Best Surface For Under 5' Dome Climber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Surface For Under 5' Dome Climber

I have searched the Internet and this forum for the best surface but haven't found one. I have thought about pea gravel but would like something more mobile. Such as a mat or whatnot but havent come across any such item. Any suggestions?

Oh no! You do have to have ground cover!!
    Most popular here is sand or mulch. Rubber mats or rubber mulch are very expensive!

Comment

According to licensor we do not need ground cover. But I couldn't imagine not having it for saftey reasons. The daycare we bought it from also didnt have any ground cover underneath it.

Comment

I would throw mulch under it. The dome itself will keep most of it in, or you could dig down 2-3 in and put in the mulch. If you can't/ or don't want to dig down, sand does pretty well, but it will get hard if you don't stir it up every 6 months or so.

Comment

You want something that will not compact. Also look at how many inches you need for that product.

I had pea gravel that worked great Except with in 4 feet of the sand box. it would get compacted and I would have to go out with a shovel 2or 3x a year and dig down to loosen it. Sand is not great if it gets wet it compacts and is hard as rock. It also holds water longer than other things.

I think my pea gravel needed to be 8 inches think to be effective.

I got a grant and got rubber mulch I think it only had to be 3 or 4 inches thick. I love it but it is expensive. I have heard of using the mats for horse stalls but I have no idea on the protection those provide.
          It:: will wait

Comment

Google fall height- I am sure you will find how much you need per height.
            I have to have ground cover for a teeter totter...

Comment

mulch. its softer if the kids fall compared to pea stones.

Comment

Originally posted by countrymom View Post
                mulch. its softer if the kids fall compared to pea stones.
                as the wood mulch starts to decompose it packs down hard. plus it attracts termites so do not use close to the house. the pea gravel we have is round and from the river it does not seem to compact unless you get dirt or sand in it then it get like concrete.
                It:: will wait

Comment

We dug down 9 inches and put in 6 inches of pea gravel around our playset. We put edging around it and it works really well.

Comment

Working...
                  X