DCB That Has A Nut Allergy And Asthma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DCB That Has A Nut Allergy And Asthma

I have DCB that has a nut allergy and asthma. Both his Epi Pen and Inhaler (only use inhaler if he has a cold) are expired. I sent a note home on Tuesday letting parents know they are expired and that I would need them replaced by the end of the week. Didn't hear a peep from parents. (Not surprised - he leaves in two weeks so I think they are stalling.) I'm sending a note home as well as sending them an email stating that he can't return to care until I receive those or a note from the doctor saying he doesn't need them anylonger.

Okay to do right? Every year when these expire I'm the one asking repeatedly for them.

Absolutely!!!

IME sometimes that's the only way to get the DCP's attention

Comment

Absolutely!!

That's be like expecting your kid to make it through the day with no food or diapers....

I'd say due to the severity of the issue, you should absolutely refuse care until you have ALL the necessary things to keep the child alive!

Wow! Parents amaze me sometimes.

Comment

Holy buckets yes!!!

Comment

I know it's going to be "Well it's Friday afternoon so I won't be able to get ahold of the doctor" ....Oh well! Really I shouldn't be the one telling YOU it's expired, you should be just giving me a new one!

Thanks for reassuring me. I'll be emailing them at nap today and the note just went in the bag. Pick up will be interesting.

Comment

You already gave them a heads up on Tuesday that it was expired and needed to be replaced. Warning was given. The child really should not be in care without it. Chances are thier one at home is expired too.

Comment

Definitely yes.

Remind them one more time today at pick-up that you need both on Monday otherwise the child cannot come to daycare on Monday.

Personally I would even text, call or email them Sunday night and if no response one final reminder early Monday morning before they are scheduled to arrive just so that there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY they can say that they forgot.

Sunday Night
              "Hey Susan. Just a reminder that I need both an unexpired epi-pen and inhaler for little Suzie or I can't accept her in care tomorrow morning. Thanks"

Monday morning
              "Don't forget to bring the new epi-pen and inhaler with you today"

If they do come with one stop them at the door (lock it if you have to until they arrive) and ask for BOTH and check the expiration date on them before you let them in. If what they give you is also expired ... "That's not going to work, these are expired too..."

If they throw a fit or say that they don't have it ...
              "I gave you plenty of notice and reminded you several times. Call your Dr as soon as possible to refill both the epi-pen and inhaler. Usually they can have it within a few hours and you'll only have to miss a few hours of work"

Sounds like they are pushing, push back.

Comment

Originally posted by WImom View Post
                I have DCB that has a nut allergy and asthma. Both his Epi Pen and Inhaler (only use inhaler if he has a cold) are expired. I sent a note home on Tuesday letting parents know they are expired and that I would need them replaced by the end of the week. Didn't hear a peep from parents. (Not surprised - he leaves in two weeks so I think they are stalling.) I'm sending a note home as well as sending them an email stating that he can't return to care until I receive those or a note from the doctor saying he doesn't need them anylonger.

Okay to do right? Every year when these expire I'm the one asking repeatedly for them.
                You know the answer to this!!! I will answer just in case someone else doesn't know the answer to this question. ABSOLUTELY!

Nut allergies can be severe. Asthma can be too. They both will close up your air ways and not let you breathe. I don't want to take a child with allergies of this sort because I love peanut butter! Kuddo's to you right there for doing that. I would ask parents once for these and then it would be sorry but your child can't come to daycare today because I will not offer services with out these items unless they are no longer needed. It can be called in and picked up. Maddening when you have to deal with this mentality. This is not just about forgetting the diapers but not bringing in what the child needs to save his life. ?UGH!

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                  Absolutely!!

That's be like expecting your kid to make it through the day with no food or diapers....I see it as more urgent then those things.

I'd say due to the severity of the issue, you should absolutely refuse care until you have ALL the necessary things to keep the child alive! yes yes and yes......

Wow! Parents amaze me sometimes.
                  no doubt they amaze me too, I have been forgetful of different things with my own kids but if it were a medical issue as such that would not be something I would put off until I felt like doing it. I would go with out to get these things to my child. I am not amazed I am actually irritated by this.

Comment

I would do what you mentioned, as well as a verbal reminder at pick-up. Those are serious and I wouldn't take the liability for not having medically (and life) necessary supplies I would be surprised, but I saw lots of parents do similar things when I was a teacher!!

Comment

HOW expired are they? Most meds are good for at least a year after expiration. Parents may be well aware of this, and choosing to wait a while to replace. If it expired in the last 6 months, I would let it go. Longer, I'd ask for new ones. I agree with you, though-these are LIFESAVING medications. I would replace them before they expired were they for MY child, but I am sure they are still safe to use.

Expiration dates are usually somewhat random (I used to work in drug and medical device manufacturing), and are not at all based on when things actually go bad, but rather, are dates that the company will guarantee them good for. Where I worked, our expiration dates were standard XXX years-not based on individual drugs at all.

Comment

April 2013 - I go through the meds box about every 5-6 months. I did check online and most said an epi that's expired needs to be replaced. I dont' think I'd risk it with that.

I am also annoyed because last year I had two kids with allergies - emailed both parents - one came in the next day with a new one and thanked me for noticing, she said she hadn't checked it in awhile. This same family I'm talking about today, it took me over a month of reminders.

I'm fine with a doctor note saying I can use it expired, I'll attach it right to the epi pen. I know for sure if my licensor came in and checked my meds box and saw they are expired I'd be written up!

Comment

I know this is the age of emails/texts but I'd tell them something like this (more than once if necessary) in person as well as putting a note in their bag.

Some people don't check their email everyday. I usually forget to. Same with texting. Notes get lost or not seen.

Then, if they show up without it Monday, I'd refuse to let them stay till I had it.

Laurel

Comment

April 2013 - I go through the meds box about every 5-6 months. I did check online and most said an epi that's expired needs to be replaced. I dont' think I'd risk it with that.

I am also annoyed because last year I had two kids with allergies - emailed both parents - one came in the next day with a new one and thanked me for noticing, she said she hadn't checked it in awhile. This same family I'm talking about today, it took me over a month of reminders.

I'm fine with a doctor note saying I can use it expired, I'll attach it right to the epi pen. I know for sure if my licensor came in and checked my meds box and saw they are expired I'd be written up!
                            Off the record, as long as the Epi is clear (mine has a see through area on the pen shaft) they are okay. Any discoloration, cloudiness etc they are NOT okay.

That's from my pharmacist I've used since I was six years old .

That being said, you have EVERY RIGHT to refuse care until they replace them

Comment

Originally posted by Laurel View Post
                              I know this is the age of emails/texts but I'd tell them something like this (more than once if necessary) in person as well as putting a note in their bag.

Some people don't check their email everyday. I usually forget to. Same with texting. Notes get lost or not seen.

Then, if they show up without it Monday, I'd refuse to let them stay till I had it.

Laurel
                              In person communication only also leaves you open to no record of this conversation ever taking place or a he said she said issue. I always speak in person but send some form of written reminder as well. Texts and emails allow you to show the flow of conversation or lack of in some cases.

If this client is turned away on Monday and then tries to not pay for the day even if required to by a contract it is best to have as much supported physical evidence as possible. This is the only reason why I allow texting and emails.

Comment

Working...
                              X