Meal Time Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meal Time Issues

Well more specifically breakfast time issue. I have two, 2 y/o's (the girl is almost 3) Lately they have been in the habit of asking for breakfast (8:30) and then having 3 bits of it then saying to me that they are done. Then about 10 they are asking for a snack. (I cut out morning snack along time ago because they weren't eating there lunch) Now that said, I understand that they are kids and that they can through you a curve ball some times. But this has been for two weeks now. They don't really understand the concept of a snack because they reguard it as a meal. I always ask the parents if they had something at home which would explain them not wanting brk here. This morning was cheerios and banana. What a huge waste of food! Part of me thinks its just cause they want to run off and play. Thoughts?
    Deb

I have 2 three yr olds who do/did this. One is a sibling I watch on occasion but the other was here regularly for 2yrs and started doing it a couple mos ago. He's since moved on to preschool FT but i think you're correct in their desire to play over eat. Mine would say they ate breakfast at home and weren't hungry so I would feed everyone and then clean up only to have them say "I'm hungry, I didn't eat breakfast" Or like your'a, not eat breakfast when I serve it at 7:45-8am and then they're hungry at 9! They want to play and not eat!
    What about pushing breakfast to 9am? Our food program allows a 2Hr window to serve and can serve at 2 different times, 7-9am. Maybe serving at 9am and skipping that AM snack like usual and doing lunch at say 11:30? We can serve between 11am-1pm. I know it can make your whole day different but maybe it would be better in the long run for food waste.

Comment

I serve breakfast at 8 and everyone sits at the table until 8:30. I serve lunch at 11:30 and everyone sits until 12:00. I think this helps set the stage to not want to run off and play like their friends are. I set a timer for each meal, and they need to be asked to be excused and help clean up. I don't serve AM snack typically.

When I didn't have them sit for the duration, after the first one got up from the table, it was an avalanche effect.

Comment

that's a great idea. Food program considers 9am and later to be a snack. I think one reason it occurs to them to have a snack is that we have been indoors more so there minds aren't as occupied with other activity. I think there a little more bored in the colder months!
        Thanks, Deb

Comment

Working...
        X