Parent Won't Commit to Spot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parent Won't Commit to Spot

So I had two daycare interviews fir my two open spots. One full time who is stop "shopping around" and another who wanted to start two says later. She took all of the paperwork and shake she would fill it out and bring it Monday when she drops off her baby. She's part time to the max hours. I basically told her the spot was hers if she wanted it and she said she did. But didn't leave a deposit.

Well after she left, she started emailing asking for references, which was fine. The after she called them and liked what they said.... she asked for more... then more, now she's asking for one's as far back as 6 years.

Well I also just interviews twin infants who would take both my spots.

Should I honor my commitment to her th second mom?
    I'm feeling like she doesn't trust me. I don't wan to turn any one away but how long do I give her to decide.. she was supposed to start tomorrow. Now who knows.

If you want the twins I would call her and tell her that the spots had been filled. Asking for that many references would send up a red flag for me. Besides, wouldn't it be better to fill both slots at once?

Comment

thanks for the advice.I totally agree, I'm just one of those people who wants to please everyone and I feel lime I made some sort of commitment to her.

Comment

At this point you said that the spot was hers but it also sounds like you aren't interested in working with her because of the number of references she is asking for. So the important question is, do you even want to work with this woman anymore?

For future reference, please abide by your own policies! If a deposit is required, you should have insisted on one. I also recommend that you insist on completed paperwork before an enrollment is complete and the spot secured.

At this point you have two choices

1. contact this woman and confirm she is coming on Monday, remind her of the items required and accept her child into the daycare as you verbally committed to. Its possible when you call her, she will back out of the arrangement herself or ignore your calls and no show on Monday though

2. you can contact her and let her know that you feel the number of references requested and the lack of deposit and paperwork has shown that she is hesitating on committing to this arrangement. You dont feel comfortable with how this working relationship has begun and would rather she find another daycare with a provider that she does trust and where she is more comfortable with committing to enrollment. then move on to the next family (which it sounds like you want to do anyway). but be prepared for this original mom to be mad. be prepared for her to call your licensor or do something else rash.

Comment

If she had already started you would have to stick with it. But since she's making a big deal out of calling a ton of references (after I assume all of the ones she has called were positive) then she will probably be high maintenance. I hope it works out for you!

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
            thanks for the advice.I totally agree, I'm just one of those people who wants to please everyone and I feel lime I made some sort of commitment to her.
            well you did make a verbal commitment to her. so in the future, please dont do that. have ONE enrollment policy, outline it in the contract, and do it the same way every time.

i did post a full response on one of your other threads....looks like you posted duplicates.

Comment

Thanks! This is my first interview that didn't sign and put a deposit down on the spot but I assumed she was on board. I will give her til Monday and make the best decision for the group

Sorry for all the duplicates. The page wasn't loading so I kept clicking
              Last edited by Michael; 09-08-2013, 01:31 AM.

Comment

Are you sure this lady isn't just starting her own daycare? Sounds like she's getting a list of potential clients from you by asking for more and more references.

I'd call her to confirm if she wants the spot. Tell her you have another interested party and the first person that returns paperwork and a deposit has the spot.

Comment

Good advice above. You need to follow your own policies in the future in order to save yourself from this type of headache. I tell all my potential clients that my spots are not considered filled until all the paperwork AND deposit are returned. Until then I continue to advertise and interview.

Comment

I would call up and tell her "I just wanted to clarify that when I said the spot was yours, it was because you said you wanted it and was going to give me the the deposit. I completely understand that you want to be thorough with references, but I want to remind you that my policy is that I don't hold spots without a deposit. If you want the spot, I will need that ASAP as I have others who are interested in the spot. Thanks!"

This had happened to me several years ago - mom had said she would be by within the week with paperwork and deposit so I said "no worries, the spot is yours!" but then, she never showed or called or returned my calls. For three months I waited and finally filled the spot. She called a month after that to come by with the paperwork

Comment

Originally posted by jessrlee View Post
                      If you want the twins I would call her and tell her that the spots had been filled. Asking for that many references would send up a red flag for me. Besides, wouldn't it be better to fill both slots at once?
                      Yep! This

Comment

My policy is first come fist served.

U til all paperwork is signed and deposit is in my hand, the spot isn't filled.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                          So I had two daycare interviews for my two open spots. One full time who is stop "shopping around" and another who wanted to start two says later. She took all of the paperwork and shake she would fill it out and bring it Monday when she drops off her baby. She's part time to the max hours. I basically told her the spot was hers if she wanted it and she said she did. But didn't leave a deposit.

Should I honor my commitment to her the second mom?
                          I think if she was serious she would have at least made an effort for a partial deposit, at this point she is just stalling. I understand wanting references, but if she is seriously looking for care for her child she should understand that with daycare it's first come first serve, because there are lots of other people who need daycare and she can't lygag if she want's quality.

Like another poster said, I would see that as a red flag if she keeps asking for multiple references (more than 5 references is tedious; and past the last 2 or 3 years is ridicules in my opinion) that she may be extremely indecisive (flakey) or a helicopter mom who would try to control you and your program/policies. I say "NEXT!"

Comment

I agree with the previous advice and no deposit = no spot. I actual wrote in my contract if a deposit wasn't received by a certain date (school year spots) I will move on to the next person on the waiting list. Families will string you along if you let them. I would reach out to the mom one more time with a very specific time frame for a response back (If I don't hear from you within 24-48 hours I will assume you have moved on) and then move on to the next client.

Comment

I would contact her & say, " Hey there, just checking to see if you will be here on Monday with all the paperwork filled out & the deposit/payment of so & so at drop-off. I have several people interested in the spots, so I'm trying to see if you're still interested so I can let them know." As for the references, don't give her more. That's ridiculous. More than 5 references is silly. She has trust issues. Besides, who remembers all those people? I moved to a whole other city 5 years ago & have since had other jobs, etc. I can't remember everyone. Otherwise, I'd confront her & ask if she was having a reluctance to trust you, etc...because that gives you an out to take on the twins.

Comment

Working...
                              X