Very Part Time Inquiry: What to Charge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very Part Time Inquiry: What to Charge

Just got a message from someone looking for child care for their 2 year old (a very hard spot to fill) for part time care. Like VERY part time. Its only 3 days a week from 3:30-5:15. My part time charge for kids over 2 is $30.00 per day and $125.00 FT per week. But I don't know if I should charge her for the whole day for just 6 hours a week. What would you guys do? I'm looking at it as more income and more word of mouth. I still have 3 openings so it's not like it would be a horrible inconvenience of her taking up a spot. Any thoughts?

I'd do hourly. Maybe $7/hour... a flat rate of $14 for that time frame.

Comment

I had something similar once. I did half of my part time rate per day which in your case would be $15 per day. I just told her that anything 4 hours or under was half my daily rate.

I guess you could charge her hourly also.

Laurel

I think I was posting at the same time as preschool teacher. We both said almost the same amount.

Comment

I would do an hourly charge with the understanding that should you fill all your spots, you will give the option of her paying/taking the full days or be replaced.

Comment

I do a $15 per day minimum, that way, a couple of hours is still worth my time, and the parents don't feel gouged for 2 hours of care.

Comment

Just repeating what others have said. I think $15.00 per day would be fair.

Comment

Originally posted by Leigh View Post
              I do a $15 per day minimum, that way, a couple of hours is still worth my time, and the parents don't feel gouged for 2 hours of care.
              I like that! I have a 3 day minimum for part timers for all day. I've only ever had one who needed less than a full day but it never occurred to me to do that. I will keep that in mind for the future.

Laurel

Comment

I agree with PP. $15 sounds fair. Hopefully you have someone who leaves by 3:30 so thus child is taking their spot

Comment

Originally posted by Brooksie View Post
                  Just got a message from someone looking for child care for their 2 year old (a very hard spot to fill) for part time care. Like VERY part time. Its only 3 days a week from 3:30-5:15. My part time charge for kids over 2 is $30.00 per day and $125.00 FT per week. But I don't know if I should charge her for the whole day for just 6 hours a week. What would you guys do? I'm looking at it as more income and more word of mouth. I still have 3 openings so it's not like it would be a horrible inconvenience of her taking up a spot. Any thoughts?
                  Just curious as to why providers always feel they need to adjust their rates for parents in unique situations? Shouldn't the parent adjust their needs to make it work? Or maybe just pay what they have to if they require an odd schedule.

If you have a part time or drop in rate, then charge it. HER situation is HERS. If she is looking for childcare but has a unique and/or odd situation then let her be the one that has to make do because of it....kwim?

Personally I allow half days (3/4 of my daily rate) but the half days cannot include lunch and/or rest time. The rate is MUCH higher but part time or drop in kids are harder to deal with so I feel it's more than fair.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                    Just curious as to why providers always feel they need to adjust their rates for parents in unique situations? Shouldn't the parent adjust their needs to make it work? Or maybe just pay what they have to if they require an odd schedule.

If you have a part time or drop in rate, then charge it. HER situation is HERS. If she is looking for childcare but has a unique and/or odd situation then let her be the one that has to make do because of it....kwim?

Personally I allow half days (3/4 of my daily rate) but the half days cannot include lunch and/or rest time. The rate is MUCH higher but part time or drop in kids are harder to deal with so I feel it's more than fair.

I was going to say, I would charge my drop in rate, which is $13/hour since I basically am "Babysitting" that child, and you can't get a baby sitter around here for less than $15/hour.

IMHO I work harder for kids who are that part time, b/c they are harder to adjust in, it's a weird time of day where kids here are sometimes still asleep, and I am sometimes still on the couch ::. I also don't really get the love from a VERY part time kid that I get from a full time kid YKWIM?

Comment

Working...
                    X