Could DCB be Autistic or OCD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could DCB be Autistic or OCD?

I have a 3 year old dcb who I have noticed has a lot of seemingly unusual "quirks". His mom has also mentioned some things to me and has on many occasions, wondered out loud if he could be autistic. Some examples are: gets upset if he has to wear anything on his head, gets upset if he has to wear a name tag (sticker or on a string around his neck), needs his blankets perfectly laid out over him at nap time, will not wear shorts forward if they have an emblem on the front that he can see, etc. He also has a hard time focusing and following along at structured times. He cannot identify letters or numbers, although I wonder if that is just because nobody before me has ever worked on these things with him. His parents have already decided to hold him back from entering kindergarten at 5 (he has a summer birthday).

Thoughts?

maybe, but some of the things you write make me wonder if he as a sensory processing issue.

Comment

its not your job to figure out what is wrong. the only thing I would do is make sure parents have info to early intervention programs. Waiting a year for schooling isnt in the best interest of every child. Sometimes it is better to get them into a specialized program NOW, so they are more prepared for kinder. time does not fix issues when it really is a special needs issue. they need to be with caregivers that are trained to address the issues.

Comment

I agree with cheerfuldom - I'd ask mom if she's thought of bringing this to the attention of his pediatrician and taking him to early intervention for an assessment. If it's something she is wondering aloud - to you - she may just need a push to go and check it out.

Comment

Working...
        X