Maybe I'm Just From Another Era...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe I'm Just From Another Era...

When kids actually respected adults, and adults reprimanded their children for being rude?!

We got a light dusting of snow last night, and dh shoveled and put down salt this a.m. There really was no need to shovel, but dh likes to make sure every pathway is safe for the kids and parents.

Anyway, I could hear dcg and dcm pull up this a.m, and park in the driveway, which is a big no, no, but that's another story.

So, dcg is walking in, and I hear her dramatically screech and call out that she slipped. I can see that she hasn't slipped at all, and is fine. She's the type of kid that trips all the time over nothing. They then come into the house, and dcg says to me, "Your floor is a mess, there's mess everywhere!". I have OCD, so my house is always immaculate, but dh tracked in a little salt on his boots before I got up, and I just noticed it when they arrived. I say to her, "It's not a mess, it's salt from outside", and she says back, "You need to put more.. I slipped"

This was from a very verbal two year old. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, coming from dcm that feels the rules are above her. My mother would have been mortified if I ever spoke to an adult like that, and I would never let my kids be so rude! My goodness! Vent over.

Wow! If I talked to that like an adult, my mom would have gotten after me!

I actually have a dcp who does not allow her dcb to be rude at all! She tells him if he is being rude and makes him say sorry, thank you, please, etc.... and I love it! That's rare!

On the other hand, I have one dcd who lets his child go rampant when they come for p/u and all he says is "oh, M is just showing off for me". No, he is acting like a brat, throwing things, yesterday he bit a stuffed bear and had fur in his mouth! Dad just said the same ol he's showing off. Dcb can't talk -he's almost 2.5, but I'm sure if he could, it would be words instead of actions!

I finally have been saying something to the parent and/or kids.

Comment

I correct the children in front of the parents, if I have too. I don't put up with a whole lot anymore. Children are going to be respectful in my home and they are going to listen. I have a couple children who are terrors when their parents are present. The parent will tell them to do something and the child will talk back, hit, or totally ignore the request. I won't have that crap in my home and they have the same consequences when the parent is here than when they are not. If the parent has to wait for a child to complete a time out - I don't care. Kids need to learn to be respectful! And in the process, maybe the parents will learn how to manage their own children.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsmichelle View Post
        When kids actually respected adults, and adults reprimanded their children for being rude?!

We got a light dusting of snow last night, and dh shoveled and put down salt this a.m. There really was no need to shovel, but dh likes to make sure every pathway is safe for the kids and parents.

Anyway, I could hear dcg and dcm pull up this a.m, and park in the driveway, which is a big no, no, but that's another story.

So, dcg is walking in, and I hear her dramatically screech and call out that she slipped. I can see that she hasn't slipped at all, and is fine. She's the type of kid that trips all the time over nothing. They then come into the house, and dcg says to me, "Your floor is a mess, there's mess everywhere!". I have OCD, so my house is always immaculate, but dh tracked in a little salt on his boots before I got up, and I just noticed it when they arrived. I say to her, "It's not a mess, it's salt from outside", and she says back, "You need to put more.. I slipped"

This was from a very verbal two year old. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, coming from dcm that feels the rules are above her. My mother would have been mortified if I ever spoke to an adult like that, and I would never let my kids be so rude! My goodness! Vent over.
        My reply, “Your manners are a mess.”

After her slip comment, “I saw the incident and Meryl Streep has your Oscar. You did not slip Missy Miss.”

Comment

Yeah, it's not even what she said, because she is just a little baby, but how she said it. It was like she was copying the mannerisms of her mom, and I was really shocked that dcm didn't intervene and say something to her, or apologize. I suppose getting to work on time was more important than teaching dcg about manners today!

Comment

Originally posted by KidGrind View Post
            My reply, “Your manners are a mess.”

After her slip comment, “I saw the incident and Meryl Streep has your Oscar. You did not slip Missy Miss.”
            :: Good ones!

Comment

It's already starting with my one-year olds. Watching their parents trying to get their coats and shoes on at the end of the day is painful. It takes 10 minutes, and they fidget, fight, and run off constantly. Oh boy!

I love these kids and their parents, they're all awesome people, but I can already foresee "bye bye outside" in their future!

Comment

"You do not talk to an adult that way. You use your manners. I am disappointed and will be talking to your parents about the way you are treating others."

Works great with my dcg4 - but her parents ARE on the same page.

Comment

Sing it sister..... :hug:
                  - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

I have no qualms about correcting a child in front of their parents. This is MY house. I give the parents time to do something but if they don't then I will! I put one of my daycare girls in time out one morning for hitting mommy. Mom just looked at her and raised her eyebrows and that was it. I walked her to time out and told her to sit there and I meant it. That this is MY house and in MY house we do NOT hit mommy! Mom just looked at me in awe and went to work .

I agree about how rudely some kids talk to adults. It's horrible and I put an end to that quickly!

Comment

Originally posted by Happily_wed View Post
                      I have no qualms about correcting a child in front of their parents. This is MY house. I give the parents time to do something but if they don't then I will! I put one of my daycare girls in time out one morning for hitting mommy. Mom just looked at her and raised her eyebrows and that was it. I walked her to time out and told her to sit there and I meant it. That this is MY house and in MY house we do NOT hit mommy! Mom just looked at me in awe and went to work .

I agree about how rudely some kids talk to adults. It's horrible and I put an end to that quickly!
                      I had a child start tearing off nametags on the cubbies at pickup and the mom just stood there. When I saw that she was just going to stand and smile I jumped in and dealt with the issue. This child is 4 yrs old....The same child that the dad "carries" in every morning and complains about how heavy he is. I asked if he was going to carry him into Kindergarten ::

Comment

I would say that I agree with many of you, manners are to be used; therefor we teach the children manners and I pray the dcp catch on. The trouble with some children today is the lack of parenting from their parents.

Comment

I am more understanding when the lack of manners comes from a 2 yo than from a 6 yo. I had a 6 yo dcb yesterday, (teacher in-service day). I was bent over picking up toys in the playroom, he happened to be near me. He starts saying 'wow, look at that ginormous....' I whipped around and asked ginormous what...???? He points to the shelves and says shelves, then points to the floor, says floor. This little brat(and yes he is one!!) is 6 years old!!! I called him on it and showed that I was very irate with him, he was being terribly rude and unkind and how that might hurt someone's feelings. I've had him coming since he was 2 1/2 and he's always been a little pickle. Why I still let him attend my daycare is beyond me. Except I've got his little 3 yo sister here too and being a full-timer I can't afford to lose her.

Yes, children seem to be so much ruder than in years past. And they don't care to who. Elderly, teachers, grandparents, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by dapb45 View Post
                            I had a child start tearing off nametags on the cubbies at pickup and the mom just stood there. When I saw that she was just going to stand and smile I jumped in and dealt with the issue. This child is 4 yrs old....The same child that the dad "carries" in every morning and complains about how heavy he is. I asked if he was going to carry him into Kindergarten ::
                            I just, don't, get, how parents can just stand there and watch their child do something like that! It's beyond me.

Comment

Originally posted by dapb45 View Post
                              I had one of those; he carrying him in & out until his last day here when he started school. That day I told the dad his kid had him trained real good, so don't go & try to be in charge now.

Comment

Working...
                              X