Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do You Allow Observations From Potential Clients...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Soccermom View Post
    I do allow parents to come and *play* with us during business hours. I normally offer them a cup of coffee and have them interact with all of us. They need to bring potential DCK with them.

I tend to include them in our day. I hand them papers to pass out to the kids, make them sit at circle time with us and sing. If they are here during snack time I have them pass out the lunch boxes and help open juice boxes, ect.

I can't stand someone just standing behind me watching everything I do but I am always up for an extra set of hands!
    I would be scared to death to have a complete stranger sit that close to my daycare kids. The liability would be waaay too much.

And my food program and licensing would have a fit if I allowed someone without clearance and a current food handlers permit to pass out food. Hepatitis anyone?

Comment

I did interviews during business hours and had parents bring their child for a short playdate during daycare hours if they requested it but only if I had an opening and was actually looking to fill it. I would not even do an interview if I was not filling an opening. I wouldn't want to go through the nervousness (I am a worry wart...) and all the deep cleaning I think I need to do before an interview for a family who will probably find someone else before I have an opening,

Comment

first interview is after hours, I see if we are a fit. If so, I invite them to come view our circle time for about 20-30 minutes. After that no more.

Comment

Originally posted by daycare View Post
          first interview is after hours, I see if we are a fit. If so, I invite them to come view our circle time for about 20-30 minutes. After that no more.

Comment

No

I interview at 430 pm when I have at least one kid in the house. I do three interviews. By the time the child starts the family has been in my home about five hours. I don't believe it is necessary to do more than that.

I also don't believe that the average parent has the ability to assess a well running child care. I buy plane tickets but I am not able to assess whether a plane is safe or not. I don't think there is much value in observation. I think parents are more interested in the experience of seeing the other kids and getting a glimpse of how you do something they can't dream of being able to do (manage multiple kids with theirs).

I definitely see why they want to but it is too much for me.
            http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
              I have this line on standby for potentials who want to observe:

"While I understand that you would want to "see me in action" before leaving your child for the first time, I cannot allow it for several reasons.

First is the privacy of the other children and their family's. I do diaper changes, deal with medical issues/conditions, and discuss their home life with them on a daily basis. I have a strict privacy policy and having another adult around violates the trust between my clients and myself.

Second, you are a stranger to the children and their parents. Please consider how you would feel if your child were in care and I allowed a strange adult to the daycare to observe your child.

Third, I consider the trust my clients place in me the cornerstone of our relationship. In a childcare relationship I am asking that a client trust me completely with their child. I ask for honesty and open communication. Asking me to prove myself above and beyond my criminal background check, photo identification, insurance information, and references is not something I am willing to do.

I do understand if you need to find other arrangements. Just know that I value the children's safety and security above all else and allowing adults in to observe them is not part of the safe and secure environment I promise them each and every day."

I would also add that (depending on state) licensing will not allow it because any adult that is there for more than a certain amount of time (even if their child is enrolled) must have a background check/finger prints and a TB test (some states require a TB test).

But in the future maybe consider making a promotional video to show to potential clients where you record your average day and some interactions with the children (like circle time, reading with them, or helping them wash their hands). But of course I would make sure you have all the parents permission and let them know that this will never go on the internet, no copies will be distributed to strangers, and is only for personal use at your home/daycare for the purpose of showing potential clients and that you will show them the final product before using it in an interview. Probably also look into blurring out the children's faces if they do not give permission or if that is their preference.

Comment

Working...
              X