In Your Professional Opinion.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Your Professional Opinion.....

Many years ago at my former center there was a boy who was almost 5 years old. He carried around a doll. A brand new baby doll. He wanted one so the parents bought him one. He never played with it, just carried it around. Like a security blanket. He had an older sister and an older brother so it wasn't like he had younger siblings. Eventually the other kids were making fun of him and it wore on him so he stopped bringing the doll.

I now care for a 2.5 year old boy. We were finishing up lunch and there was a commercial for Baby Alive (I think it was BA). He said "I want that" I said..."you do?". He said "yes I do". He has a baby sister (5 months old). I said "well what about D? You can play with her". "No, I want my baby to do flips!" ::

Which brings me to my question. In your professional opinion, do you think it's ok for a boy to play with dolls?

I totally think it is okay for a boy to play with dolls, I think they they realize as they get older they cant always do it in front of alot of other kids, but they say that a little boy playing with a baby doll, is imitating daddy carrying around a baby, so if daddy is carrying a baby, why can't a little boy, just because a boy carries around a doll, doesn't mean a thing, my son every once in a while plays with the dolls, It makes me smile when I see him tucking the baby in the bed, I think to myself that he has compassion, he knows that you have to take care of the little ones, I think its sweet, I have another little boy who every once in a while brings a baby doll with him and its pink to! totally cool!

Comment

Why would there even be any hesitation? Yes. A million times - YES.

Comment

Absolutely it's ok for boys to play with babies. There is no reason why they should not. Pretend play is extremely important for both boys and girls. It helps them figure out things in the real world and work through all the information that they take in every day. It's also a great way for children to learn empathy and how to take care of other people.

And for the little 2 year old of yours, he has a new baby sister, but probably isn't allowed to hold her much and she certainly can't do flips :: or play much yet, so he needs a way to figure it all out. He watches mom and dad care for the baby and play with the baby. It's NO DIFFERENT than a girl wanting the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Former Teacher View Post
          Which brings me to my question. In your professional opinion, do you think it's ok for a boy to play with dolls?
          There have been studies that show that if boys are allowed to play with dolls and actually play with them like they are babies (hold them, feed them, carry them around like buddies, care for them etc.) that those boys become better nurturers and fathers. So in my opinion, yes it's ok with boys to play with dolls. If they are caring for the dolls like a baby then they may become awsome fathers/teachers/caregivers etc, if they throw them, make them do flips, launch them like rockets ... well then it's like an action figure right? So what's the difference in playing with an action figure or a baby doll of they are going to play with them the same way??::

Comment

I have two sons. They each have their own dolls, and my older son has two. They also have a stroller and a crib for their dolls. They don't play with them all the time by any means, but they do play with them. They have a great daddy, and I hope they will grow up to be great daddies as well!

Comment

I totally agree with boys playing with dolls. Pretend play is so benificial to toddlers, my 2 1/2 year old daycare boy was playing with the bin of baby dolls/clothes today.

Comment

Yep, perfectly acceptable. Even more so in the situation you described! I'm sure the boy would LOVE to have his own baby that he can play with and treat however he wants, since he can't do that to his sister!

I agree also with the pps who mentioned that boys who get to play with dolls often grow up to be more nurturing/caretaking. There is an interesting paradox in our society: most of us want men (ex: husbands) to be nurturing and caregiving, to help with the kids, be compassionate and caring. BUT--we (as a society) do very little to encourage and foster these qualities in young boys. Young boys have the nurturing side trained out of them, more often than not, as they are discouraged from playing with dolls or play kitchens or anything else "girly". Yet, a girl who wants to play with trains and trucks is perfectly allowed to do so.

Heck yeah, that boy should get to have a baby doll! I'd give his mom a heads up on his request!
                Hee hee! Look, I have a signature!

Comment

YES, YES, YES!

if a boy wants to play with dolls or even dress up like a princess - it's OKAY! my husband didn't like it when i'd paint my nails and my daughter's nails and my son wanted his nails painted. id always pull the, "i don't tell u how to do your job" card on that one. i painted his nails! he's 4 now and has no interest. he's a typical boy and STRONG too!

it's the boys who don't get to explore that want to explore later!

my 6 year old daughter wants an "american girl" doll and of course she asked her little brother if he wanted one. of COURSE since he has to do everything she does, he said YES! they do make male "american girl" dolls, and i really don't want to spend 100+ dollars on a male doll i know he probably won't have anything to do with, but i'll probably get it for him anyway.

most little boys grow out of it and have no interest in such things, but there are the 6 and 7 year old boys who are still into dress up and things of that nature, and i just hope their parents can come to terms with it bc more than likely, they'll have to later!

well, i guess that was my personal opinion, but in my professional, early childhood educated (batting eyelashes) opinion - you should DEFINITELY let boys play w dolls.
                  Last edited by QualiTcare; 10-19-2010, 09:51 PM.

Comment

my older son had one
                    my younger one never wanted one

my older son is loving and affectionate (age 16)
                    my younge son is a brute! (age 8)

is there a connection? Probably not hahahahah but play it safe - buy all boys a doll!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarinaVanessa View Post
                      There have been studies that show that if boys are allowed to play with dolls and actually play with them like they are babies (hold them, feed them, carry them around like buddies, care for them etc.) that those boys become better nurturers and fathers. So in my opinion, yes it's ok with boys to play with dolls. If they are caring for the dolls like a baby then they may become awsome fathers/teachers/caregivers etc, if they throw them, make them do flips, launch them like rockets ... well then it's like an action figure right? So what's the difference in playing with an action figure or a baby doll of they are going to play with them the same way??::
                      absolutely!!!

Comment

thats so funny because my older son (14) never played with "girl" toys and he is the most loving, caring, sweet, compassionate young man i have ever met.

my younger son (8) plays with "girl" stuff all the time. pink tutu and nail polish all the way... and he is the most monsterous obnoxious rough and tumble brut of a manly boy. so hopefully playing with the girly stuff will foster a softer, more gentle side as he gets older.

and yes, i agree with everyone else....its fine for boys to play with dolls

Comment

Absolutely it's okay!

I teach all of my daycare children that there are no "girl toys" or "boy toys".....

just "kids toys"

Comment

Originally posted by Pammie View Post
                            Absolutely it's okay!

I teach all of my daycare children that there are no "girl toys" or "boy toys".....

just "kids toys"
                            This! I also agree with pp's that said playing with a doll for a boy may help him to be a more nurturing father and man. I think pretend play is very important!

Comment

Originally posted by TGT09 View Post
                              This! I also agree with pp's that said playing with a doll for a boy may help him to be a more nurturing father and man. I think pretend play is very important!
                              Absolutely!! We don't have "boy" and "girl" toys either. The boys play with the scarves, boas, princess shoes, play silks and kitchen as much as the girls and the girls play with the matchbox cars, pretend tools and construction equipment as much as the boys::.

Comment

Working...
                              X