Screaming 11 month old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screaming 11 month old

I have an 22 month old two days a week, this is his third week in care.
    All day he screams, to the point where I'm closing doors and windows it sounds so horrible.
    I should probably mention I've only started FDC a couple of months ago, this isn't something I'm familiar with or have dealt with before.
    My little boy, along with the two other children, are starting to become horribly upset the days he is here, I have no idea what to do.
    I've tried absolutely every distraction you can think of, his mother just seems to think it's an adjustment issue that will pass. I don't think I'll be able to stick it out for much longer.
    My scheme says I can't terminate for at least another month as on paper I have to at lead give him a chance. Any ideas on what I can tell the mother to encourage her taking him out herself?

I'm confused... So your own contract is forcing you to keep him? Why? I have a 2 week trial period and then after that the parents are required to give 2 weeks notice and I can terminate immediately at any time. I would never force myself to keep children who I couldn't or didn't want to care for. I would change your contract first of all. Second, I don't know that there's anything you can do to get mom to term on her own. You have given him a chance, 3 weeks of chances and no change. I would just give her notice and say she will need to find care after 12/31/13 or whatever you decide. Then she can pull him out whenever she's like after your contract is fulfilled.

Comment

I'm in Australia so it may be different here, basically I fall under a service who has all admin and legal responsibility over my FDC. I set my own fees etc but the rest is up to them.
      They've told me that I need to stick it out and try waiting it out with him to encourage a settling in period, I just really don't want to wait that long.

Comment

Oh Jeeze... I have no clue then! Sounds like that could be a problem.

Comment

wow...that's terrible!

There is no way a little guy like that (11 or 22 months?) is going to adjust soon if he's only there 2 days a week. The only thing I can come up with is that mom bring him every day, or come to visit with him every day, so he can get to know you. That's all I can think of.

Forcing you by contract to keep a child that is miserable is just plain stupid! If providers don't have an "out", the chances of abuse are incredibly high. I am NOT saying you would abuse a child, but if someone feels trapped, that's not cool.

Comment

Sorry, he's 11 months.
            Yes I agree, I do feel forced to keep him in care. I'm having a chat to his mother this afternoon, just not sure what to say.

Comment

So if I'm understanding correctly, you can't terminate care but the parent can? If so, I would just have a frank talk with the mom about what is going on and tell her that it's in her child's best interest that she look for other care. I'm sure she doesn't want her child miserable any more than you do.

Comment

I definitely agree. The problem is she's starting back at work on Monday and I don't think she's interested in looking elsewhere for care not would she have time.
                I know in the end it's not my problem but I do feel for her.
                I can terminate after another few weeks of attempting settling him in, but I feel nothing will change in that time.
                She is aware of him screaming as I've called her numerous times while he's been distraught, she's told me he just has to harden up as she starts work next week.
                Lord he'll me.

Comment

Working...
                X