Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Far Down The List Do You Go?

I have never had this happen before..

I have a family that has been with me for a few years. GREAT family and GREAT child. everything is always good with this family.

Well today they were a no-show. has never happened in the years they have been here. I have been trying to get in touch with the DCM since Friday, left VM never heard back. I tired calling this morning and straight to VM, I leave another message. I send an email asking are you guys ok.

Next I call DCD.....the person on the other end informs me that the DCD has not worked there in over a year, so no luck there.......Which BTW I am shocked because I ask all parents to update their childs file every 3 months.

I call the DCM mother (g-ma) she lives out of state, but visits a lot and I have gotten to know her over the years. Guess what, her number is out of service....

I have one more person that I could call, but I don't know if I should keep going down the list of emergency numbers. I would hate to get anyone in their family all worked up in their business. BUT at the same time I am concerned about the family...

I did fail to mention at the start of this that the DCP are in the process of separating.......they were never married...

How far down the list should I go and then what do I say if I decide to call that next person????

Keep going til you find out whats going on. Just say that you are concerned as you haven't heard from them and this is very atypical of them.

Comment

my gut says do this, but I don't want to get anyone in their family all worked up........ Perhaps I can just stress that maybe their was a communication issue??

UGH why today???

Comment

If this is so completely out of character for them, I would call. Just say you are trying to reach them and some of the numbers you have for them are no longer in service. You shouldn't need to mention anything else.

I hope you can find them and put your mind at ease.

Comment

Originally posted by MsLaura529 View Post
          If this is so completely out of character for them, I would call. Just say you are trying to reach them and some of the numbers you have for them are no longer in service. You shouldn't need to mention anything else.

This is exactly what I would say.

Good luck. I hope you get ahold of someone.

Comment

Originally posted by daycare View Post
            my gut says do this, but I don't want to get anyone in their family all worked up........ Perhaps I can just stress that maybe their was a communication issue??

UGH why today???
            Why not?

They should be worked up.......this family is MIA and you have been unable to reach them. What if something is seriously wrong? Carbon monoxide poisoning, illness, in need of help, etc.... who knows....

As a family member, I would appreciate your concern and as the daycare family, I would also be understanding of your need to call until you found the answer(s) you need.

If they do by chance get upset, then in the future they will perhaps be more responsible in maintaining contact with you.

I'd call every contact person on the list as well as DCM's place of work and if I still couldn't reach anyone, I would call the Sheriff's department and ask them to do a check on the family as they haven't showed up or had contact with you for a few days now.

Comment

Originally posted by MsLaura529 View Post

This . I hope you figure out what's happening! So weird!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                Why not?

They should be worked up.......this family is MIA and you have been unable to reach them. What if something is seriously wrong? Carbon monoxide poisoning, illness, in need of help, etc.... who knows....

As a family member, I would appreciate your concern and as the daycare family, I would also be understanding of your need to call until you found the answer(s) you need.

If they do by chance get upset, then in the future they will perhaps be more responsible in maintaining contact with you.

I'd call every contact person on the list as well as DCM's place of work and if I still couldn't reach anyone, I would call the Sheriff's department and ask them to do a check on the family as they haven't showed up or had contact with you for a few days now.

Comment

Originally posted by daycare View Post

UGH why today???
                  It's your business..., they will have to answer to their family getting worked up, not you.

Comment

Is it possible for you to drive by their house to check on them? I would if at all possible, out of concern for their well-being.

Comment

I would absolutely call! Like bc said, you really never know!

Comment

Originally posted by Crystal View Post
                        Is it possible for you to drive by their house to check on them? I would if at all possible, out of concern for their well-being.
                        I will drive by....I have called all of the childs emergency contacts.......ALL PHONE NUMBERS are wrong.................the only one that did work, says that the VM box is full so I can't leave a message. I sent a text...

I am really worried..... AND BC you are right....if they didn't want everyone upset, then they should have communicated with me about what is going on...... I do always seem to assume the worst case possible when things are out of the norm............. I almost want to cry, but trying to not freak out....I love this kid so much, I really hope everything is ok

Comment

Most police departments will do a welfare check if you just call and explain the situation.

Comment

Have you heard from the family yet?

Comment

I had this happen a few years ago. I had been watching the boy for a few years and had a great working relationship with his mom. They didn't show up on a Monday, and I was worried when I couldn't contact them. When they didn't show up on Tuesday, I was really worried. She is a single mom and the DCK (then 2 years old) lived alone. Of course, no emergency numbers worked. She was self employed, so no chance of calling work. I was loading up my family to go to their house (imagining the horrors that I would find) and she finally called back. She was "just taking a break from everything". I insisted new paperwork be filed with current emergency back up. I then told her that if we had any more "no shows", I would call and give her 10 minutes to call back. I would then call an emergency back up. If I could not contact anyone, I would call the police to check in on them. It never happened again!

Comment

Working...
                              X