Cleaning Kids Ears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Kids Ears

What do you guys think? Not asking if you clean DCKs ears but just the topic in general. I have heard that its better to not do it, but I do any way (it just bothers me). And I respect a parents decision to NOT clean their kids ears, but I have one dcb in particular whose parents don't and almost every day there is a huge mass of wax blocking his ear or making its way out. That just seems like it should be taken care of. I know its probably natures way of cleaning it but how much wax is normal? Any one else have thoughts?

Originally posted by Brooksie View Post
    What do you guys think? Not asking if you clean DCKs ears but just the topic in general. I have heard that its better to not do it, but I do any way (it just bothers me). And I respect a parents decision to NOT clean their kids ears, but I have one dcb in particular whose parents don't and almost every day there is a huge mass of wax blocking his ear or making its way out. That just seems like it should be taken care of. I know its probably natures way of cleaning it but how much wax is normal? Any one else have thoughts?
    Waxy ears should be taken care of-a few drops of peroxide after a bath once a week will help loosen things up.

Comment

I think some kids are just waxier (is that even a word? ) than others.

For my own kids, I always used a wash cloth while in the bath tub.

When they got older I taught them how to use a cotton swab.

I know they make ones that are "safety" ones so that you can't stick it in the ear too far.

If the child you have in care actually has wax falling out, I would just suggest to mom that he needs to have it taken care of...however she does it.

I guess I would just handle it matter-of-factly and not think twice about it...

"Say Debbie, I noticed Jack has a lot of wax in his outer ear today. Would you make sure to take care of that before tomorrow? Thanks"

No different that saying Jack has fingernails that need trimming or crusty stuff in his hair...

I'd say it with a smile and even add how hard it can be too keep up with that sort of thing when you are a busy family.

Comment

I clean them, too. I don't want kids digging in their ears and wiping wax about the playroom.

All oozing orifices are to be cleaned appropriately in daycare to prevent exposure of others in close proximity . >>>insert vomiting icon here<<<<

Hmm... interesting Letter O theme just begging to be delved into.... ::::::
        - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

I hate ear wax. *shudder* If I see it I wipe it with a warm washcloth and tell Mom or Dad I needed to do damage control. They know how I feel about it. ::

Comment

Definitely nature's way of cleaning it out, I think it's recommended to just wipe it out once it's out. But definitely something you shouldn't need to do! I agree with either doing it and saying something about it, or just noting it and asking parents to take care of it!

Comment

I am a mom with waxy eared child as I have waxy ears. Mine get clogged every fall because of allergies or colds. I only clean what I can see. I only use peroxide or ear cleaners if our ears are clogged. Anything else or too much cleaning leads to nasty ear infections.

That being said, I think I am more sympathetic so I will clean it if I see wax. While we are washing our hands, face and brushing our teeth before nap, I take a wet napkin and wipe it away.

Comment

Working...
              X