Spit-up vs. Vomiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spit-up vs. Vomiting

When younger children get ill, how do I determine if it is spit-up or the child is sick ? The age range I am asking about is 6-12 months . A little guy spewed something today, obviously milk, but I couldn't tell if it was from him being ill, or just baby spit up. It only happened once with him today, but there have been times others have done it after every bottle. We call mom if it happens a few times, but we just let her know that baby is not keeping food down. Any suggestions ?

Originally posted by se7en View Post
    When younger children get ill, how do I determine if it is spit-up or the child is sick ? The age range I am asking about is 6-12 months . A little guy spewed something today, obviously milk, but I couldn't tell if it was from him being ill, or just baby spit up. It only happened once with him today, but there have been times others have done it after every bottle. We call mom if it happens a few times, but we just let her know that baby is not keeping food down. Any suggestions ?
    Typically if its spit up, they have a history of it and its not a rare occurrence.

If I have a baby here and there is no history of reflux, thn it would be questionable. But USUALLY, and it's hard to describe, the amount is usually different and the mechanism with which is comes out is different. Vomiting is generally more forceful in nature and generally more as far as amount and generally doesn't happen with a burp.

But regardless, if its not known reflux and by that age you should know, then I'd call for pick up on the first occurrence.

Here is some good info to tell the difference.

Because many childhood illnesses can cause vomiting, you should expect your child to have this problem several times during the early years. Usually it ends quickly without treatment.

If the child is under four months and its projectile in nature, it COULD be a sign of something much more dangerous than a virus or reflux. Something such as pyloric stenosis which is serious.

Comment

Thanks for that info. I don't want parents to think I am crazy if the baby just regurgitated and I call them Btw, I can`t make decisions about sending children home, only my supervisor can. But I do mention if I think it is serious or not. Usually, with the babies it isn't. When I am with the two year olds, that's another story.

Comment

Working...
      X