Daycare Dangers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daycare Dangers

With more and more women working full-time, the question of what to do with your children arises. One of the more obvious answers is daycare. But, should you really put your child in daycare? There have been countless stories of children being abused by daycare workers. There have even been deaths of young babies and toddlers due to the negligence of daycare workers. There are many other risks associated with daycare, too, such as your child not having a secure attachment to you, or behavioral problems that arise in the early elementary years. Granted, not every daycare is bad, but the best way to raise your child is at home. What experiences have you all had with daycare/raising your child at home?

Interesting, but has there not been a study where more children have been hurt at home in the care of their parents, than with childcare providers?

Comment

Are you asking parents to share their negative experiences with daycare providers?

Or are you asking daycare providers to share their experiences?

Comment

I haven't heard about that study, but what I have heard about is all the news stories about horrible things happening to young children in daycare. Here are a few I heard about recently:

• March 2013- a one year old died from falling out of a high chair while he was unsupervised (http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/...nse-sta/nW5yS/)
        • March 2013- an eleven month old baby died suffocating from a car seat chest strap (http://www.burbankleader.com/the818n...0,645385.story)
        • March 2013- a daycare worker was found putting a sleeping aide in toddlers’ sippy cups (http://www.gilroydispatch.com/articl...1cce2aeb5.html)
        • August 2010- a two year old was left in a hot van all day and died (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq51aRzCZbc)
        • May 2012- Fox Files did a segment on daycare, and they found cases of daycare workers hitting and shaking children, calling children names such as “retards” or “drug babies”, putting hot sauce in babies’ mouths for biting, and not changing diapers all day (http://fox2now.com/2012/05/08/fox-fi...ycare-dangers/)

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
          Are you asking parents to share their negative experiences with daycare providers?

Or are you asking daycare providers to share their experiences?
          I am asking for both!

Comment

But, should you really put your child in daycare?
            That's like asking "Should you really put your children in a car?"

There have been countless stories of children being hurt by drivers of cars. There have even been deaths of young babies and toddlers due to the negligence of drivers. There are many other risks associated with driving, too, such as your child not having a secure attachment, or behavioral problems that arise from being in a carseat. Granted, not every driver is bad, but the best way to get your child home would be to walk. What experiences have you all had with driving your child home?

There are good daycares and bad. You have to make an informed decision, look for a reputable daycare, be observant. It is just like everything else, you never hear the stories of countless daycare providers going above and beyond for children. You only hear of the few the are rotten. I am sure I could find tons of articles where the parents have done horrible things to their own children if I looked. Horrible things happen and not just at daycare.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
              I am asking for both!
              For every bad story you post about daycare and abuse, there are twice (if not more) as many stories about parental abuse.

The majority (75 percent) of the children were victims of neglect (531,413 children), meaning a parent or guardian failed to provide for the child's basic needs. Forms of neglect include medical neglect (15,074 children), educational neglect, physical neglect, and emotional neglect.
              • Just over 1,500 children die each year in the United States from child abuse and neglect
              • 676,569 children were the victims of child abuse in 2011
              • 70 percent of child abuse victims are under age three years old
              • over 80 percent of the abused children were abused by one the child's parent
              • neglect is the most common form of child abuse, followed by physical abuse, sexual abuse, psychological abuse, and lastly, medical neglect

There are dangers in EVERYTHING you choose to do. Placing your child in child care and working outside the home is a CHOICE not something anyone is forced to do.

Good parents do it every day. Good providers care for children every day.

The trick is to find a daycare provider you are comfortable with and trust. It goes BOTH ways. You can't simply post statistics of how many kids are killed or hurt in child care without viewing the other side of the story too.

Many of the members of this board are child care providers because they made the choice to stay home and raise their own children.

Every parent has a choice to work or not work if they have children.

I don't think it is going to help anyone (parents or providers) to paint child care in a negative light.

Comment

Yes, there are cases of abuse at home, as well as in daycare. It is very important, however, for parents to look up information and choose a good daycare. A lot of the neglect and abuse stories in daycare occur in unlicensed daycares. A better solution would be to use a licensed daycare, which is regulated by the state.

Comment

I'm sorry, but this smacks of a troll.
                  Hee hee! Look, I have a signature!

Comment

There have been studies that show children at home are more likely to have injuries vs daycare. I think unfortunately there are bad daycare providers out there and the media jumps on those stories. However, there are MANY great daycare providers out there. Just like there are bad parents and wonderful, caring, involved parents. It goes both ways...

In a good home daycare kids are supervised, they learn and do all kinds of preschool activities and crafts, they eat healthy well balanced meals. This is not always the case at home. Some of these kids are unsupervised, not taught anything, they eat junk food and soda all day long etc... Sad, but being home isn't always the best. Even the so called "good" parents will bring the kids to daycare even when they have a day off, the kids are in care for the longest time possible, these parents do not want to parent.

This is a topic that could go back and forth all day, what exactly are you trying to get out of this? Kids get abused in daycare, it's awful and those stories are all over the news-there are a TON of great providers that don't get media attention because it's not news. Kids get abused at home as well- a lot...so I just don't see your point?

Comment

To assume a licensed daycare is safer than unlicensed is not true either...

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                        Yes, there are cases of abuse at home, as well as in daycare. It is very important, however, for parents to look up information and choose a good daycare. A lot of the neglect and abuse stories in daycare occur in unlicensed daycares. A better solution would be to use a licensed daycare, which is regulated by the state.
                        Uh huh! Sorry but that is NOT the case at all!

A license does NOT guarantee safety and quality any more than a driver's license can guarantee that you are a good driver.

Personally, I'd like to know what your actual point is.

Are you trying to discredit child cares? or parents?

Many states do NOT require providers to be licensed or registered.

Nanny care has no regulations and there are countless stories of nanny abuse/killings too.

I know many unlicensed child care providers that are freakin' fantastic and many licensed providers who make me ashamed to be in this field with them so having license verses not having one has NOTHING to do with abuse, neglect or poor care. :confused:

Unless you are looking for something specific for your own research, please do some research before coming to a forum made up of 99% providers and make statements such as you did.

I am not trying to be rude and am actually trying to be helpful but I just don't really understand what it is you are looking for.....

Please elaborate.......

Comment

I would like to ask the OP what her own experiences are and what are her purposes in asking such a question on a home daycare forum? Do you have a real reason for asking, or just trying to stir up trouble?

"Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here."

The above quote is the heading of this section

Comment

A troll or a poorly chosen forum to post this topic on.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverSabre25 View Post
                              I'm sorry, but this smacks of a troll.
                              Originally posted by Oneluckymom View Post
                              A troll or a poorly chosen forum to post this topic on.
                              Part of me does believe troll but since the OP is replying back and forth, I figure we atleast owe it to them to ask what the point is.

If there is no point or purpose other than to stir up drama, we will know.

So again, as asked,

OP~ WHAT exactly is your point? What information are you looking for and why?

Please elaborate on your intentions and if you aren't a troll and really are looking for information, you might just hit the jack pot and have a whole lot of providers in tons of different environments, BOTH licensed and unlicensed helping you out.

Comment

Working...
                              X