Self-Help Skills!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self-Help Skills!

So my first day with my drop-in family (21 month old DCG and 4 year old- tomorrow- DCB) went great! However, they both seem to lack A LOT of self help skills. As in the DCB (who I previously posted about "needing" to be wiped) threw an all-out tantrum when I had him put on his shorts after changing out of his nap-time pull-up, couldn't put on his own strappy sandals, and the 21 month old had no idea how to even attempt to put on her socks. Poor thing just put the socks OVER her feet Looks like I will have some major teaching, cuz this chica does expect them to be able to do these things for themselves But, they are pretty darn nice and cute!

Originally posted by Mama2Bella View Post
    So my first day with my drop-in family (21 month old DCG and 4 year old- tomorrow- DCB) went great! However, they both seem to lack A LOT of self help skills. As in the DCB (who I previously posted about "needing" to be wiped) threw an all-out tantrum when I had him put on his shorts after changing out of his nap-time pull-up, couldn't put on his own strappy sandals, and the 21 month old had no idea how to even attempt to put on her socks. Poor thing just put the socks OVER her feet Looks like I will have some major teaching, cuz this chica does expect them to be able to do these things for themselves But, they are pretty darn nice and cute!
    maybe it's just me but, I think putting socks on can be tricky for them and 21 mos is pretty young. I have some here that claim they can't put on their shoes but, somehow when I don't do it, it gets done!::

Comment

My daughter is 23 months and can't dress herself yet. I was concerned before but I'm not now. She tries but it's just too hard for her. She can put her crocs on by herself and take her shoes and socks off and that's it. . She is very petite and just getting into 18m clothes.

Comment

Oh, I know kids all learn at different ages, but they don't even try- you can tell they get it done for them. But that's what I'm here for!. And I won't be wiping the 4 year old more than a handful of times- no thank you on that one!!

Comment

Originally posted by ABCDaycareMN View Post
          My daughter is 23 months and can't dress herself yet. I was concerned before but I'm not now. She tries but it's just too hard for her. She can put her crocs on by herself and take her shoes and socks off and that's it. . She is very petite and just getting into 18m clothes.
          my son just learned to put his crocs on too...he is also tiny and is in 12 mo or 18 mo clothing(should probably use more 18 shirts but, those are fall ones and I'm not buying new ones now) and he is 25 mos! Such a peanut, but, healthy and active as can be!

Comment

My new dcb is the same and is 3 1/2... Couldn't put on his own underwear or pants. Couldn't put on his sneakers. And it wasn't that he couldn't complete the task but that he didnt even know where to start! He has been here a total of four days and is now independently getting onto and going potty (couldn't when he started) and washing his hands. He still needs me to get his underwear and pants started or he ends up with both legs in one hole! ::
            Sometimes I don't think parents realize they are ready and need to do these things...

Comment

Originally posted by Familycare71 View Post
              My new dcb is the same and is 3 1/2... Couldn't put on his own underwear or pants. Couldn't put on his sneakers. And it wasn't that he couldn't complete the task but that he didnt even know where to start! He has been here a total of four days and is now independently getting onto and going potty (couldn't when he started) and washing his hands. He still needs me to get his underwear and pants started or he ends up with both legs in one hole! ::
              Sometimes I don't think parents realize they are ready and need to do these things...
              I think in general this generation of parents simply do NOT encourage independence at ALL!!

I'm not referring to kids that are mentioned above who can't quite do the skills yet. Because it seems like everyone here is encouraging it and helping them learn, even if they can't quite master it just yet.

I'm referring to parents who would rather wipe a four or five year olds bootie than teach them how to do it themselves, even if they aren't perfect at it just yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Cradle2crayons View Post
                I think in general this generation of parents simply do NOT encourage independence at ALL!!

I'm not referring to kids that are mentioned above who can't quite do the skills yet. Because it seems like everyone here is encouraging it and helping them learn, even if they can't quite master it just yet.

I'm referring to parents who would rather wipe a four or five year olds bootie than teach them how to do it themselves, even if they aren't perfect at it just yet.
                Yes! I want effort- if you can't do it that is fine... But TRY! Parents need to build that time into their day. I think we all can relate to days where we aren't in the mood and help to speed things up but kids have to learn problem solving skills and self help skills. It is also a developmental mark- they need to be working on it when they are young.
                On a side note: I remember with my dd when she was two the Ped asked at her physical if she could walk down stairs yet front facing. I said no but the only reason was her legs weren't long enough

Comment

Absolutely! Who in the world wants to wipe a 5yo's bum?? Ewwww!

Comment

I have kids who are independent in those skills here, dressing, eating, washing up, toileting and then their parent shows and they say they can't put their shoes on, or the parent doesn't even ask, they just do it for them. ALL of my current kids/clients are like this. ALL. DRIVES.ME.CRAZY.

Comment

Not to hi-jack, but my 4 yo DD has the HARDEST time taking her shirt off ... she can get dressed by herself otherwise. It's just getting her shirt off that is seeming to be very difficult for her - I'm nervous for winter when she's in long-sleeve.

Any tricks for that?

Comment

Working...
                      X