No announcement yet.

Early Morning Drops..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I normally start my contracted hours as 730 as I am not a morning person but I did make an exception for one family whem DCMs schedule at work changed. DCB was dropped off at 545-6 and honesty after the first 2 days I hated it and wanted to drop them! I managed it for 6 months until DCMs schedule changed again and she needed a 515am drop off, even though DCD wasn't working, I just couldn't do it and they decided to keep DCB home with dad. Even though I hated it I did feel lucky because DCB always fell right back to sleep immediately and didn't wake up right before my next DCK arrived at 8. This mom was really flaky when it came to work (she called in literally at least once a week) but always let me know beforehand so I could sleep in.

Personally I wouldn't do it ever again. I think a big part of my disdain for it is because my most reliable and steady families are here 8 to 530-545 so I was working 12hrs and it was wearing me out. Maybe if I had all early ones and everyone was gone by 430 I would consider it but never again can I do those early drop off families with later pick up ones.

Comment

I also had kids for a few years that came at 5:30 am. They were siblings. I laid them down and they always fell asleep. They got up around 7:00-7:15. They were 2 & 3 yrs old.

When I reopened after 14 yrs away from FCC I had a friend wanting to bring a newborn at 4:45 am she has to be to work by 5:00. I suppose it would have been earlier even....all I can say is ick!

I would never take an infant before 7:30........way too much work for so early in the morning!

Comment

Originally posted by Lyss View Post
        Personally I wouldn't do it ever again. I think a big part of my disdain for it is because my most reliable and steady families are here 8 to 530-545 so I was working 12hrs and it was wearing me out. Maybe if I had all early ones and everyone was gone by 430 I would consider it but never again can I do those early drop off families with later pick up ones.
        The only way I would do earlier hours would be if I was completely DONE by say, 3:00PM. I have parents who want earlier drop off and say "But we'll pick up earlier!" And to that I always say "But I'll still have six other children here until 5:00 so I'm still working a 12 hour day, one child leaving "early" does not a "break" make!"

Comment

Originally posted by Play Care View Post
          The only way I would do earlier hours would be if I was completely DONE by say, 3:00PM. I have parents who want earlier drop off and say "But we'll pick up earlier!" And to that I always say "But I'll still have six other children here until 5:00 so I'm still working a 12 hour day, one child leaving "early" does not a "break" make!"
          I feel different about this one. One child leaving early does make a break for me. Changes the dynamics of the group. I will say I find that they say they are going to pick up early but never end up doing that. They see all the other kids here and figure it is ok- ugh!!!

Comment

I've done it and would do it again. I'm an early bird and have no children at home, so it's no big deal to me. That said, when combined with kids who don't leave until 4 or 5, it makes for a very long day. However, I'm up early, kids or no kids, and the early ones generally go right back to sleep. I think it works best if you are an early bird too.

I don't charge more for early arrivals. My prices are based on how long the child is here, not how many hours I have to work today. It doesn't seem fair to charge Early Family extra when the kids are only here 8 1/2 hours. It isn't their fault other families work later.

Comment

Not for me.... If I did do that early I would ONLY take families on that schedule and close early Same amount of hours just shifter earlier.
              It:: will wait

Comment

Not in a million years! I HATE mornings. I open at 7:30am and even that is a struggle... even though I usually wake up between 7:15 and 7:20

I MIGHT do it temporarily (2 weeks tops) for a GREAT family... but I would still charge at least $10/day extra.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                  Before being a childcare provider, I worked at a job where I had to be to work at 6:00. I could find no one but one center to watch my child. I even asked friends and no one would do it for me. This center was a life saver for me as I wouldn't have been able to work if I couldn't find childcare.

Now, I was a serious worker meaning, I never flaked arriving at 5:30. I don't understand the mentality of parents that go into work when they want. So stress that to these parents that if they aren't serious about needing the care, won't arrive when scheduled, switching times and what not then you can't accomodate them. If they are serious, then I say go for it as you will be a lifesaver for them.
                  That is why I open at 5:30am..., I'm not here for just me, but all those single moms/dads out there without a support system. I did shift work when my kids were little & totally understand the need. The rate is the same for me.

Comment

I don't know if I could work that many hours each week, if other clients left at normal times (5:00/6:00). When I had to work 11 hour days I was always exhausted and felt like all I did was work.

Comment

The earliest I did was 6 am. 5:30 I think I would charge the same as a half day. If they really need it then they will pay. If they don't want to pay then they will make other arrangements. 5 bucks to get up that early.

Comment

For those of you that are willing to take the early birds, more power to you! I could never do it! I have to get up at 5:30-6 as it is, earlier if I want to work out, to be ready for DCK's at 7:30. Most of mine have been coming at 8:30 which is wonderful!! I've had lots of parents call me wanting drop off at 5 or 5:30 am wanting to know what my hours are. Well they are stated clearly in my ad so I always say, sorry I don't open till 7:30 I can't help you. Even an extra $10 a day wouldn't be worth that!

Comment

Working...
                        X