More or Less????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by williams2008 View Post
    Our meals be filling and I don't want to not give it to them in case they are really still hungry. I have a 3 year old that weighs at least 70lbs give or take a few pounds and he is solid!
    I feel you!! My dd weighs 72 lbs and she is almost 6. However, she has sleep Apnea- which is the cause of her weight gain. Poor sleep = weight gain. I have to help her loose weight or her sleep apnea will not go away and she will continue to gain. It is a vicious cycle...

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
      My kiddos can have seconds......
      or thirds
      or fourths if they want.

But we have a few rules:
      • No additional servings unless ALL food is gone from plate
      • All additional servings start with veggies first
      I have always given them seconds, but sometimes I wonder do they really want it or do they eat it because It's given to them. One little boy comes through the door saying "Mrs. Alicia, I'm ready to eat and he will say that all day"!

Comment

seconds are for hungry kids so if you have cleaned your plate you may have seconds. if there is still some after everyone gets seconds you may have 3rds but usually there is not enough for 3rds.
        It:: will wait

Comment

I will not give seconds on fruit.

Veggies are unlimited.

Protein I'll give seconds.

Grain I will give seconds IF they've eaten something other than grains in the first place.

Comment

I'll give seconds, but only if they eat everything. Then they can choose what they want seconds of and I just give them a small scoop. I have a boy who would eat all day long if you let him-he eats more than mom at supper every night.

Comment

My state requires we give seconds on bread and fruit or veggies. I do not give seconds unless they already ate everything on their plate.

Comment

Originally posted by LaLa1923 View Post
                I feel you!! My dd weighs 72 lbs and she is almost 6. However, she has sleep Apnea- which is the cause of her weight gain. Poor sleep = weight gain. I have to help her loose weight or her sleep apnea will not go away and she will continue to gain. It is a vicious cycle...
                OT - but I had never heard of this until a month ago when my 6 year old nephew had his tonsils removed for the same reason. Apparently, his tonsils were causing sleep apnea and the sleep apnea was causing him to be overweight. I would never have linked all of those together.

Sorry for going OT

Comment

Thank you'll for your responses! As long as they continue to eat what is on their plate, I will continue to give seconds when they ask for it.

I was tyring to make a decision as to whether I should continue to do it or not. It's not like I feed them a lot of junk and with me is probably where they get their healthiest meal from! Thanks again!

Comment

I do seconds but they have to have eaten all of their first before they get anything else. No seconds on sweets or the rare treats we have. If I feel a child really isn't that hungry and it's more for something to do then I offer veggies only or an apple. I serve breakfast, lunch & 2 snacks so it's not like they have to wait long. Also, none of my kids are even the slightest bit overweight.

Comment

Originally posted by williams2008 View Post
                      Thank you'll for your responses! As long as they continue to eat what is on their plate, I will continue to give seconds when they ask for it.

I was tyring to make a decision as to whether I should continue to do it or not. It's not like I feed them a lot of junk and with me is probably where they get their healthiest meal from! Thanks again!
                      If they ask and they have eaten everything and you have enough for seconds+, then why not let them? I think that if you have a pretty well balanced program with lots of large motor activity planned into your day then the kiddos will burn off the food they consume.

Also if you are only serving healthy nutritious foods, then I surely wouldn't worry about them filling up on that.

I have told a child "no seconds" if they have a habit of not eating the seconds I give them because then I think they are only asking because their friends did.

I have also told certain kids no seconds+ on certain food that I know they tend to go overboard on. I have on DCK that goes hog wild on breads and I think she needs to balance that out by eating more veggies/fruits so I encourage seconds for that child to be something from the veggie/fruit group verses the bread group...kwim?

Comment

Originally posted by MarinaVanessa View Post
                        This is what I do too except that I serve seconds only if they eat everything on their plate BUT I serve seconds of what they want.
                        This is what I do, you can have more only if you eat everything, and then I just give them what they want. My son is a big breakfast eater he will eat 3 bowls of oatmeal or malt o meal, this morning he had 6 whole wheat and oat pancakes with real maple syrup, he is tiny, I give him as much as he asks for as long as he ate the other stuff, and then he usually eats barely anything else the rest of the day.
                        edited to add, that I do not do seconds for snacks unless the want more veggies, otherwise snack theres no seconds.

Comment

In my class, we do 2nd's or 3rd's (if there is extra). But I only give more of a certain food if they eat the rest of the food on their plate. So if "Bobby" ate all his pineapple and left all his chicken, I'd tell him to eat some of his chicken first. I also won't do 3rd's until everyone has had a chance for 2nd's.

Comment

Originally posted by craftymissbeth View Post
                            OT - but I had never heard of this until a month ago when my 6 year old nephew had his tonsils removed for the same reason. Apparently, his tonsils were causing sleep apnea and the sleep apnea was causing him to be overweight. I would never have linked all of those together.

Sorry for going OT
                            We did have her tonsils removed and we had hoped that would do the trick. It did help but she still has it.

I never thought to link the two either!

Comment

Originally posted by Trummynme View Post
                              I will not give seconds on fruit.

Veggies are unlimited.

Protein I'll give seconds.

Grain I will give seconds IF they've eaten something other than grains in the first place.
                              Some of them need a push on eating more veggies, so I may cut out the seconds on fruit and tell them they can only have more veggies!

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                                If they ask and they have eaten everything and you have enough for seconds+, then why not let them? I think that if you have a pretty well balanced program with lots of large motor activity planned into your day then the kiddos will burn off the food they consume.

Also if you are only serving healthy nutritious foods, then I surely wouldn't worry about them filling up on that.

I have told a child "no seconds" if they have a habit of not eating the seconds I give them because then I think they are only asking because their friends did.

I have also told certain kids no seconds+ on certain food that I know they tend to go overboard on. I have on DCK that goes hog wild on breads and I think she needs to balance that out by eating more veggies/fruits so I encourage seconds for that child to be something from the veggie/fruit group verses the bread group...kwim?

Comment

Working...
                                X