At What Age?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At What Age?

At what age do you expect the kids to be able to put on their jacket and zip up on their own?

I start around age 2-2 1/2 teaching the kids to get jackets on (lay it on the floor and flip it over the head method). Zipping we work on later, about age 3. Dcg is coming in a fleece that is HUGE on her and having almost a mini-meltdown because she can't get it on right or zip it up. She had the same one last year and it wasn't this big of a problem. I'm going to tell mom to send a different jacket from now on because I'm not going to put up with crying over a jacket from an almost 5 year old, especially when I know she can do it with the right size jacket. I just don't get how parents think or don't think sometimes

Originally posted by kitkat View Post
    At what age do you expect the kids to be able to put on their jacket and zip up on their own?

I start around age 2-2 1/2 teaching the kids to get jackets on (lay it on the floor and flip it over the head method). Zipping we work on later, about age 3. Dcg is coming in a fleece that is HUGE on her and having almost a mini-meltdown because she can't get it on right or zip it up. She had the same one last year and it wasn't this big of a problem. I'm going to tell mom to send a different jacket from now on because I'm not going to put up with crying over a jacket from an almost 5 year old, especially when I know she can do it with the right size jacket. I just don't get how parents think or don't think sometimes
    I'd love to hear other responses. I have 3yo dcb who cannot hardly put on or take off ANYTHING. He can't even slide his feet in his shoes....can't take either off also. He can't even put on his socks. He definitely can't put on his own jacket, he CAN take it off. It drives me bonkers and I don't know how to teach him to do any of it without doing it halfway. He's the baby of 4 and I think they just do everything for him!

I'll have to try the jacket trick once it gets a little chillier.

Comment

I think they should at least start trying by 2; by 2.5 all of my dc kids could put their shoes and jackets on, but need help with tying and zipping. I have four 2.5 - 3.5 who can do it all; coats, shoes, zip, tie ~ the whole nine yards.

I'm quite proud of them

Why do parents set their children up for failure? It makes me crazy...

Comment

I expect them to be able to put coats on by 3, starting traing at 2. I don't expect zippering before 4 altough I start teaching it around 3.

Comment

Every child is different you can not expect one kid to be the same as the other I put my daycare kids jacket and shoes on till age 3 and help if they need help after that my kids usually know how to zip their own jackets at 5 and tie shoes anywhere between ages 5 to7 years old but some kids can do it earlier or later. I know with my own 3 kids my little girl is 2 and can put her own jacket and shoes on where as my boys didnt do there own jacket till 3 and shoes till 4 and they both couldnt tie till age 7.

Comment

I start teaching the over the head for putting on jackets around 2 (I've had some 20m+ do this). I zip them all up though. Around age 3, I begin the zipper for them and they can pull it up the rest of the way.

Comment

Working...
            X