Tummy Sleeping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tummy Sleeping

My almost 3 1/2 mo has started rolling over from her back to tummy. Twice today I've rolled her back to her back when she's fallen asleep, but it wakes her up.

At what point do you let them sleep on their tummies?

She's in the family room full-time so I have an almost constant eye on her.

ive always been told that when they can roll themselves over theyre ok

Comment

Originally posted by athacker View Post
      This is what I've been told also.

Comment

yep...if they can roll themselves over, they can tummy sleep. So many choose to at that point, too.

It was scary for me with this last LO, too. I took a picture and sent it to mom..."look what baby did"! This way, you have a little documentation that baby did it herself, not that you PUT her on her tummy to sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by athacker View Post
          Me too, by our ped.

Comment

We actually have a form to fill out and sign, telling the parents that baby can roll over. We both have to sign it indicating everyone knows. Love the paperwork.

Comment

Originally posted by Angelsj View Post
              We actually have a form to fill out and sign, telling the parents that baby can roll over. We both have to sign it indicating everyone knows. Love the paperwork.
              Actually when I first read this my thought was to have dcp sign off on it as a CYA. If licensing stops by they the going to ask why baby isn't on their back. It might be "proof" that the provider wasn't the one putting baby on their tummy.

Comment

My 5 1/2 month old just started doing this. Scared the bejeesus out of me.

It never occurred to me that it was okay, even though I know that.

Mommy brain.

Comment

I also post a sign on the wall near lo's crib "my name is-----. i am --- months old. i can roll back to front, front to back, sit, stand, etc." I also have my SIDS flyer and my PNP regs flyer next to it. my inspectors loved it!

Comment

my regulation says if an infant rolls over I'm to place him/her back on his/her back so at what age would a signed form on the wall by the PNP be satisfying to Licensing?

Comment

Originally posted by Maria2013 View Post
                      my regulation says if an infant rolls over I'm to place him/her back on his/her back so at what age would a signed form on the wall by the PNP be satisfying to Licensing?
                      To me, requiring a provider to move a child who can roll themselves over back on to their backs shows a complete lack of developmentally appropriate practice. I'd compare it with a child who walks early (say around 9-10 months) and every time they stand up being required to force them into a crawling position because they are not 12 months yet...

Comment

Originally posted by Play Care View Post
                        To me, requiring a provider to move a child who can roll themselves over back on to their backs shows a complete lack of developmentally appropriate practice. I'd compare it with a child who walks early (say around 9-10 months) and every time they stand up being required to force them into a crawling position because they are not 12 months yet...
                        yup
                        I wish rules were made by people who actually worked with kids

Comment

Originally posted by Play Care View Post
                          This forms an amusing picture in my head. Can you imagine trying to maintain that? ::
                          However, rolling a sleeping infant over constantly who got there alone seems ridiculous and I am not going to do that. I do keep my littles close so I can watch them, and check them often. I do think at that stage it becomes imperative that you have nothing in that crib except the infant and a nice firm mattress.

Comment

Oh i had one inspector state that we needed to put infant in a pnp and if we move throughout the room, the baby needs to follow us. yes, we needed to push the crib where ever we went. of course we found out this person was the interim inspector and literally had no experience. It was someone from a neighboring department. It was the most bizarre three months of my child care career.

Comment

Working...
                            X