Got My Square Reader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got My Square Reader

Ok...so I've got everything all set up and it appears to be just the way you'd expect. However, when I ordered it, I found a list of phones it won't work properly with. I do not have one of those fancy phones, just a cheap one...but it is android.

How will I know if it's going to work or not properly? Would there be an error message? I don't want to use it on a client and then find it didn't work and not get paid.

Suggest you do a penny transaction to test it. They may even have a test mode. Usually you can void a charge while it is still in Unsettled Transaction" mode.

Comment

Okay, what is a square reader? :confused:

Comment

Originally posted by Crystal View Post
        Okay, what is a square reader? :confused:
        I believe its a devise you can know plug into your phone, swipe a debit/credit card and it pays the childcare bill.

Alot of small businesses are know using them. Awesome for people that work out in the field-contractors, plumbers, etc.
        Each day is a fresh start
        Never look back on regrets
        Live life to the fullest
        We only get one shot at this!!

Comment

Not that I want to advertise them but I like the Domain name www.Square.com

Comment

I love the idea of these readers just not having to have fees subtracted

Comment

They have a list of compatible android models on their website. I have the one from Paypal. What is the transaction fee/percentage with Square???

Nvm. They're about the same

Comment

Originally posted by KnoxMom View Post
                They have a list of compatible android models on their website. I have the one from Paypal. What is the transaction fee/percentage with Square???
                The fee per use is 2.75%, which for 100.00 would be 2.50. I don't think that's too bad considering fees at an atm are usually about 3.00. All of my families pay in cash except my state subsidized families and the one in particular for which I decided to go this route was excited to hear she wouldn't have to go to the atm and said she will be able to pay me first thing in the morning instead of at pick up on pay days.

The other family who runs second as to the reason I wanted to do this usually comes to pick up...then runs to the bank for cash.

With the square, you can either swipe the card for a fee of 2.75%, or manually enter the numbers which has a fee of 3.00% plus .15 cents.

I wanted to test mine out so I actually used my own bank card for the account I have linked to it and it worked....

I'm so excited!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rmc20021 View Post
                  The fee per use is 2.75%, which for 100.00 would be 2.50. I don't think that's too bad considering fees at an atm are usually about 3.00. All of my families pay in cash except my state subsidized families and the one in particular for which I decided to go this route was excited to hear she wouldn't have to go to the atm and said she will be able to pay me first thing in the morning instead of at pick up on pay days.

The other family who runs second as to the reason I wanted to do this usually comes to pick up...then runs to the bank for cash.

With the square, you can either swipe the card for a fee of 2.75%, or manually enter the numbers which has a fee of 3.00% plus .15 cents.

I wanted to test mine out so I actually used my own bank card for the account I have linked to it and it worked....

I'm so excited!!!!!
                  Not sure what your plan is but if I remember right, the fee cannot be charged back to the parent.

Someone a while back mentioned that and just wanted to bring it up again in case anyone was planning on doing so.

I think they said, it was right in the laws of use for the square reader...you know the teeny tiny print.

Comment

I ordered mine this morning! I doubt anyone will use it but I thought it'd be a great tool to have for that just in case moment.

I'm also forwarding the fee onto the parents for this service.

Comment

I'm a little dense... :: but does it tell you immediately if the client has insufficent funds? If they used a debit card and didn't have the money to pay, I was just wondering how long until you knew that info.

I assume it wouldn't be much different than having a check with insufficient funds, but I was wondering if you are still then charged the fees on top of the usual stuff...

Comment

Originally posted by wdmmom View Post
                        I ordered mine this morning! I doubt anyone will use it but I thought it'd be a great tool to have for that just in case moment.

I'm also forwarding the fee onto the parents for this service.
                        The site says this:
                        Surcharges

Beginning January 27, 2013, due to a settlement approved by the United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York involving Visa, MasterCard and various financial institutions, merchants in the United States and U.S. Territories are now allowed to impose a surcharge on consumers when a credit card is used for payment.

There are currently 10 states with laws that prohibit surcharges of any type. These laws are not affected by the settlement and remain in effect: California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Oklahoma, and Texas. Additional states are considering similar such laws, so you should continue to monitor this issue if you plan to charge a surcharge.

If you do decide to apply a surcharge it is your responsibility to meet all legal and card network requirements which include the following:
                        Surcharges may only be applied to credit card transactions, not debit cards or pre-paid cards.
                        • You can only charge your customer as much as you are charged for processing the credit card transaction.
                        • The surcharge has to be disclosed to the customer before the transaction via prominent signage.
                        • The surcharge must be listed separately on the transaction receipt. At this time, we do not provide a surcharge feature within the app itself. One option is to use the tax feature.
                        • The surcharge must be applied universally to credit cards from all payment Networks (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover).

Comment

I will do one of two things...either charge the parent at the time I run their card by adding the fee onto what their childcare fees are, onto their card, or I may raise my tuition fees by 5.00 per week in order to cover the fees and just cover it myself.

Comment

Working...
                          X