Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The parents here now don't have a problem with my husband at all. In fact, they like him. I'm just very leery about a nutcase coming in and after their kids being here a month or so, falsely accuse my husband of something. I personally have no problem with him being here, but there's gonna be that ONE parent to cause the problems, and I'd rather avoid it.

Comment

Personally, I have never worked with a male in a child care centre (but I haven't been working very long), but I do remember as a child having several male camp counselors and they were great. I think it would be great to have men working in child care centres (obviously they would need criminal checks and so forth) but I honestly don't see how a man could pose more of a threat than a women in child care. Just like there are some bad men out there, there are bad women too. To me a person's sex should have no baring on how good a person is, or how well they work with children.

As for a home daycare, again I think it's great that some husbands want to help out. I agree that they should look professional, etc. It would just add to that "family" feeling that home day cares have.

Having men can be excellent sources of positive role models for children, boys especially. Others mentioned how it is also great for children who don't have positive male figures in their lives. Children need to learn that regardless of what may have happened at home or in the past, there are men that can be trusted and confided in.

As for parents who are uneasy about this, well I can't say I have much of a perspective on that, as I do not have any children, but I don't see why males can make excellent teachers but not childcare workers.

That's just my opinion on it; I didn't mean for it to get so long.

Comment

Originally posted by DreamBig View Post
        Personally, I have never worked with a male in a child care centre (but I haven't been working very long), but I do remember as a child having several male camp counselors and they were great. I think it would be great to have men working in child care centres (obviously they would need criminal checks and so forth) but I honestly don't see how a man could pose more of a threat than a women in child care. Just like there are some bad men out there, there are bad women too. To me a person's sex should have no baring on how good a person is, or how well they work with children.

As for a home daycare, again I think it's great that some husbands want to help out. I agree that they should look professional, etc. It would just add to that "family" feeling that home day cares have.

Having men can be excellent sources of positive role models for children, boys especially. Others mentioned how it is also great for children who don't have positive male figures in their lives. Children need to learn that regardless of what may have happened at home or in the past, there are men that can be trusted and confided in.

As for parents who are uneasy about this, well I can't say I have much of a perspective on that, as I do not have any children, but I don't see why males can make excellent teachers but not childcare workers.

That's just my opinion on it; I didn't mean for it to get so long.
        I could not agree more! There is nothing wrong with a man who wants to work in child care! I am honestly a little surprised by some of the comments about men working in child care. We would never discourage a boy from playing in the doll area so I guess I am just suprised in this day and age of single fathers and more dad's getting primary custody that so many parents would have a problem with men in child care. I think it is great and men have alot to offer. I agree with your comment that just as there are bad men, there are bad women too. Neglect and abuse knows no sexual orientation so for someone to assume that men can not be excellent provider's or should not be in child care is just another form of discrimination.:confused:

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
          Neglect and abuse knows no sexual orientation so for someone to assume that men can not be excellent provider's or should not be in child care is just another form of discrimination.:confused:
          I just wanted to make sure that my opinion didn't come across wrongly (I know I'm not the only contributor to the con side, but regardless ...). I totally agree with Blackcat31's statement. Statistically, though, there are higher ratios of male sexual offenders to female sexual offenders. If someone wants to make a false accusation, a man in some form of child care is a prime target. I choose to protect my husband (and my sons, for that matter) from that possibility by not having them help me with the daycare kids.

I've worked with some very gifted child care workers who happen to be men, and I think that's an amazing thing. I also think, though, that they need to be more careful, in the same way a woman working a late shift at the hospital needs to be careful walking home at 2 in the morning. She isn't doing anything wrong, and she has every right to be walking home whenever she wants to, but she needs to be extra careful to protect herself because statistically more bad things happen to women at night on deserted streets than during the day in rush hour.

I think the only way to change cultural assumptions about men in child care is to provide more opportunities for them while keeping them as safe as possible. My husband really has no desire to work with kids, but like most husbands, he would help out if I asked him too. If the OP's husband wants to work with kids, I think he should. I just think he should make sure he's keeping himself protected (as much as possible) from crazy parents .
          www.WelcomeToTheZoo.ca

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
            I could not agree more! There is nothing wrong with a man who wants to work in child care! I am honestly a little surprised by some of the comments about men working in child care. We would never discourage a boy from playing in the doll area so I guess I am just suprised in this day and age of single fathers and more dad's getting primary custody that so many parents would have a problem with men in child care. I think it is great and men have alot to offer. I agree with your comment that just as there are bad men, there are bad women too. Neglect and abuse knows no sexual orientation so for someone to assume that men can not be excellent provider's or should not be in child care is just another form of discrimination.:confused:
            With all respect (honestly - I don't want this to be one of those argument postings!) I think some are missing the point.

There is NOTHING wrong with the man himself wanting to do childcare.

There is NOTHING wrong with having a man DO child care.

Men can provide wonderful enrichment to children.

Men can be just as good of a Provider as Women.

That being said, I think the people (myself included) on the CON side are saying that it's the worry of the CLIENTS that we are concerned with. Ok, maybe I'll just speak for myself. As I explained in my 1st posting on this thread, I had a parent once grill their daughter to see if my husband "did anything wrong" to her. I don't need that wacko parent coming in and causing problems. Especially THAT kind of problem. It's NOT the man, it's not me or my program. I can't emphasize that enough. It's being 1,000 times cautious and presenting a safe-LOOKING atmosphere in the parents' eyes. Yes, I know my husband is safe, but you have to admit there are trigger-fingered, litigious parents out there who would see a handshake and call it fondling. That's an exaggeration, but that's where the 1,000 times cautiousness comes from.

I hope this makes sense that we're (I'm) not bashing men in the slightest. Not even close. It's the leery parent who looks at things through suspicious eyes.

Comment

Working...
            X