Newborns - Questions to Ask at Interviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newborns - Questions to Ask at Interviews

What questions should I ask this potential client about her newborn?

My questions so far:

Are you planning to breastfeed?
    Will you be pumping or supplementing with formula?
    When will you introduce bottle if nursing?
    Diapering - cloth or disposable?
    Where will your baby sleep when at home?
    Do you plan on using baby wise or any other form of sleep training?

For providers: Do you charge more for newborns or under 18 months? I am thinking I should but, on my website I do not list a different price for infants. I am pretty sure she has looked at my site so not sure how to navigate around that if I do ask for more.

Right now a newborn would work well I think. I have only two full time kiddos and four part-time. So the baby could slid in easily I hope!

Originally posted by Lil Monkey View Post
    What questions should I ask this potential client about her newborn?

My questions so far:

Are you planning to breastfeed?
    Will you be pumping or supplementing with formula?
    When will you introduce bottle if nursing?
    Diapering - cloth or disposable?
    Where will your baby sleep when at home?
    Do you plan on using baby wise or any other form of sleep training?

For providers: Do you charge more for newborns or under 18 months? I am thinking I should but, on my website I do not list a different price for infants. I am pretty sure she has looked at my site so not sure how to navigate around that if I do ask for more.

Right now a newborn would work well I think. I have only two full time kiddos and four part-time. So the baby could slid in easily I hope!
    How about if/when they use a pacifier?

Comment

Ah yes good!

Comment

I don't charge more for infants - probably should, but I don't want to take the pay cut when they grow up....

Infant daycare is very hard to find here, so I'm sure people would pay more for it.

I don't really ask a lot of questions of new borns. I more tell them how I do things. If they don't like it, they can keep looking. I prefer older kids - can you tell? ::

Comment

During the interview process (usually pre-birth) I generally ask them "What are your parenting goals and how do you feel full time childcare fits into them?". I listen and take notes. I then ask for clarification as needed. (some parents have not discussed it before, so it is really interesting to watch the dynamics between them as they talk it through)

I have learned that if I lead the conversation I will only be screening for *known* red flags... *New ones pop up every couple of years.

After that I do a brief tour, give them a copy of the contract (if I feel we are a match) and set a deadline for enrollment (usually 48 hours without a holding fee).

The details of care expectations are included in the written paperwork after enrollment.

No, I do not charge based on age. I have a set rate per slot because age does not effect my total ratio.
          - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Originally posted by butterfly View Post
            I don't charge more for infants - probably should, but I don't want to take the pay cut when they grow up....

Infant daycare is very hard to find here, so I'm sure people would pay more for it.

I don't really ask a lot of questions of new borns. I more tell them how I do things. If they don't like it, they can keep looking. I prefer older kids - can you tell? ::

It's nearly impossible to find here, too, and I don't like taking newborns. I am seriously considering a huge rate increase for newborns.

Comment

Originally posted by butterfly View Post

I don't really ask a lot of questions of new borns. I more tell them how I do things. If they don't like it, they can keep looking.
              that's me too

Comment

Working...
              X