Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kid-Friendly Treats (Recipies)

What are some of your kids' favorites?

I have two daycare sisters who wants to have peanut and jelly sandwich EVERYDAY! It is their favorites. I wouldn't give them everyday.. ::

Comment

Cottage chesse with any type of fruit

Comment

Sunshine muffins and Big Fat Cookies (the kind from cake mix)

Comment

I'm talkin' things that they can help you make, like a cooking lesson. I have school agers- and I'm looking forward to the weather cooling off so we can use our facility's kitchen.

Comment

I dont have a recipe, but you could have the children help you make muffins and incorporate reading If You Give a Moose a Muffin. I use muffin mixes alot and it would be easy to let the kiddos help you mix it up and pour it into the muffin tin. Or, you could use If You Give a Mouse a Cookie and make cookies either homemade or from a mix. I will have to think on the recipe part.

Comment

Peanut Butter Balls (peanut butter, honey, dry milk powder, rasins/chocolate chips)--stir together. I'm not sure of measurements 'cause I just make it, look up a recipe for "edible playdough"

They can help make cookies or muffins or banana bread or anything really--have them help you measure, pour, stir, and shape/fill/etc.

Look for a cooking with kids cookbook at your local library or secondhand book store

Apple Smiles

Jello Jigglers, cut-out cookies, playdough (the not edible kind, but still fun!)

Really though, they can help you make any recipe you want--it doesn't have to be a "kid recipe" or a "kid food" or "kid treat"--in fact, if you get them involved in making something like vegetable soup (if they're old enough they can even help cut the veggies) then they might eat it when they wouldn't usually. Get them in the kitchen to help with lunch; give each child a task, or have everyone make their own sandwich if you're having sandwiches (PBJ, lunchmeat, etc). Sure it might be messy...but isn't that the point? Plus, it's a great life skill for them to learn early!

Don't forget also that cooking is more than just cooking--you're working on math skills, science, practical living, reading, following directions, language (unfamiliar terminology), and probably a few more if I get thinking.
              Last edited by SilverSabre25; 09-28-2010, 03:51 PM. Reason: had another thought
              Hee hee! Look, I have a signature!

Comment

Thank you all, I love cooking time with the kids! We do it a lot. I should have specifically said what I was looking for-

I want to know what recipies are your kids' favorites to help you make. Which one's do they ask for over and over? I have a big list, but we do it so often, I need new ideas.

Comment

One that my kids like are tortillas with butter (or margarine) spread on them, then a little cinnamon/sugar mix sprinkled on. Microwave for 10 seconds, then roll up and eat. They can spread the butter, sprinkle the cinnamon and if they are a little older, they can roll up.
                  Give a little love to a child, and you get a great deal back.

Comment

I have preschoolers, and we use the Moosewood books (Salad People & the name of the other one slipped my mind). They also make one for older kids (I think 8+), but I don't have that one.

Comment

apple rings

My older kids LOVE to help me peel apples with my apple peeler/corer/slicer machine (Lee Valley Tools online has a great one for about $30). The would do it for hours, and when they get tired of it, we take the apples and make a pie, or something else apple-y.

Comment

Working...
                      X