Defiant 3 Yr Old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
    Thank you. Do you know what the parents have done to help the situation or what tactics you have implemented to help?

The biggest thing that they have changed is enforcing basic things that they were not. Example: when he started here he was completely potty trained, but refused to wash his hands, I told him he must, and EVERY TIME he would have a melt down and start pushing toys around, screaming etc... I explained to his mother that if a state auditor was here and saw him not wash his hands, I could get dinged for that. Also- he just needs to wash his hands, point blank.
    They have started enforcing stricter limits on bedtime, and playtime.

They also have changed his eating habbits (or the say they have) I asked them how often he drink straight juice (he shows up with a bottle of juice every morning) they said that they aren't diluting juice anymore. I explained to them that he gets here and goes crazy, and then crashes into a whiny mess and they have stopped the juice in the morning. He drinks straight water here all day and never asks for anything else, I don't understand why you would give a 3 yo straight juice on a daily basis.

Comment

Originally posted by MCC View Post
      The biggest thing that they have changed is enforcing basic things that they were not. Example: when he started here he was completely potty trained, but refused to wash his hands, I told him he must, and EVERY TIME he would have a melt down and start pushing toys around, screaming etc... I explained to his mother that if a state auditor was here and saw him not wash his hands, I could get dinged for that. Also- he just needs to wash his hands, point blank.
      They have started enforcing stricter limits on bedtime, and playtime.

They also have changed his eating habbits (or the say they have) I asked them how often he drink straight juice (he shows up with a bottle of juice every morning) they said that they aren't diluting juice anymore. I explained to them that he gets here and goes crazy, and then crashes into a whiny mess and they have stopped the juice in the morning. He drinks straight water here all day and never asks for anything else, I don't understand why you would give a 3 yo straight juice on a daily basis.
      Thanks for the info. This family I'm talking about definately needs to reinforce rules with him. The dad even gets mad at the mom because she coddles him so bad, but he's not much better. Like I said initially after hearing that he hit another child, why in the hell would you sit there and allow him to take his sweatshirt on and off 3 times just because he didn't want your help. When my son was in daycare, if I would have received a bad report, I would have put his coat on and took his butt home. I woudl never have let him play control games with the sweatshirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Play Care View Post
        I know some might disagree, but another provider I know used to have a spot set up away from the main play area but still in her line of supervision. The aggressive child played there, with the toys she provided(and what was in there for the AM was in all day, they could not swap or share, etc.). They were not allowed near the other children at all (even for meals) while they were behaving aggressively.
        I don't think that's mean. I have done it before when nothing else worked. I had DCG (3 yo) pick out a few toys, laid a blanket on the floor and told her that was her play spot, since she couldn't play with her friends without physically yanking toys out of their hands "because she wanted them". It worked very very well.

Comment

Originally posted by blandino View Post
          I don't think that's mean. I have done it before when nothing else worked. I had DCG (3 yo) pick out a few toys, laid a blanket on the floor and told her that was her play spot, since she couldn't play with her friends without physically yanking toys out of their hands "because she wanted them". It worked very very well.
          I don't either. But I know some providers who would cry about "isolating" the child and not "teaching" them anything. I disagree, especially with a 3 yo who is manipulating the situation.

I usually find that once kids know they can't get away with the nonsense at my house, they are very good for me, even when they are horrible for their parents.

Blankets and other "loveys" are for nap time only here. When kids carry the item it gets dirty, lost, etc. There's nothing like getting a call at 9:00PM because Susie can't find her blankie and won't go to sleep and do I have it

Comment

Originally posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
            He body slammed another dcb earlier so I told him that was it, if I see it again, he is not getting his blanket that he brings from home for nap. Well, right before nap he walked up and smacked a second dcb in the face. So, no blanket. Do you think that’s mean? I am running out of things to do with him.

Before anyone says to term him, I cannot do that right now. My husband is unemployed and this is our only income.
            Not mean at all - he was warned ahead of time - he has to learn there are reactions to his actions. (coffee hasn't kicked in - not the exact words I want to use but you get my gist)

It doesn't sound like it's going to get better because the parents are spoiling him.

Start advertising for a replacement now and let him go when you find one.

Comment

Working...
            X