Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have You Asked Businesses to Donate Things For Your Daycare?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have You Asked Businesses to Donate Things For Your Daycare?

I went to a conference last weekend and in one of the classes she mentioned ways to gather free paper. She said you can call
    *architect businesses (old blueprints)
    *local newspaper (ask for the end roll pick up day)
    *local office supply store (ask for out dated calendars)
    *local print shop (ask for scrap paper or cardstock paper)

Has anyone else ever called businesses and had them donate things? I'm just trying to think of things I could use for the daycare and get for free!

YEP! No time to post now, but I will share later.

One thing now though......call your local wood working shops and lumber stores. Ask for the "scraps" I have an awesome set of wooden blocks that I got from a wood turning shop 13 years ago and the kids use them every day. I called and asked for scraps, and they actually used their scraps and smoothed them into blocks for me for free! You would be amazed at the stuff you can get for free if you simply ask!

Comment

Crystal,
      That's a great idea.... I will add wood working shops and lumber stores to the list! Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated :-)

Comment

ive asked the pharmacy for film canisters.

we have a plastic factory nearby, they gave me tubs that they molded wrong (but fit perfectly in my homemade sand table)

resteraunts/diners for menus

i would love old xrays, but havent gotten around to asking any doctors yet

and at garage sales, if you bat your eyes and tell them its for the daycare children, they usually give you it for free....

Comment

melskids- Great ideas! I bet doctors offices would donate band aids, gloves, and other stuff too if you told them you wanted to do a doctors theme for your little ones.

Comment

I read that one provider had a local pizza place donate new pizza boxes and she uses them for marble painting. Does anyone else have any good ideas?

Comment

Just a hint on donations:

You will have the best luck at 'ma and pa' type stores. The bigger chains will donate if you have a letterhead with your tax ID number on it, sometimes only if you're non-profit.

Comment

Originally posted by kpa0627 View Post
                I read that one provider had a local pizza place donate new pizza boxes and she uses them for marble painting. Does anyone else have any good ideas?
                I have done this as well.....I actually have restaraunts donate many things.....pizza places - boxes, menus, number tents for the table,
                Chinese rest. - to go boxes, menus, chop sticks, placemats...the kids love to play restaraunt and I have also used the pizza boxes to make portable flannel boards. Most restaraunts will give you this stuff....especially if you ask while you are dining there

Vet - old xrays, travel boxes, etc.
                Dentists- old xrays, toothbrushes, dental floss, mirrorrs, etc.
                Fabric stores - remnants of fabric
                Construction company - hardhats, blueprints, etc.

I use this stuff to create "prop boxes" for dramatic play. Then when the children are pretending I have the materials available to pull out and offer to them to enhance their play.

One way to entice the stores to donate is by offering to display their materials and business cards.

Comment

Great ideas Crystal. I'm looking for cheap ways to add to prop boxes for my themes too so these ideas will be really helpful when I'm gathering my stuff.

Comment

I have a Dad who is a tile layer...he brings us left over tiles from job sites and we use them for decorative coaters and garden stepping stones for gifts. We paint on them, use permanent markers, glitter and anything else that sticks!

Comment

I would really love to get some of these things. How do you ask, and who do you ask?

I got carpet samples before from a carpet store they didn't seem to like doing it even though they said yes.
                      Last edited by DCMomOf3; 10-27-2010, 12:48 PM. Reason: more comments

Comment

when the christmas tree lots go up around town, ask one to donate the pieces they cut off at the bottom of the trunk. These can be cut into thin rounds, coated in clear laquer and used for building, art activities, etc.

You can also ask them for some of the pine branches so the kids can make wreaths, use them as paint brushes for painting with, etc.

Comment

paintstores/paint sections at home depot, etc. Collect several of their paint cards. at least two of each color. these can be used for learning colors, sorting, matching, memory games, etc. Best if you can laminate them.

Comment

Go to http://www.usps.com

You can order supplies for shipping for free and set up a post office for the kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Quincy View Post
                              I would really love to get some of these things. How do you ask, and who do you ask?

I got carpet samples before from a carpet store they didn't seem to like doing it even though they said yes.
                              I typically ask a store manager if it is a larger store. At restaraunts, I just ask my waittress or whoever is at the counter.

Generally you should be able to ask whoever is working......you just can't be shy about it!

Comment

Working...
                              X