Constipation Frustration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Constipation Frustration

My poor DCG (almost 2) started grunting, red faced, and seemed upset. DCB (brother) mentioned she does that when she poops. Well, turned out to be huge, and some stuck, so I gave DCM a heads up text. Poor thing, I felt so bad for her!!! She got the rest out just a little later- no fuss or anything, but I was checking for it after the first.
    Mom replied back, along the lines of "weird, she must need fruit- we give her lots of fruit. I can send some if you need ot" Um, yeah, I have fruit with each meal. And fresh, not canned or anything less healthy! And since DCB mentioned that that's what happens at home, I get a feeling mom might be trying to get passive with me I don't like feeling like I'm being accused of something like not feeding the kids healthy, when I've specifically been buying and making EXTRA good foods while they're here, since mom made the comment about "healthy foods/ not a lot of sugar at home" on their All About Me paper! Oh well, unless I have any comments about it, I'll just let it lie.

Awe poor thing!!! You and her both!! It's horrible to see one in pain... I have a 15 month old who put she doesn't get any sugar, cookies,Metcalfe at home.. But she weighs 30 lbs... And is chunky as can be . Here she eats great and accepts any type of food. She's a great eater. She sometimes gets constipated too so I just help mom monitor that and occasionally we have to use warm apple juice to help or pedialax...

Comment

Sometimes stuff just happens... or in this case doesn't.

One time when I was subbing, I hadn't been there in a while and there was a new baby (about 10 months at the time) and I was feeding him lunch and he kept fussing and biting the front of his chair so I assumed that he was just teething. Then after lunch I changed him and it was pretty much clean except for a thin BM skid mark so I thought either he was starting to go or he was constipated because he was still fussy. I checked his diaper a few times before nap time after I changed him and still nothing. So I figured he would just cry and let us now if he goes during nap time or have a full diaper after nap time. So two hours later after nap time he is still a little fussy so I change him again and he has another skid mark; at that point I realized he is constipated; I gave the provider and the parents the heads up. Later that day I found out (I saw a note in the baby food cabinet) that the poor kid also had baby epilepsy! He was on medication for it, so that could had caused it too.

Comment

It could be a lack of fluids & not diet causing it too. My daughter has to be reminded to drink throughout the day because she does not drink a lot at meals.

Comment

Yeah, she won't drink much for me either, although I always have her sippy and encourage it. I sure hope mom isn't blaming me- she is a shy little one!

Comment

Dont take it personally OP. I really hate to see providers rehashing parent comments over and over in their mind and worrying about what it may or may not mean. You did your job....providing healthy food and notifying parents if anything unusual is happening. After that, just let any comments go. If the parents start having a problem with your program, they can discuss it directly in a mature and respectful way. I purposefully ignore passive aggressive comments. If they really get over the top, I will straight out say "From your comments, it seems this may be a bigger issue to you. Would you like to set up a meeting to discuss this appropriately and work on a solution together?" funny thing is that I have never had a parent take me up on the offer. They hum and haw and realize they are being rude and back track in some way after that.

Comment

This happened to my niece when she was around the same age. Her parents seemed to think it was just a random thing even though it happened on at least a weekly basis.

Come to find out, the massive amounts of cheese she was eating was just messing her up big time. (Like cheese slices, cheese sticks, pieces of cheese blocks, etc. any time she asked which was ALL the time )

Her parents always talked about how well she ate... well, yeah, she does a fantastic job of inhaling that cheese!

Probably not the same that's going on with your DCK, but thought I'd give it a shot

Comment

Working...
              X