What Do You Call Them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Do You Call Them?

The children in my class are a little over 2yrs (about 27 months) to 3yrs. What would you call the age group as a whole? Usually toddlers are considered walking-2, but I don't think I would call ours preschoolers either.

Good question. I always wonder too if there's a better word for this age. My daycare kids are all ages 0-3. I say we have infants and toddlers. But then I worry that people only thing of young toddlers. Are 2 year olds still called toddlers? Are 3 year olds?

Comment

Trouble. ::::

Seriously, though, that's a good question. :confused:

Comment

0-24 months=infants

2-3=toddlers

3-5=Preschoolers

This is how I have seen it broken down and believe this is how my state actually has it.

Comment

Around here our terminology is:

"babies" (under 1 yr)
          "toddlers" (under 2)
          "little kids" (2-3 yr old preschoolers)
          "big kids" (3-5 yr old preschoolers)
          "school-ers" (Kindy age and up)

Even though the state breaks it down for licensing ratios as:

0-12 months = infant
          12-24 months = toddler
          2 yr - 5 yrs = preschooler
          5 yrs - 12 yrs = school age

Comment

Originally posted by mamac View Post

::Exactly!

Comment

curtain climbers, crumb snatchers, ...

I really don't know.

Comment

Although my state breaks it down like BC here's how providers commonly break it down in my area:

Infants = under 12 months
                Toddlers = 1-2 years
                Preschool = 2-4 years
                Kindergarten = 5 years once they start kindy
                School agers = 6 and older.

Comment

:: True that! (My favorite age though- I am a gutten for punishment I think) ::
                  Last edited by Blackcat31; 06-19-2013, 09:53 AM.

Comment

I call mine preschoolers, and so does the state. Ages 2-5, not enrolled in kindergarten.

Comment

I call mine (2-5) preschoolers. When they are entering their final year before KG I call them Pre-K because I do KG prep activities with them and the parents like the differentiation so they know their child is being prepared for school.
                      But, when I worked in centers we called them:
                      0-1 Infants
                      1-2 Toddlers
                      2-3 Two's
                      3-4 Preschoolers
                      4-5 Pre-K

Comment

Originally posted by JoseyJo View Post
                        :: True that! (My favorite age though- I am a gutten for punishment I think) ::
                        I agree! They are so full of wonder and imagination. Once they get closer to 4, the imagination starts to be replaced by things they see on tv .

Comment

Interest thread on 18 months - 36 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunshine74 View Post
                            The children in my class are a little over 2yrs (about 27 months) to 3yrs. What would you call the age group as a whole? Usually toddlers are considered walking-2, but I don't think I would call ours preschoolers either.
                            How about waddlers.... or penguins.

I plan on having star related names for my groups of kids
                            1. Twinkling Stars (under 16 months; infants/ beginning tots)
                            2. Shooting Stars (16 months to about 30 months; Toddlers)
                            3. Star Students (30 months to about 60 months]; preschoolers [age depends on when they graduate])
                            4. Super Stars (5 years and up; before/after schoolers)

Comment

So true. They are quickly becoming my favorite age though... most days. I have only been working with this age group since the beginning of the year, so I am still learning them. I saw this on facebook the other day and found it quite fitting.

NY state lumps 18-36 months together under one ratio group. They don't really call them anything, they just say the age and the ratio. We have them broken down because they really are very different groups of kids. We call them toddlers, our room is Toddler 3- the third group of toddlers at our center. The first two are walking-18 months, and 18-27 months. But I know when I say toddlers, people think more of the first two groups.

Comment

Working...
                              X