miss those days and the relationships that formed locally.

Now my classes are "death by power point" and geared toward large centers. Very little of it applies to FCC.

Comment

Thank you for taking the time to write this. It was wonderful and just what I needed to read!!!

Comment

Yes yes a thousand times YES! You said it so well and I agree with it all. We do teach them every day, casually, on their playing field. It's flexible and fun. Not rigid. I tried a very focused curriculum once, it didn't work. I stressed out so much making sure we did it the way we were supposed to. The kids had fun with parts of it but they have fun the way I'm doing it now. Difference is we giggle and laugh, hug and cuddle, do things when we feel like doing them, not when a program tells us to.
                      Honestly, kids learn their colors, numbers, letters, etc. They learn lots and lots because their brains are like little sponges. But we don't need to approach caring for children as if we were all schools. The most important thing a young child can learn is that they are loved, safe, secure with the people they're with. If you spend time with them by playing, reading(which I think is hands-down the best thing you can do with a child), watching bugs, whatever they want to do and you let them know you really want to be doing this right now with them...that's worth so much more than teaching them to read by the time they're 2.
                      You're teaching them respect for others and for themselves, love for others and for themselves, compassion, encouraging their natural curiosity to grow.

Comment

:hug::hug:Thank you. I too, needed to hear what you said. happyfacehappyface

Comment

I absolutely love this post!!! I too have a degree in ECE and when I first started out I thought being the highest rated FCC was the most important thing. I pretty much turned my home into the perfect daycare center. I lasted 4 years doing things this way and became so burned out I quit and went into a completely different field.

About 6 months ago, I got back into FCC. It wasn't planned but it just sort of happened and this time around my focus is more on playing and having fun with the kids and less and less about how my "center" looks. I don't care how many math or science toys I have out because honestly the kids don't care and neither do the parents. What the kids want is someone who they can sit on their lap and be told a silly story and the parents want someone that they can trust to care for their child while they are at work.

Thank you so much for posting this! It made me feel great to see others share this same view.

Comment

I love it! I love it! I love it! I totally agree!

Comment

Omigosh! So well said and so enlightening. This is basically the way I do things but have been having a HUGE sense of guilt about not doing specific, structured "curriculum". And my state' regulations reguire you to provide curriculum.

"The licensee must provide a well-balanced curriculum of specific, planned
                              learning experiences that support the social, emotional, physical, intellectual and language development of all children."

Groan.

When my licensor visits she always asks what I am doing regarding that. When I say I use XYZ curriculum she is happy. But I find the whole forced "education" thing disconcerting. I think very young children should be allowed to be very young children and should set their pace. If they are interested in learning about something, they will let you know. They will be forced to spend a good chunk of their lives in school. I see no need to push it on a 2 year old.

I also have issue with the fact that our state changed our title from provider to educator. I do not have a degree in education. I do have a bachelor's degree in psychology and an RN nursing degree. However, in my mind the word educator takes the warmth out of what is special about family child care. I much preferred the word provider.

Comment

Working...
                              X