Thermometers and Accuracy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermometers and Accuracy

I had a under one yr old this morning whose temp registered 102.8 under the arm and I took it again immediately and it was 101.8. This is a $10.00 digital. It doesn't seem I have seen a reliable thermometer since the mercury ones were still around.

This child was burning up ( I could feel it) raspy, and had other symptoms as well. When parent called me back they said fever only registered 99.2 @ the doctor's office.

So adding a degree mine was registering 103.8 and 102.8. Has anyone else not agreed with the dr office reading? I had someone tell me their kids will register a temp at home but when they get to the Dr. Office....nope normal.

I thought the Dr office thermometer would be very reliable!

Tempanic thermometers do NOT register on my son. 96-97. LOL! Underarm, rectal or forehead all register fine though.

Comment

I did some research, and decided on this one: http://www.target.com/p/exergen-temp...FWQ6QgodaloAkg

The temporal thermometers have apparently been determined to be the most accurate when used properly (you need to swipe in the right place).

Comment

I could write a book on this one! This has happened to me several times. I used an arterial thermometer. I always check the other kids when it indicates a fever in a child. It may not be 100% accurate, but you get an idea as to whether it is a high fever or not.

Isn't it such a miracle that they never have a temp by the time they get to the doctor? Did your client give the child a fever reducer (that's what mine did, to keep her comfortable and then said I was wrong about her fever) since she did not have a fever at the doctor's office!

Arggghhh

Comment

When you take a temp, take a photo of the temp. Text photo to parent.

LOTS of times kids have temps that are miraculously gone by the time the doctor takes it.

Also, this kid sounds like he has more going on than just a fever. I would have sent him home for ALL the reasons you mentioned.

fwiw~ I doubt any medical device (except the ones that costs $$$$'s) are 100% accurate. My DH can take his blood sugar reading with his diabetic meter and get one reading...and take it immediately again and get a totally different reading.

As his diabetic counselor says "Nothing is an exact science".

I have a REALLY expensive thermometer ($600) and even that one gives different readings when taken one after another.

Comment

Also, I really trust this parent! They have kept child home before without even inquiring if child could come.

I really feel child had a high temp. I felt he/she was burning up. I could feel it and child definitely acted ill.

Do you all just trust your thermometer and send home? I don't know how I can fight what the dr office says.?????

Very good idea about checking the other kids and the picture.

This temp would have been over 103 or high 102's. I know these digital thermometers won't budge without a fever.

Thanks!

Comment

I have tried them all! I like the ear ones the best!

I agree with pp take a picture and send it to parents.

Comment

I just took another child's temp under the arm and it only registered 94.7! I know this child had a really high temp. I really think Dr office was wrong!

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                  I have tried them all! I like the ear ones the best!

I agree with pp take a picture and send it to parents.
                  There were also some forehead reading thermometers I remember from previous threads.

Comment

Originally posted by LK5kids View Post
                    I just took another child's temp under the arm and it only registered 94.7! I know this child had a really high temp. I really think Dr office was wrong!
                    I wouldn't stress or worry.

First, even without a temp, the child would have been sent home here and most anywhere if they were acting ill.

Second, as a nurse, I can tell you that dr office scales and Bo cuffs etc are NOT calibrated like they are supposed to be.

Third, I'm pretty sure your temp was accurate you took and yes, it's completely possible both temps were accurate!

Comment

Originally posted by Cradle2crayons View Post
                      I wouldn't stress or worry.

First, even without a temp, the child would have been sent home here and most anywhere if they were acting ill.

Second, as a nurse, I can tell you that dr office scales and Bo cuffs etc are NOT calibrated like they are supposed to be.

Third, I'm pretty sure your temp was accurate you took and yes, it's completely possible both temps were accurate!
                      Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Leigh View Post
                        I did some research, and decided on this one: http://www.target.com/p/exergen-temp...FWQ6QgodaloAkg

The temporal thermometers have apparently been determined to be the most accurate when used properly (you need to swipe in the right place).
                        I have this one and I HATE IT! It's not the thermometor I am sure but, I probably swipe it wrong, I have a hard time keeping it flat on the forehead without jumping, and I can get 3 different readings on the same side at the same time if I do it 3x in a row! I much prefer rectal but, won't use that on a dck.

Comment

Originally posted by Scout View Post
                          I have this one and I HATE IT! It's not the thermometor I am sure but, I probably swipe it wrong, I have a hard time keeping it flat on the forehead without jumping, and I can get 3 different readings on the same side at the same time if I do it 3x in a row! I much prefer rectal but, won't use that on a dck.
                          I love mine! My own kid LOVES it (he thinks it tickles). I checked it against my mercury thermometer, and I think it's quite accurate. After throwing away, literally, dozens of digital thermometers that didn't do the job, I did a LOT of research, and found that these kind are the most accurate ones in an "affordable" price range (based on scientific studies-not user reviews). You DO have to keep it flat and follow the temporal artery (I wonder why yours is jumping-do you use the little covers that come with it? I don't).

Comment

Originally posted by Leigh View Post
                            I love mine! My own kid LOVES it (he thinks it tickles). I checked it against my mercury thermometer, and I think it's quite accurate. After throwing away, literally, dozens of digital thermometers that didn't do the job, I did a LOT of research, and found that these kind are the most accurate ones in an "affordable" price range (based on scientific studies-not user reviews). You DO have to keep it flat and follow the temporal artery (I wonder why yours is jumping-do you use the little covers that come with it? I don't).
                            And also, on the temporal ones, you have to be sure you clean the sensor after each use and keep the plastic cover on between uses.

I also don't use the covers on e temporal. I just clean it between each use. And I've found at mine is EXTREMELY accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by LK5kids View Post
                              Also, I really trust this parent! They have kept child home before without even inquiring if child could come.

I really feel child had a high temp. I felt he/she was burning up. I could feel it and child definitely acted ill.

Do you all just trust your thermometer and send home? I don't know how I can fight what the dr office says.?????

Very good idea about checking the other kids and the picture.

This temp would have been over 103 or high 102's. I know these digital thermometers won't budge without a fever.

Thanks!
                              You did the right thing by what your instrument and child's symptoms dictated. You notified the parent. Maybe you are both right. It is possible the child had a fever when you took it. By the time the child reached the doctor's office it lowered.

It's happened to me and my family plenty of times.

Now it's time to research thermometers!

Comment

Working...
                              X