Interviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interviews

I have a big problem saying no to families that are not a good fit before and/or at the interview. How do you guys do it?

Today I got an email from a family saying they needed care starting monday for their 23 mo- they also referred to us as a center (which we are not) but said they spent lots of time on our website and loved our program (I would think they would get that we are not a center if they had!).

A couple of red flags for me are looking for care starting immediately and wanting a center when we are not one so I figured I would respond to the emal monday, that will be too late for them and problem solved.

Then she called this afternoon. My home phone is the same as work so I answered.

She says the "fired" their home dcp Thursday because provider's child bite theirs twice (but they didn't talk to dcp about it, just pulled w/ no notice because she "must not be doing anything about it")

I tell her don't have any openings until next week at the earliest and we don't do temp care. She says she understands and can find someone temp because she really likes what we offer (even after I explained we were not a center as she thought)

She is a teacher so will I want to be paid during summer when he is not here? (um yes, then she says oh okay, well I will talk to hubby about it, I am sure it will be fine )

We do lots of field trips- she says "that's fine w/ me as long as you think you can handle him in public"

We do lots of preschool/pre-preschool activities- she says "and you find they will sit down and do any of those?"

He doesn't talk at all, he has never been in an environment w/ learning activities

Oh, and the kicker- he would be here 7-5:30, open to close for us (then a 1 hour drive to and from daycare since they live an hour away and work here so no time w/ parents at all, except in the car)

So obviously not a good fit- but how do I go about telling them that on the phone and not setting up an interview? She SAID our program would work for them, but I get the distinct impression that she will either use us as temp care until she finds something she likes more, or that she will pull him this summer so she wont have to pay, and that he has no "in public" training, that he will not like our learning environment, that he will have behavior problems based on lack of time w/ parents...

What would you say? Would you go ahead and set up an interview ( I did, I didn't know what to say to not set it up) but for future I would like to avoid a wasted interview!

Originally posted by JoseyJo View Post
    I have a big problem saying no to families that are not a good fit before and/or at the interview. How do you guys do it?

Today I got an email from a family saying they needed care starting monday for their 23 mo- they also referred to us as a center (which we are not) but said they spent lots of time on our website and loved our program (I would think they would get that we are not a center if they had!).

A couple of red flags for me are looking for care starting immediately and wanting a center when we are not one so I figured I would respond to the emal monday, that will be too late for them and problem solved.

Then she called this afternoon. My home phone is the same as work so I answered.

She says the "fired" their home dcp Thursday because provider's child bite theirs twice (but they didn't talk to dcp about it, just pulled w/ no notice because she "must not be doing anything about it")

I tell her don't have any openings until next week at the earliest and we don't do temp care. She says she understands and can find someone temp because she really likes what we offer (even after I explained we were not a center as she thought)

She is a teacher so will I want to be paid during summer when he is not here? (um yes, then she says oh okay, well I will talk to hubby about it, I am sure it will be fine )

We do lots of field trips- she says "that's fine w/ me as long as you think you can handle him in public"

We do lots of preschool/pre-preschool activities- she says "and you find they will sit down and do any of those?"

He doesn't talk at all, he has never been in an environment w/ learning activities

Oh, and the kicker- he would be here 7-5:30, open to close for us (then a 1 hour drive to and from daycare since they live an hour away and work here so no time w/ parents at all, except in the car)

So obviously not a good fit- but how do I go about telling them that on the phone and not setting up an interview? She SAID our program would work for them, but I get the distinct impression that she will either use us as temp care until she finds something she likes more, or that she will pull him this summer so she wont have to pay, and that he has no "in public" training, that he will not like our learning environment, that he will have behavior problems based on lack of time w/ parents...

What would you say? Would you go ahead and set up an interview ( I did, I didn't know what to say to not set it up) but for future I would like to avoid a wasted interview!
    I usually tell them that I have 2 or 3 interviews set up for the spot. If I don't think it will be a good fit then they just assume I didn't pick them.

If I can tell right away and don't want to interview I tell them that the current parent 'might' be moving out of town for their job but they are not positive about it yet and I'm not sure I'll have a spot. I'll call and let them know if they give me their number. This is assuming you have a cold call and haven't advertised. If you have advertised you could go with option 1 above.

Laurel

Comment

23 months and not talking at all yet?

it actually sounds like his behavior is poor and that the mom decided to pull him out under the guise of the biting issue before the provider kicked him out due to behavior.

anyway, I would interview and really figure out what you are sensing here. If you know you won't take them, cut off the interview in a quicker manner and tell mom you will let her know as you are conducting other interviews. Then follow up with an email, quick response that you don't feel they would be the right fit for your daycare and refer to them to wherever you send parents that need help finding a daycare....local resource of some sort.

Comment

Originally posted by cheerfuldom View Post
        23 months and not talking at all yet?

it actually sounds like his behavior is poor and that the mom decided to pull him out under the guise of the biting issue before the provider kicked him out due to behavior.

anyway, I would interview and really figure out what you are sensing here. If you know you won't take them, cut off the interview in a quicker manner and tell mom you will let her know as you are conducting other interviews. Then follow up with an email, quick response that you don't feel they would be the right fit for your daycare and refer to them to wherever you send parents that need help finding a daycare....local resource of some sort.
        Thanks so much guys!

I was also thinking maybe her child was the biter and she was termed, especially given her frantic search for childcare on Sunday. She did mention a few times that she hoped he didn't pick up the bad behavior from the other child and start biting too which would be a good cover story if he bit here.

I am now thatI won't take them, if for nothing else than for the fact that she will most likely pull him in the spring to avoid paying for the summer. As I really hate interviewing I want long term families as much as possible!!

I will just make the interview as short as I can (I am a big talker as you guys can tell I'm sure from my posts ) and let her know I have other interviews for the spot and will let her know.

Thanks again so much!!!

Comment

If you don't want to even do the interview you could say "After thinking over our conversation, I don't feel that our program will be a good fit for your needs."

Comment

Originally posted by MyAngels View Post
            If you don't want to even do the interview you could say "After thinking over our conversation, I don't feel that our program will be a good fit for your needs."
            I agree. If you know for sure that you will not take them, don't waste your time in interviewing. Call back and cancel the interview and let them know that after some consideration, you don't feel that you would be a good fit for their family. Don't say anything specific and don't let them keep you on the phone with negotiations.

Comment

Thanks guys for all the help, especially on Sunday evening!

I sent her an email cancelling the interview.

I talked about it with my hubby (partner in dc) and from now on we are going to set up a phone interview w/ prospective clients (right now we just do a short prescreening when they call, answer any questions and set up a in person interview) then at the end of the phone interview let them know that we have other interviews for the spot and will contact them to set up a in-person interview. That way we have a buffer to think about it before setting up an interview where we know it won't work.

Comment

Originally posted by JoseyJo View Post
                Thanks guys for all the help, especially on Sunday evening!

I sent her an email cancelling the interview.

I talked about it with my hubby (partner in dc) and from now on we are going to set up a phone interview w/ prospective clients (right now we just do a short prescreening when they call, answer any questions and set up a in person interview) then at the end of the phone interview let them know that we have other interviews for the spot and will contact them to set up a in-person interview. That way we have a buffer to think about it before setting up an interview where we know it won't work.
                Great idea!!!

Comment

Working...
                X