Charging For Holidays Explanation Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charging For Holidays Explanation Question

How do I explain to parents the reasoning why I charge for holidays that I take off (ex. Christmas Eve & Christmas, New Year's Eve, New Year's Day, Labor Day & Memorial Day, etc)? I explained in my parent handbook that I don't charge for the one spring break week that I take off during the year, since it's my only vacation time, but I expect to be paid for the full month even if their is a holiday during that month. How can I explain this is normal operating procedure at most, if not all daycares/ home daycares?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    How do I explain to parents the reasoning why I charge for holidays that I take off (ex. Christmas Eve & Christmas, New Year's Eve, New Year's Day, Labor Day & Memorial Day, etc)? I explained in my parent handbook that I don't charge for the one spring break week that I take off during the year, since it's my only vacation time, but I expect to be paid for the full month even if their is a holiday during that month. How can I explain this is normal operating procedure at most, if not all daycares/ home daycares?
    I don't explain. I tell them the days I take off are to spend with my own family, for down time, so that I can be the best provider I can be

Comment

Because you charge based on enrollment, not attendance. I personally only charge for the actual holiday, not the day before or after that I'm closed. I also don't charge for my vacation time as I understand they'll need to pay for alternate care during that time. Some people take 2 weeks of PAID vacation as well as MANY holidays paid. I only close for handful of the major holidays, but I'm open on days like today, President's Day, etc. but am closed and paid on Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years Day, the Monday after Easter, Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day. But I close Christmas Eve and the day after Thanksgiving unpaid. This year I'm taking off like 2 whole weeks because I don't even have DCKs here that need care!!

Comment

Thanks

Thank you for the information.

Comment

I don't explain it to parents unless they fuss about it. At first, I simply tell them that I will be closed on such and such holiday, which will be a paid holiday. If the parent fusses about paying me for the holiday, I explain that I have been in this business for 25 years, and that if they worked for Walmart, or had some office job for 25 years, they would receive paid holidays. Some parents then understand and agree to pay for the holiday. However, some then start on the 'but you OWN this business, you are not my paid employee. If they start on that kick, I just tell them, "fine, don't worry about paying me." I figure that the majority of my parents are okay with paying me for days off, so I don't fuss about the one or two that have a problem with it. Honestly, I can see it both ways. So I don't make a big deal about it.

Comment

I wouldn't explain anything! You should get your paid holidays, vacation, and personal days just like they do at there job. In my contract I take just the major holidays, 1 week vacation, and 3 personal days. If I have to close in the event of emergency, or sickness then I will credit them those days. They get it at there job and so should you.

Comment

Originally posted by Barb1719 View Post
              Thank you for the information.
              Welcome to the forum!

Comment

I don't explain either. I feel there is no need for explanation. Before they sign the contract they are given the "Provider Paid Holiday/Vacation Schedule". If they question "why?" I take those holidays/vacation days, I simply say because "those are my holidays and vacation days" and I know that if they are asking for an explanation they probably are not a good fit.

Comment

Originally posted by permanentvacation View Post
                  I don't explain it to parents unless they fuss about it. At first, I simply tell them that I will be closed on such and such holiday, which will be a paid holiday. If the parent fusses about paying me for the holiday, I explain that I have been in this business for 25 years, and that if they worked for Walmart, or had some office job for 25 years, they would receive paid holidays. Some parents then understand and agree to pay for the holiday. However, some then start on the 'but you OWN this business, you are not my paid employee. If they start on that kick, I just tell them, "fine, don't worry about paying me." I figure that the majority of my parents are okay with paying me for days off, so I don't fuss about the one or two that have a problem with it. Honestly, I can see it both ways. So I don't make a big deal about it.
                  I don't usually have to explain it, either. Even the centers here charge for Holidays, I think.

As for a paid vacation, my sister gets 3 weeks per year. Her justification is that she's been a provider for 23 years. I personally believe that's pushing it, because she hasn't worked for THESE parent's for 23 years. But, she lives in a big city and people will pay it. I think one COULD argue that if you didn't charge for holidays or vacations, you would have to raise hourly rates instead in order to "meet my fiscal budget" or something along those lines. We may be only one person running a business, but we are a business, and our employees (ha ha...us) need to get paid a fair living wage.

Comment

I agree! The contracted hours/vacation/payment, etc. should come across as non-negotiable in the interview process. It is funny to think about now, but I remember thinking I would lose all my kids when I started charging for 52 weeks a year....I literally would be shaking in my shoes when explaining the contract but years later, it just works! A support system works wonders in family child care and I have been blessed with great fcc providers.

Comment

I don't explain it either. I don't understand, we are professionals and should be treated as such. If they don't get paid holidays I would be willing to make adjustments but if they get the time paid and off to spend with families I don't see why they would make such a fuss.

Comment

You don't owe them an explanation!

Comment

Very few dc parents have ever asked why I charge for holidays when I'm closed but the couple of times I was asked, I responded, "Honestly? Because I can. It's pretty much the norm around here. You won't find too many providers who don't charge for holidays." That seemed to do the trick.

Comment

My handbook lists the holidays I am closed, explains vacations and professional development, and then says
                            "...is my business, and provides an essential part of my family's income. As does any other professional, I expect to continue earning my salary on holidays and vacations. I understand that this can be a hardship for families, and so have chosen not to take paid sick days, and to move down from the five weeks' paid vacation I had while I taught in a school to only three weeks a year. Many families find it easiest to schedule their own vacations to correspond with ....'s closings."

Comment

Wow. This sounds greedy and entitled to close for a day and still charge. I get it if a person doesn’t show up and you had a spot blocked for that kid and you were ready and waiting for that kid, but if you close your doors, you should not ask people to pay you for not being available that day.
                              I get paid for the hours that I am at work, doing work. When my work closes for a holiday, we don’t get paid because we aren’t working. If we want time off for a vacation, sickness, etc. We have to budget beforehand because if we aren’t working, we don’t get paid. Work=money
                              Maybe you should charge more for the days that you ARE working to cover those times that you want money when you AREN'T working?
                              No work=no money in my world. Be responsible and budget.

Comment

Working...
                              X