Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Is It So Hard To Remember To Pay Me???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Is It So Hard To Remember To Pay Me???

I'm so annoyed when parents forget to bring a check on Fridays!! I try to help them remember by emailing weekly statements. Don't get me wrong, I've had parents that have been really good at always bringing a check, but then there are those that can't seem to ever remember... so then they end up paying me on Monday (if they remember!).

I know I'm too nice.. I just feel weird saying "Umm.. did you bring a check?" How do you handle late payments? Am I the only one who feels uncomfortable with this??

When they hand you a check late, hand it back & say, "Oh you must have forgot your late fee." Just stand there & smile. If they argue about you not charging in the past say, "Too many people are taking advantage of my good nature, I'm sure you understand." Don't forget to smile again. It really works!!

Comment

Yes, I feel very uncomfortable asking for my check. But the point is, I shouldn't have to. It's owed to me.

But I do it anyway.

I'd rather be awkward and paid than nice and broke.

Comment

You need to make it costly and inconvenient for them to pay late. If you don't, then they will continue. It sucks to have to be the "mean" one but you will only have to do it once.

Comment

Had a parent txt me earlier today:

"Whoops, forgot to give (dcd) the check!" (Dcd was dropping off)

I txted back:

"Whoops, forgot to answer the door."

Silence....then......

"Dcd will bring a check."

Thought so. :-)

Comment

Oh, I charge 10 dollars a day for everyday payment is late. The only time I wave it is if there is some sort of emergency.

Comment

Originally posted by Trummynme View Post

I txted back:

Silence....then......

:: :: ::

You are cracking me up this morning!

Comment

I txted back:

Silence....then......

Love it!

Comment

Originally posted by LeslieG View Post
                  I'm so annoyed when parents forget to bring a check on Fridays!! I try to help them remember by emailing weekly statements. Don't get me wrong, I've had parents that have been really good at always bringing a check, but then there are those that can't seem to ever remember... so then they end up paying me on Monday (if they remember!).

I know I'm too nice.. I just feel weird saying "Umm.. did you bring a check?" How do you handle late payments? Am I the only one who feels uncomfortable with this??
                  It can definitely be uncomfortable but here is how I handle that situation;

DCP: "Ugh, I forgot my checkbook. Can I just pay you on Monday?"

Me: "Sure! No problem, but please remember to add $30 to your balance to cover the late fee. It will also be due AT drop off or I won't be able to care for Jimmy that day. Thanks."

What usually happens...

DCP "Oh..well I can run home and grab it so I will bring you a check at pick up"

If that doesn't happen, I simply make up another invoice for the with the late fees added and present it upon pick up. I also copy the section of my handbook that states late fess multiply with each occurrence and that termination will occur after 3 late payments.

Usually puts a stop to any late payments.

I haven't had a late payment in several years now.

Comment

I txted back:

Silence....then......

Haha!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                      It can definitely be uncomfortable but here is how I handle that situation;

DCP: "Ugh, I forgot my checkbook. Can I just pay you on Monday?"

Me: "Sure! No problem, but please remember to add $30 to your balance to cover the late fee. It will also be due AT drop off or I won't be able to care for Jimmy that day. Thanks."

What usually happens...

DCP "Oh..well I can run home and grab it so I will bring you a check at pick up"

If that doesn't happen, I simply make up another invoice for the with the late fees added and present it upon pick up. I also copy the section of my handbook that states late fess multiply with each occurrence and that termination will occur after 3 late payments.

Usually puts a stop to any late payments.

I haven't had a late payment in several years now.
                      I love that! I have parents ask me if they can just bring it Monday all the time!! Thanks for your advice!

Comment

I have one that said she ran out of checks, so she couldn't pay until her checks came in. I told her cash would be fine, and she was irritated. She did go get the cash though.
                        Fast forward about 4 months and we still do the same song and dance every Friday. The checks have mysteriously never come in, she forgot her debit card, forgot to stop by the bank, forgot it was Friday,...each week she is told Monday will be fine, just add $20 for late fees and she huffs off and returns with the money.
                        Craziness. Thankfully, my other parents are awesome at remembering and paying on time!

Comment

Originally posted by jenn View Post
                          I have one that said she ran out of checks, so she couldn't pay until her checks came in. I told her cash would be fine, and she was irritated. She did go get the cash though.
                          Fast forward about 4 months and we still do the same song and dance every Friday. The checks have mysteriously never come in, she forgot her debit card, forgot to stop by the bank, forgot it was Friday,...each week she is told Monday will be fine, just add $20 for late fees and she huffs off and returns with the money.
                          Craziness. Thankfully, my other parents are awesome at remembering and paying on time!
                          First late payment = a late fee
                          Second late payment = double the late fee
                          Third late payment = possible termination

...if you don't want to term, just continue doubling the late fees.

Parents RARELY, if ever, make more than 2 late payments.

Comment

Originally posted by LeslieG View Post

I know right!! Imagine if their boss *forgot* to pay them!

I have hooks in my entrance that have each DCK's name on them. Above each hook there is a little envelope and every Friday morning I place a Bright Pink Sticky Note that says Pay Day on the envelope because I had soooo many DCPS forget to pay all the time. One week no one paid me! I was so mad and too awkward about asking for my money. Getting paid by DCPS is always so weird anyway. They are never quite sure how to hand it to you....it is strange. Just hand me the cash and take your kid...it is not rocket science!

Each DCP is now required to place the pink sticky along with the money inside the envelope at pick up on friday. That way I don't have to say did you bring my money? If the sticky note stays there after they have left on Friday I remove it and place it on a 10$ late fee invoice. I just hand it to them on Monday morning when they arrive.

Sometimes they will see the sticky note and say - Oh no! I forgot my purse, wallet, checkbook, to stop at the bank machine or my husband was supposed to pick up, the money is sitting on the counter....blah blah blah! I just say the envelopes stay hung up until 6h30 PM (I close at 5H15) so you still have time to avoid a late fee

My contract states that there is a max 5 day late charge at 5$ per day and after 5 days childcare will be suspended until payment is received in full along with the 25$ late charge.

The payment envelopes just make my life sooooo much easier. I have only had to hand out late charges twice in 6 months. Before, people just paid me when they felt like it.

Comment

I had this problem with parents ALL. THE. TIME.

Forgetting once, I can see. After that, though...they haven't really forgotten, they're just hoping you won't say anything.

Definitely attach a hefty late fee, no pay no stay, and three strikes, you're out.

Comment

Working...
                              X