Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Finding Your Smile Again", I have the book and do need to reread it. It made some good points and offered sensible suggestions. Putting them into practice is always a hard thing because I've found that as providers, we're nurturers and not used to nurturing ourselves. Plus we never want to let others down.

Comment

This forum is super helpful for that burn out feeling. I really like knowing there are other providers out there that are at home- alone- do adult interactions all day. And it's true about parents respecting you more when you take the day off.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Herder View Post
        This is the worst time of year for it. :hug:

Winter blahs, Kids with cabin fever, vitamin D deficiency, tax season stress (ours and clients), surprise inspections, annual trainings due, ratings time again, and all the uncertainty of who will be staying through $ummer makes everyone I know worn down.

You are not alone and there is no shame in being HUMAN. lovethis Have you heard of the book "Finding your smile again"? I am rereading it myself this week.
        FANTASTIC book! Jeff Johnson is a great guy too.

Personally, going to conferences or child care group meetings helps me avoid burning out. (And making sure I have at least 1 day off each month!)

Comment

Great post.Meditation helps in reducing stress.My husband and I always meditate for an hour everyday in the morning.It really helps.

Comment

I love my current group. Families are great. I'm not rich but am able to pay my bills. So where is the issue? I'm not even sure. Except to say I feel burned out on life altogether.:confused:

Comment

Originally posted by Josiegirl View Post
              I love my current group. Families are great. I'm not rich but am able to pay my bills. So where is the issue? I'm not even sure. Except to say I feel burned out on life altogether.:confused:
              :hug: :hug:

Comment

Sounds like you need a short break, or a temporary change, even if it's only a week or 2. If you haven't taken a vacation lately, I'd get one set up. I know from business experience that with any business, sometimes we need to take at least a week and do something different and not even think about the business.
                Children are little angels, even when they are little devils.
                They are also our future.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                  Sounds like you need a short break, or a temporary change, even if it's only a week or 2. If you haven't taken a vacation lately, I'd get one set up. I know from business experience that with any business, sometimes we need to take at least a week and do something different and not even think about the business.
                  I'm not burned out although partly bc I took a week vacation 2 weeks ago. Sadly, I want another day off already and cannot wait until Thanksgiving. Lol

Comment

:hug: I'm feeling a little the same lately.

Comment

My suggestion : Unplug. :hug:

No tv, newspapers, internet or radio news for 3-5 days. Longer if possible. ::

Turns out the sky is not falling for everyone, at all times.

We all have hard times but are often granted peaceful times in between. Plugging in keeps us in a constant state of limbo and drama.

When we have some peace we fill it with other peoples drama. :confused::confused: Out of societal responsibility? Guilt of privilege? Even if hard earned? I am tired of that rhetoric. I don't have much, but I can afford some peace and quiet.

Sure, we should help others where we can, but when you are drained there is no shame in enjoying your current blessing of personal peace.

There is no way of knowing when your next personal crisis is coming. To stop borrowing others problems is simply self defense.
                      - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

:hug:

Comment

Can't wait till I get my surgery!! I can finally get some rest and a small vacation. Let's hope that my work won't asked me to reschedule it. I haven't used up my v time yet and I have saved up 70 hours

Comment

I will say it again, I think one of the main reasons providers suffer burn out is that they don't take enough vacation/days off. I take the school holidays off, and 3 weeks a years of vacation. I have seen posts on dc message boards from providers that pride themselves on taking no days off because there clients complain or they feel for whatever reason that they cant.
                            Another tip is to know your limitations, dont take on to much. Another way to feel burn out is to take kids even though they may not be the right fit because you are worried about making ends meet (I totally get that). One child can really color they mood of the whole group.
                            I also think a lot of providers are bothered by the isolation this job can create. Get away from your house, make sure you have some adult interaction every day of some sort!
                            Deb

Comment

Love this thread and am ordering the book!

I know I do tend to take on too much. Then I end up chastising myself after the fact. I tend to over-empathize with my clients, both my dcps and my legal clients.

I am beyond grateful I found this forum as it helps!!! happyface

And have pledged to begin next year with the motto: wwbc31do? ::

I am making baby steps. I am in the process of revamping my contract and creating a separate handbook just for policies. I have even managed to sleep train both my infant dcbabies so that I can lay them down for a nap at the same time, whereas before I alternated their naps.

I also just doubled my legal rate and am thinking of increasing it another $50. Sounds extreme, but I had not raised my rates since 1993! Long overdue!

I also have decided to save my sanity and hire a second person in afternoons to supervise outside play, , so my assistant has an assistant! I am soooooo not an outdoors person, but I still average at least an hour in the evenings outside so I can interact with my 5-year-old!

I wish I liked the taste of wine as I heard that it is quite relaxing...

Thanks to the owner of the site and all that contribute!!!

Comment

I recommend meditation and yoga

Comment

Working...
                                X