First Bounced Check... UGH!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Bounced Check... UGH!

Someone bounced a check! Ugh! I have it narrowed down to the 3 possible families it could be, but won't know until tomorrow morning when the bank shows it not as pending anymore.

I'm just sick over it. I SUSPECT one person I think it is, and it's an aquantaince/friend who as a favor I allowed to pay no deposit. (I know I know!)

The other 2 possibilities are some newer clients that have been with me about a month and the other 2 weeks but both seem like it wouldn't be them.

Problem is, I wish I knew who it was now so I could refuse service tomorrow, but I don't know for sure until only a few minutes before or after kids start arriving.

Grr.....

Originally posted by EchoMom View Post
    Someone bounced a check! Ugh! I have it narrowed down to the 3 possible families it could be, but won't know until tomorrow morning when the bank shows it not as pending anymore.

I'm just sick over it. I SUSPECT one person I think it is, and it's an aquantaince/friend who as a favor I allowed to pay no deposit. (I know I know!)

The other 2 possibilities are some newer clients that have been with me about a month and the other 2 weeks but both seem like it wouldn't be them.

Problem is, I wish I knew who it was now so I could refuse service tomorrow, but I don't know for sure until only a few minutes before or after kids start arriving.

Grr.....
    Wow... Sorry that happened to you.... Reminds me why I don't accept anything other than cash... Except my childcare subsidy which was direct deposit and now is a physical check.

If it were me, as soon as I found out in the am, I would notify the parent immediately and tell them the amount of the check + insufficient funds fee + late fee (because payment is now late) is due within one hour or they need to pick up their child until its paid.

Comment

Wait really? Is this what others would do? My contract says and I was thinking they would need to pay the weekly rate that bounced plus a $35 fee as stated in contract. But do I also charge a late fee???? 10 per day would add an additional 50. Doesn't that seem over the top?

Comment

Wait really? Is this what others would do? My contract says and I was thinking they would need to pay the weekly rate that bounced plus a $35 fee as stated in contract. But do I also charge a late fee???? 10 per day would add an additional 50. Doesn't that seem over the top?
        I do that because that check is supposed to be good on e day it is paid.. So since you still don't have your payment that I assume was due Monday, en yes, payment is late.

Of course, you have to follow your contract.

Since yr contract only says face value plus bounced check fee, then that's what you would charge. My policy and contract is different. That's why I said that's what I would do

Comment

My contract says $35 bounced check fee plus any bank fees I incur as a result. I also have a late fee but the two fees are not listed as one. Never had this problem before but what you'resayingmakes total sense since you're right I was suppose to be paid Monday and still am not. But I wonder if that would be such a hefty fee I'd lose an otherwise good client or friend depending on who it turns out did it.

What do others do?

Comment

My contract says $35 bounced check fee plus any bank fees I incur as a result. I also have a late fee but the two fees are not listed as one. Never had this problem before but what you'resayingmakes total sense since you're right I was suppose to be paid Monday and still am not. But I wonder if that would be such a hefty fee I'd lose an otherwise good client or friend depending on who it turns out did it.

What do others do?
            I'm not sure but bare minimum I'd refuse care until they paid the check and the $35 bounced check fee. And then let them know next time ere will be a late fee also.

Comment

I figure that a bounced check is an accident, and I don't charge a late fee for it. I DO, however, charge a $40 returned check fee, and if there is a 2nd bounced check within 6 months, I will only accept cash from that family. I would deal with this on a case by case basis. I would just tell the family that their check bounced, and payment is due in cash by pickup time, along with my $40 returned check fee. If payment is not received by then, THAT is when I would start to impose a late fee. Perhaps this would work better for you, since you seem resistant to charging a late fee from the date the check was written?

Comment

Ugh... The bounced check is viewable in my online banking now. The bad check belongs to................................ my friend/acquantaince. Grrr.....

Comment

Ugh... The bounced check is viewable in my online banking now. The bad check belongs to................................ my friend/acquantaince. Grrr.....
                  Ahhhhhhhhhhh

Comment

I charge $15 fee for bouncing plus bank fees. If it happens more than once or it's not someone that I think it won't happen again then it's cash for now on. I've had 4 clients bounce checks in the last 5 years.

Comment

What do others do?
                      I charge a $35 fee, plus late fees and they can only bounce one check ever, and cash from then on. It's happened to me a few times.

Comment

Originally posted by daycarediva View Post
                        I charge a $35 fee, plus late fees and they can only bounce one check ever, and cash from then on. It's happened to me a few times.
                        see I'm not crazy .

The way I see it... Is if I bounce a check to pay my light bill.... I'm responsible for the check, the bounce, and a late fee because my bill wasn't paid on time.

Comment

Originally posted by Leigh View Post
                          I figure that a bounced check is an accident, and I don't charge a late fee for it. I DO, however, charge a $40 returned check fee, and if there is a 2nd bounced check within 6 months, I will only accept cash from that family.
                          This is what I typically do. What always bothers me the most though is that with online access to bank accounts, most people know that their check bounced before we do. Yet no on ever comes to us to say oops I bounced a check. They wait for us to come to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Leigh View Post
                            I figure that a bounced check is an accident, and I don't charge a late fee for it. I DO, however, charge a $40 returned check fee, and if there is a 2nd bounced check within 6 months, I will only accept cash from that family. I would deal with this on a case by case basis. I would just tell the family that their check bounced, and payment is due in cash by pickup time, along with my $40 returned check fee. If payment is not received by then, THAT is when I would start to impose a late fee. Perhaps this would work better for you, since you seem resistant to charging a late fee from the date the check was written?
                            This is what I do as well, but in nine years I've had one bounced check and it was actually *my* fault - mom had given me a check before they went on vacation and mom asked me not to cash it until the due date as there was no money in the account. I agreed to it (great family with great history)I forgot to put a note on it, DH saw it in the cash drawer and added it to the weekly checks Soooo it bounced

Comment

I don't know the family, but I don't think they would intentionally bounce a check...I mean they need daycare don't they? I would charge them a fee for the bounced check (whatever the bank charges) but not a late fee. It is also in my contract that all payments must be made in cash after any bounced checks.
                              Good luck...I know it can be awkward to discuss these topics with DCF's!

Comment

Working...
                              X