Natural Playscapes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lil Monkey View Post
    I love the natural playscape idea. So here is my question. We are going to cut up and sand etc a bunch of 2x4's this weekend to use for outdoor building blocks and cut some logs in half etc. I am waiting however for the licensing lady to swoop in and declare them dangerous. She has made off hand remarks about the size of our wooden sandbox, and our wooden climbing structure. We also thought about adding a rock for climbing (2 ft high) but I told DH that I was sure that would be a no no. Has anyone had issues with natural playscapes and licensing? Or am I overthinking this?
    I can't imagine there being a problem with the blocks unless they were heavy and could fall on a child?

Why does she even comment on your sandbox? Is it too big? Too small? To my knowledge there is nothing in our regs that says anything about sandboxes. As far as outdoor equipment, the biggest thing is having proper ground cover in fall zones. The rock would probably be fine as long as you have proper ground cover underneath.

I literally only had a small plastic sandbox and a mini Little Tikes slide when I first became licensed. That's it My licensor was totally ok with it

Comment

Our sandbox is HUGE. Its 32ft long x 24 ft wide. Sand was cheaper and more forgiving on bare feet then mulch so that is what we went with. She comments that it must take hours to clean it each morning as she is sure stray cats use it for a litter box. In reality it takes me about 20 minutes to rake daily. I have found poo in it once in the last 5 months.

I will have DH add the rock then. We have 8 inches of sand in the box. I am sure some places are less then others now. But, where I am thinking they should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by craftymissbeth View Post
        I can't imagine there being a problem with the blocks unless they were heavy and could fall on a child?

Why does she even comment on your sandbox? Is it too big? Too small? To my knowledge there is nothing in our regs that says anything about sandboxes. As far as outdoor equipment, the biggest thing is having proper ground cover in fall zones. The rock would probably be fine as long as you have proper ground cover underneath.

I literally only had a small plastic sandbox and a mini Little Tikes slide when I first became licensed. That's it My licensor was totally ok with it
        The ground cover issue worries me. We were planning on putting in a grassy mound with a slide. I can't find anything in my licensing standards about ground cover and where it's needed. It would be a shame to go to the expense of putting it in of its not allowed

Comment

Originally posted by Stepping View Post
          The ground cover issue worries me. We were planning on putting in a grassy mound with a slide. I can't find anything in my licensing standards about ground cover and where it's needed. It would be a shame to go to the expense of putting it in of its not allowed
          You are completely right and I would definitely contact your licensor to determine what will work and won't.

Comment

Originally posted by Lil Monkey View Post
            Our sandbox is HUGE. Its 32ft long x 24 ft wide. Sand was cheaper and more forgiving on bare feet then mulch so that is what we went with. She comments that it must take hours to clean it each morning as she is sure stray cats use it for a litter box. In reality it takes me about 20 minutes to rake daily. I have found poo in it once in the last 5 months.

I will have DH add the rock then. We have 8 inches of sand in the box. I am sure some places are less then others now. But, where I am thinking they should be fine.
            Ooooh, ok I understand. Well then every uncovered sandbox should be in question

I would call your licensor about the rock first... my licensor wouldn't mind with proper ground cover but yours might.

Comment

Yes. I will shoot her an email. I asked her for ideas on ground cover she said sand so we got sand ! The kids love it!

Comment

I bought a tarp to put over our sandbox.

Comment

Our sandbox is also home to our clubhouse, swing set and a climbing thing..A tarp wouldn't really work well. I don't mind raking daily.

Comment

Originally posted by MissAnn View Post
                    I do! I am nature explore certified. You can see pics of programs certified here: http://www.natureexplore.org/certified/
                    I ordered the nature explore ideas book and it just arrived. Can't wait to get started!

My hubby wants to know when I'm going to stop spending and start making money but this is just too much fun

Comment

Working...
                    X