Chair Help - Need Some Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chair Help - Need Some Ideas

My new DCB 24m just will not sit at the table and stay there. He gets up everything something falls, take others plates, etc. I'm there but if my back is turned for a second he is off. I also haven't been able to do anything with my 4's. I'd like to strap him in at the table with a few toys while I work with them in small groups.

I only have kids tables and chairs. I bought a booster and it made the chair too tall so he can't sit under the table. I have a few smaller chairs from a smaller table but the chair wasn't wide enough to hold the booster. I don't want a high chair. I advertise as preschool focus so I don't want high chairs.

Any ideas? Do they make just straps?

I found something like this:

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

I bet you could even use a long scarf and wrap it around him in a similar fashion until he learns to stay put.

or maybe even something like this:

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
      I found something like this:

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

I bet you could even use a long scarf and wrap it around him in a similar fashion until he learns to stay put.

or maybe even something like this:

The first pic reminds me of a post/thread that was on here once.
      A mom said she went to dc to pick up her child and they had a scarf wrapped around the child's waist so that he would stay in the chair to eat and the mom was kind of mad and wondered if it was normal or something like that. Do you remember that one? It just looks so funny to me! ::

Comment

http://www.communityplaythings.com/products/chairs/listing/mealtime-chairs?guid={8F2010FF-542F-48CA-A59B-1FC2F39E982C}

Pretty pricey, though. Is there a way you could make a t-strap kind of buckle and attach it to the chair with screws? Maybe something borrowed from a booster or an old stroller. The fabric store may have something, too.
        Last edited by Michael; 09-12-2013, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by melilley View Post
          The first pic reminds me of a post/thread that was on here once.
          A mom said she went to dc to pick up her child and they had a scarf wrapped around the child's waist so that he would stay in the chair to eat and the mom was kind of mad and wondered if it was normal or something like that. Do you remember that one? It just looks so funny to me! ::
          I do remember that one....the mom was royally PO'ed!! She thought her kid was being physically restrained as if he was out of control....after a few comments/questions it came to light that the child was simply strapped into the chair with SAFETY straps... ::

Comment

I'd treat it like everything else.

If he can't sit at the table like a big kid he goes back to the high chair like the little kids.

Not everything is awarded based on age... privileges are earned by behavior.
            - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

this http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/pro...=1379012670252 is the transition chair I use first with a tray then with straps at the table. then without straps. but only at meals. It would be wrong to strap him in a chair while working with the 4 yr olds. very wrong. not that table just the chair.
              It:: will wait

Comment

For me, I would also use a high chair if it was this extreme. Maybe it would only take a short while until he could transition out of it. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by itlw8 View Post
                  this http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/pro...=1379012670252 is the transition chair I use first with a tray then with straps at the table. then without straps. but only at meals. It would be wrong to strap him in a chair while working with the 4 yr olds. very wrong. not that table just the chair.
                  Why would strapping a child to a chair (for safety purposes) so the child can play with toys while she works with 4 yr olds be wrong?

I place my toddlers in a room with a gate so they are "confined" (for safety reasons) in one area while working with my preschoolers.

I see nothing wring with that. The only time it would be wrong in my opinion is if the child had no toys/food and was left there for long periods of time.

Comment

Why would strapping a child to a chair (for safety purposes) so the child can play with toys while she works with 4 yr olds be wrong?

I place my toddlers in a room with a gate so they are "confined" (for safety reasons) in one area while working with my preschoolers.

I see nothing wring with that. The only time it would be wrong in my opinion is if the child had no toys/food and was left there for long periods of time.
                    It is a new state thing.

A local provider was recently *nailed* for it.

The only legal way, here, to strap a kid into a chair is in an approved highchair during *posted* meal times. (people were keeping kids restrained for long periods and tossing a couple cheerios to them every 20 minutes or so to call it a "meal"...)

Part of that "restraint equipment" addendum I told you about last year.
                    - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Herder View Post
                      It is a new state thing.

A local provider was recently *nailed* for it.

The only legal way, here, to strap a kid into a chair is in an approved highchair during *posted* meal times, only. (people were keeping kids restrained for long periods and tossing a couple cheerios to them every 20 minutes or so to call it a "meal"...)

Part of that "restraint equipment" addendum I told you about last year.
                      ..... really?

.....pretty soon supervision will be something we are fined for....you know constant eye contact and being within a provider's direct line of vision will be considered an invasion of one's privacy....

Comment

The environment should be safe for the children enrolled at all times. If a child can not safely play then change the environment or get rid of toddlers. 1st why does the 2 yr old not get to participate in the activities? a gate to keep toddlers away from small items is far different than keeping a 2 yr old restrained in a chair while other children participate in an activity.

a room gives a child safe choices a chair is confinement.
                        It:: will wait

Comment

..... really?

.....pretty soon supervision will be something we are fined for....you know constant eye contact and being within a provider's direct line of vision will be considered an invasion of one's privacy....
                          Well, direct eye contact can be threatening, ya know???

Ask a Cat

Comment

The environment should be safe for the children enrolled at all times. If a child can not safely play then change the environment or get rid of toddlers. 1st why does the 2 yr old get to participate in the activities? a gate to keep toddlers away from small items is far different than keeping a 2 yr old restrained in a chair while other children participate in an activity.

I don't agree. While I would never encourage someone to set a toddler in a chair for hours and throw cheerios their way in the name of confinement, I don't think there is any harm in a 2 year old sitting near the group, with toys to choose from, for a short period. If there is any part of the activity said toddler can participate in, they could be encouraged to do that.

I see kids running around restaurants, throwing food, screaming, and being walked out because of it. Parents who can't take 2 children to a restaurant and enjoy a meal. It's ridiculous that these kiddos are being taught that the world revolves around them every second. Patience is a skill they need to learn.

All my own children sat in a high chair in a restaurant occasionally, and they were given a few toys or crayons. They were expected to sit quietly, and be respectful of other patrons. When we were little, acting up while at the dinner table (at home or in public) would have gotten us a spanking. I'm not advocating that; but a few minutes of sitting in a chair with a few activities is not such a horrible thing to me.

Comment

The environment should be safe for the children enrolled at all times. If a child can not safely play then change the environment or get rid of toddlers. 1st why does the 2 yr old get to participate in the activities? a gate to keep toddlers away from small items is far different than keeping a 2 yr old restrained in a chair while other children participate in an activity.

Because EVERYTHING goes in his mouth! he eats crayons, puts marker caps in his mouth, trys to eat my carpet, etc. He does all the activies we do at art, circle time, etc. I am next to him watching like a hawk, redirecting. I follow him around most of the time outside if we aren't all together since I have a rock and sand area. I only asked besides meal times for 10 minutes a day so I can do do some extra preschool time like cutting, writing with the 4 year olds getting them ready for kindergaren. If he happens to be playing okay I'd leave him be but if he isn't I'd like to put him at the table. I am feeling right now they are being neglected because of this new kid. He is new and will learn but I think it will be slow. I do want him straped for meals because he gets out of his seat everytime he drops something, if I can't get over there in time he picks it up and puts it on other kids plates next to him. I get nap mats out during lunch (in same room a few feet away) or I'm getting more food for someone so my back is turned. He can safely play but he also like to hit kids with toys, take toys away constantly, etc. I continue getting up and the 4y olds get annoyed that I have to keep leaving. I have a wide open space so a gated area isn't going to work and he'd just climb over one of those octagon gate things. He is 24 months and will get better, it was just until he continues to learn how to play and keep toys out of his mouth.

Comment

Working...
                              X