Ever Thought About Retirement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever Thought About Retirement?

After reading the thread "Question From a DCM" where the poster mentions she trusted the 60yr old provider, cause older equals more experience, I started thinking:is there an age where a daycare provider should retire? How old would most parents think is too old to run a Daycare?

I just want to clear that: no I don't think 60yrs is too old, I see teens moving slower::

Comment

I think that when you can no longer lift a child into the pnp, or sit in the floor, or get up from the floor or run a race with a 3 year old, or beat the toddler to the play dough he is intent on putting in his mouth, it might be time to retire.

Seriously, there comes a time when the joints make the basics of dc difficult or impossible, even if the brain and desire are there.

Edited to add: I'm 60. I think about retirement every day about 4:30.
      Last edited by Sunchimes; 09-22-2013, 06:52 PM. Reason: add something

Comment

well at 50 my joints did not work well enough to run with the kids... but the miracle Of TWO total knee replacements and you can't stop me now. Grandma volunteered until she was 91 in a center for children with special needs. she rocked fussy babies and got down on the floor to help little ones learn to crawl. I hope I can retire by 67 then I can volunteer also
        It:: will wait

Comment

Originally posted by Maria2013 View Post
          After reading the thread "Question From a DCM" where the poster mentions she trusted the 60yr old provider, cause older equals more experience, I started thinking:is there an age where a daycare provider should retire? How old would most parents think is too old to run a Daycare?
          Hmmm, I am 61 and I think it depends on how you are physically. I have chosen to take less children. I used to take 6 and now I take 3 even though I am in good physical shape for my age. I just like the slower easier pace. It makes the job more enjoyable.

That said, I think about retirement and consider myself semi retired. I just can't decide if I want to be fully retired. I would probably do volunteer work because just doing 'nothing' seems too boring. I kind of feel like there would be a lack of purpose in my life. I think I could find another purpose but right now I'm in the 'iffy' column with retirement. Plus doesn't that mean you are really old? ::

It is weird that you started this thread because just this morning I said to my husband "I wonder what it would be like to retire."

Laurel

Comment

Originally posted by itlw8 View Post
            well at 50 my joints did not work well enough to run with the kids... but the miracle OR TWO total knee replacements and you can't stop me now. Grandma volunteered until she was 91 in a center for children with special needs. she rocked fussy babies and got down on the floor to help little ones learn to crawl. I hope I can retire by 67 then I can volunteer also
            When I worked in a preschool many years ago the director hired a lady in her 70's part time. When she was younger she used to run her own school. Everyone loved her. She brought a whole new perspective to things and had a ton of experience to share and some very cool ideas.

Laurel

Comment

Originally posted by Maria2013 View Post
              When parents come for an interview I sometimes mention that I have grandchildren and if I forget they find out pretty quickly as now I have one of them in my daycare and most years had my other one. Not one has ever asked my age. Of course, some could have not signed up because of it but I never got any weird age vibes at an interview.

Laurel

Comment

thank you all for your thoughts,
                I myself plan on doing this until my body tells me I can no longer provide proper care
                ....I was just wondering since some parents discriminate against "too young", do they also discriminate against "too old", and what they would consider to be too old.

Comment

I would like to retire now. I'm 38.::

I don't think there is an age limit, but more an ability limit. When my mind and body can no longer do the things I need to do in order to provide quality care, I will retire.

In my neighborhood, we have daycare that is run by a woman in her late 60's. She has some back problems, so she hired an assistant that helps with some of the things that have become difficult for her to do.

Comment

YES! While I love what I do, this job can be so physically demanding. I do see a time later on when I go out to work. I have no desire to be in my late 50's and 60's lifting, holding, floor sitting, etc. NOT saying that 50's and 60's are old!!!:: just saying I can already see where it would get tough on me physically. It's on of the reasons I charge what I do and do not offer much in the way of breaks or discounts. When the time comes I want to be able to retire.
                    I could totally see myself working part time at the library or in our local school districts offices

Comment

I am 57 and think about retiring on a daily basis. Can't though because I have to pay the bills, DH was forced into retiring in 2008 at 54 and cannot find work. Currently I am low on enrollment, the lowest I have been in 40 years, but I am not getting any calls so I do not think it is because of my age.
                      I see little people.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunchimes View Post
                        I think that when you can no longer lift a child into the pnp, or sit in the floor, or get up from the floor or run a race with a 3 year old, or beat the toddler to the play dough he is intent on putting in his mouth, it might be time to retire.

Seriously, there comes a time when the joints make the basics of dc difficult or impossible, even if the brain and desire are there.

Edited to add: I'm 60. I think about retirement every day about 4:30.
                        ::

Laurel

Comment

Speaking of joints, daycare helped mine. In 2009, (before dc) we were re-flooring our huge wrap-around porch. I stepped up and down on that porch carrying one end of many sheets of plywood. After a few days, my knees hurt. I'm a "soldier through" kind of person, so I finished the job and limped around for a few weeks. One day, the knee popped and acres of pain shot through. I was in a wheelchair for a month, and had to use it for work and shopping for another month. It never did get back to normal. I looked like an elephant (clumsy, not size!) getting in the floor to play with my great-grandson, and getting up wasn't any prettier.

Fast forward to losing my business and starting daycare in Feb, 2011. I had one 6 month old. After a few weeks of lumbering up and down, I noticed that it was getting easier. Within a couple of months, I was getting up like a perfectly normal person. My knees haven't hurt in 2 years. I think daycare sort of acted like physical therapy.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunchimes View Post
                            Speaking of joints, daycare helped mine. In 2009, (before dc) we were re-flooring our huge wrap-around porch. I stepped up and down on that porch carrying one end of many sheets of plywood. After a few days, my knees hurt. I'm a "soldier through" kind of person, so I finished the job and limped around for a few weeks. One day, the knee popped and acres of pain shot through. I was in a wheelchair for a month, and had to use it for work and shopping for another month. It never did get back to normal. I looked like an elephant (clumsy, not size!) getting in the floor to play with my great-grandson, and getting up wasn't any prettier.

Fast forward to losing my business and starting daycare in Feb, 2011. I had one 6 month old. After a few weeks of lumbering up and down, I noticed that it was getting easier. Within a couple of months, I was getting up like a perfectly normal person. My knees haven't hurt in 2 years. I think daycare sort of acted like physical therapy.
                            That is really interesting.

I take a walk every morning and sometimes have pain on the tops of my feet. I keep on walking even kind of limping for a little while sometimes. Then, like you, I notice it is okay again and I can walk normally. I think the painful part gets stretched out or warmed up or something. I dunno but I also think the movement is kind of like physical therapy.

Omg, is this going to turn into a "My aches and pains" for the old folks thread? ::

I remember when I was a teenager hearing my grandmother and her friends talking about their aches and pains knowing that that is when I would know I was old. When I had aches and pains to talk about.

Laurel

Comment

Originally posted by jenn View Post

In my neighborhood, we have daycare that is run by a woman in her late 60's. She has some back problems, so she hired an assistant that helps with some of the things that have become difficult for her to do.
                              Hard to say what I will be capable of in my late 60s, I hope I'll hold together like that lady

Comment

Working...
                              X